Raiding the Larder

The growing season is well upon us. We're starting to get a few items from the garden already, which means I need to start doing inventory on jars, lids, and bands. I went into the larder yesterday and noticed possibly too many jars of beets and pickles. So i put a few jars of each in my bag and brought them to work as "snacks".

We still have lots of jelly and jam from last year so its gonna be a heavy pie year.

What extra's is everyone else having to eat a bit more of to make room for the batch of pickling and canning?

FLATHEAD

WKR
Havent really gotten into the canning as of yet.
We just eat whats in season as I have something in
the ground year round.
Currently have beans, peppers, squash, tomatoes and okra.
Just noticed a few minutes ago the leaf foot bugs have showed up.
Need to get my air rifle out and do some pest control.

It feels like growing season will never show up here. 45 and raining again today. Can see fresh snow up above 3,000 feet this morning. Drove up the Glen to Glacier View over the weekend and the trees were hardly starting to bud up that way. Lots of tourists in winter coats at the store this weekend! I haven't even put anything in the garden yet. Starts in the green house don't even want to peek through. The berries are doing well in this garbage though.

Went through my freezers yesterday to reorganize and remove broken package/burnt salmon for a new compost pile. Set out salmon to can another dozen 1/2 pints and what's left in the freezer will get us right to the season starting in a few weeks. Excited for some fresh Poke!

hunterjmj

WKR
We still have canned deer meat and tomato sauce. Been buying lids and jars since Covid to stock up. I'm guessing we have over 1000 wide mouth and 1000 regular lids. 😆 Probably overkill but we'll have lids for a long long time.

I'm still working on my 2021 moose. A jar a day for lunch at work. I think I have about 20 pounds in the freezer and about 40 half pint jars canned. A round of gout had me vary my diet a bit so the walleye and turkey is getting used up now.

It is a struggle to use all the meat I aquire in a timely fashion. I also have a small farm breeding a half dozen pigs along with raising a couple steers.

mi650

WKR
We usually can a fair amount every other year, and did quite a bit last summer. 3 bushels of tomatoes in various forms: Pasta & pizza sauces, whole & crushed tomatoes, a few pints of ketchup. We did a bushel and 1/2 of pickled beets, a bushel of bread & butter pickles, a dozen quarts of jalapenos. We froze 20 dozen ears of corn from a local farm, no contest the best corn we've ever had!

This year, we'll just stock up on whatever may be a little low. Doesn't sound like a lot I guess, but it's just the 2 of us so that will hold us for a while.

Just got our small garden in yesterday, had 3 nights with frost last week. Our neighbor is replanting his now after trying to get started about 4 weeks ago. I didn't have to tell him he was crazy for starting so early. He knew it, but did it anyway. :ROFLMAO:

OP
D
Just got our small garden in yesterday, had 3 nights with frost last week. Our neighbor is replanting his now after trying to get started about 4 weeks ago. I didn't have to tell him he was crazy for starting so early. He knew it, but did it anyway. :ROFLMAO:

Been there done that.. Sometimes you gotta gamble because you have the time on your hands. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it does not