Rain gear advice please

mod7rem

FNG
I've been hunting goats and stone's sheep for close to 15 yrs now, always using some form of "waterproof breathable" fabric. So far everything seems to soak through pretty easily. The last few years I've been using eVent jacket (integral designs) and eVent pants (westcomb). This year hunting sheep they both soaked through with light but steady rain, and they dont take long to soak through when brush busting. I think I'd rather be wet from sweat than freezing cold rain and snow. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Helly Hansen Impertech, relatively light weight . Also, Peter Storm, if you can find it!!

I have also never experienced truly waterproof , breathable rain gear!! They need to test all raingear in Yakutat, on the North Gulf Coast . 200+ inches per year!!
They need to use it in the field, walking through brush, packing through alders, etc., not standing in the shower!!!

Bob

Last edited:

halg

Lil-Rokslider
Rain gear usually gives you a choice between getting wet from your own sweat or have a little soak through. I prefer a good 3 layer goretex (or equivalent) with big pit zips to help some heat escape. When using "breathable" rain gear, always, always ALWAYS assume that the DWR coatingon the outer ply is junk - especially the factory DWR treatments. Before every season, or as soon as you buy rain gear, wash it in tech wash to remove whatever under performing DWR is there. Immediately spray the living heck out of it with Revive-X, paying particular attention to seams and shoulders, and then put it in the dryer on high heat to activate the revive-x. You will find that your rain gear protects you much better - this treatment needs to be repeated, depending on how much you use it and how much abrasion from your pack it encounters. Search YouTube for revive-x and see how people do it if you have any questions.

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
There is no such thing as a breathable waterproof fabric. That's a fact. Either go with the breathable gear and get a little wet. Or give with old school pvc and get hot and sweaty and wet.

I dont mind getting a little wet. The problem is getting soaked through with icy water that soaks my inner pants and keeps soaking through so that eventually it soaks all the way down my socks into my boots. At the same time it sucks the body heat up because the cold water keeps coming in. I might have to try the PVC, at this point I think I'd rather deal with sweat and hopefully retain body heat. At least the PVC stuff is cheaper to try out:) Thanks for the reply.

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
Rain gear usually gives you a choice between getting wet from your own sweat or have a little soak through. I prefer a good 3 layer goretex (or equivalent) with big pit zips to help some heat escape. When using "breathable" rain gear, always, always ALWAYS assume that the DWR coatingon the outer ply is junk - especially the factory DWR treatments. Before every season, or as soon as you buy rain gear, wash it in tech wash to remove whatever under performing DWR is there. Immediately spray the living heck out of it with Revive-X, paying particular attention to seams and shoulders, and then put it in the dryer on high heat to activate the revive-x. You will find that your rain gear protects you much better - this treatment needs to be repeated, depending on how much you use it and how much abrasion from your pack it encounters. Search YouTube for revive-x and see how people do it if you have any questions.

I always wash them with Nikwax tech wash but sounds like I'm missing a step. I'll try the Revive-x. Thanks.

Living in W Washington I deal with heavy rains during modern elk season. I cant find nothing better that Helly Hansen Impertech for waterproof, but its too sweaty. So I stop on REI talusphere for light/moderate rain but for heavy I wear Coghlan's rain poncho on top of Talusphere.

I've been hunting goats and stone's sheep for close to 15 yrs now, always using some form of "waterproof breathable" fabric. So far everything seems to soak through pretty easily. The last few years I've been using eVent jacket (integral designs) and eVent pants (westcomb). This year hunting sheep they both soaked through with light but steady rain, and they dont take long to soak through when brush busting. I think I'd rather be wet from sweat than freezing cold rain and snow. Any recommendations? Thanks.

New Columbia outdry extreme. It won't wet out, but with any WPB pit zips are a big plus. Think they have a grey.

I have the jacket in yellow and wear it off shore and fishing. I wore the puffy version last week for two days in Idaho as it snowed/rained 6" and was fine with just wool base layer underneath. I got some jokes about the teal color but I was warm and dry. Overheated a little hike but took a few miles, but it was also the puffy version so should of been some what hot. Glassing it was a true blessing

Last edited:
I have made four hunting trips to Kodiak over the last couple years using only my Kuiu Chugach gear, and have been very happy with it. Some trips have seen more rain than others but rain on all trips and so far they have never wetted out. This year I'll be taking my Chugach but, recently bought a set of the Teton's and plan on only using them. Hopefully I'll have some good reviews when I get back.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago (15 or more), I bought a very inexpensive, light weight hooded waterproof jacket from Eddie Bauer. The outer layer is constructed of treated nylon but it is lined with a rubbery material with fully taped seams. It does not breathe well but does have a velcro vent across the middle of the back that offers the ability to release some heat. This jacket packs in is own pocket and has never let me down. Over the years, I have hunted a number of times in multiple days of steady rain and did not get wet or even damp. If the jacket ever wears out, I don't know that it can be replaced. Wish I had bought two.

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll be going back out for a goat hunt soon so I washed pants and jacket in tech wash, as usual, but this time I retreated with nikwax TX-Direct spray on. I couldnt find any revive-x here in town so I'll have to order some for next time. I think I'll have to be more diligent about replenishing the DWR coating. The Columbia Outdry Ex looks really interesting, might be trying that for next season.

jtw

WKR
What have you tried? Most cheap rain gear (<200 for a jacket) is garbage for waterproof breathable. I went through a lot of rain gear before I bought some arcteryx goretex gear made for climbing. It cost me about 800 for a jacket and suit but even in western washington November downpours I stay dry and comfortable. I also have a chugach set for earlier seasons where rain gear spends more time in my pack than on me.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I have made four hunting trips to Kodiak over the last couple years using only my Kuiu Chugach gear, and have been very happy with it. Some trips have seen more rain than others but rain on all trips and so far they have never wetted out. This year I'll be taking my Chugach but, recently bought a set of the Teton's and plan on only using them. Hopefully I'll have some good reviews when I get back.
Hey I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if you are still using the KUIU Church rain gear? I have the original (made in Canada) version from 2011 I think..is yours made in Canada too? throwing the set in the dryer on Medium setting helps..at least that is what I read somewhere..

There is no such thing as a breathable waterproof fabric. That's a fact. Either go with the breathable gear and get a little wet. Or give with old school pvc and get hot and sweaty and wet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
This

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
Hey I know this is an old post, but I was wondering how the KUIU “Tetons” did in Kodak? I see you mentioned you used the KUIU “Chugach” rain gear before the “Tetans” which did better? I personally own the original made in Canada “Chugach” it’s not the “NX” version and mine is from 2011-2012! I would really like to hear your thoughts and opinion on this rain gear!

Are your “Tetans” tops and bottoms both made in China? Also wondering if you treated both your Chugach’s and Tetans with Revive-x and dry them in high heat in the drier b4 going to Kodiak..do you do anything to them at all? Also wondering if you have any experience with Westcomb rain gear or any high-end brand that uses Schoeller “C-change” material? Have you had or anybody you know had better luck with c-change? I am not sure if they make that in camouflage at all? Just curious if there is anything better out there than KUIU’s original “Chugach” made in Canada rain gear for backcountry hunting or hunting bushwhacking in Kodiak? Thanks for your time I really appreciate it as I am always looking for better options out there that are hopefully NOT made in China!!! thx

Hey I know this is an old post, but I was wondering how the KUIU “Tetons” did in Kodak? I see you mentioned you used the KUIU “Chugach” rain gear before the “Tetans” which did better? I personally own the original made in Canada “Chugach” it’s not the “NX” version and mine is from 2011-2012! I would really like to hear your thoughts and opinion on this rain gear!

Are your “Tetans” tops and bottoms both made in China? Also wondering if you treated both your Chugach’s and Tetans with Revive-x and dry them in high heat in the drier b4 going to Kodiak..do you do anything to them at all? Also wondering if you have any experience with Westcomb rain gear or any high-end brand that uses Schoeller “C-change” material? Have you had or anybody you know had better luck with c-change? I am not sure if they make that in camouflage at all? Just curious if there is anything better out there than KUIU’s original “Chugach” made in Canada rain gear for backcountry hunting or hunting bushwhacking in Kodiak? Thanks for your time I really appreciate it as I am always looking for better options out there that are hopefully NOT made in China!!! thx
So that year (2016), I took both the Teton's and the Chugach and started off wearing the Teton's, and wore them for about 4-5 days while spiking out. They did very well with moderate rain, but around day 4 of the hunt a big storm rolled in and it rained/sleeted/snowed, and had gale force winds for 6 days almost non-stop. During that storm Kodiak saw it's largest rainfall ever recorded in a 24 hour period (over 6"), and needless to say, during that storm, all my rain gear eventually wetted out. I don't believe anything, short of rubber, wouldn't have wetted out under those conditions. So, all that said, I don't blame the gear for the failure that eventually occurred. Since that hunt, the Teton line has only been used once, by my son on a 10 day sheep hunt, a little over 2 years ago. We did experience some rain during that hunt, and the Teton's performed very well the entire time.

I have occasionally retreated the DWR by washing in Nixwax and then spraying with Nixwax after the wash.

Unfortunately, all of my breathable rain gear (3 sets of Chugach, and a set of Teton's and Yukon's), are all made overseas.

I've had really good luck with my sitka thunderhead jacket