Racoons on corn pile

I’m going to look into this. Don’t want to waste anything other than a hog.
If you can find a fur trader and get them to him before things start to stink some fur traders will buy a whole coon for 15 or 20 bucks. Not a lot of money but you kill enough of them and it pays for corn.

USA put up coon pelts at auction brought $3.50 or less this year.

No fur buyer is paying $15 for coons in the round, maybe $1.00.
Fair enough, its been a few years since I've dealt with anything like that. But the sentiment remains that they might not be completely worthless.

TxLite

WKR
Be mindful of trapping seasons and quit advertising your actions, unless you get a special permit to take em out.
Obviously varies state by state but Texas recreational harvest season of fur-bearing animals is year round

Edit to add- it also allows nuisance animals to be taken by landowners and agents at any time by any means

KenLee

WKR
Obviously varies state by state but Texas recreational harvest season of fur-bearing animals is year round

Edit to add- it also allows nuisance animals to be taken by landowners and agents at any time by any means
Cool. In South Carolina, you can shoot coons September 1st, but can't trap til December 1st

Bsax89

FNG
I am not trying to start any trouble but I guess I am looking for clarity on the issue. Where I am from people bait heavily and moan and complain about raccoons and the issues they "cause". How can someone blame an animal for taking advantage of a food source? You are literally throwing it on the ground for them. Is there something more appealing to deer as opposed to corn?

KenLee

WKR
I am not trying to start any trouble but I guess I am looking for clarity on the issue. Where I am from people bait heavily and moan and complain about raccoons and the issues they "cause". How can someone blame an animal for taking advantage of a food source? You are literally throwing it on the ground for them. Is there something more appealing to deer as opposed to corn?
Acorns

EdP

WKR
Check your state trapping regs before putting traps out. Some states specify a minimum spacing between traps.

Unfortunately, coons in the round have not brought $15-20 for many years. The prices Zap mentioned are more like it. They bring so little that many trappers don't bother with them anymore which is one reason there are so many.

With dog proofs, put the bait under the trigger and put a piece of plastic tubing on the trigger so it feels like food. I used fuel line heated to make it soft and easier to push on.

gbuz ee

FNG
I didn't want to shoot during deer season but the coons were insane! I finally just gave up, took a day off of deer hunting and put the 10/22 to work.

Never made sense to me to just kill something because you put bait out, Let’s see what else eats the corn besides the coons and deer,birds,squirrels and any other woods dwelling creature, why not kill those also. You I and everyone else that hunts deer and or puts out corn is actually invading the coons home front don’t want coons on your corn then don’t put out the corn.

Honyock

WKR
IMG_0741.jpeg
This is when I drop the hammer. They dump corn, chew up the shoots and ruined a solar panel on a spin feeder. I don’t dump corn and protein pellets on the ground. They've also figured out how to get the lid off so now I duct tape the lid.

TxLite

WKR
Never made sense to me to just kill something because you put bait out, Let’s see what else eats the corn besides the coons and deer,birds,squirrels and any other woods dwelling creature, why not kill those also. You I and everyone else that hunts deer and or puts out corn is actually invading the coons home front don’t want coons on your corn then don’t put out the corn.
For me it’s not about them eating the corn. I get that. It’s free food for them. The issue is when they are damaging several hundred dollar feeders and dumping 600lb of corn on the ground.

RocketRob16

Lil-Rokslider
This is a complex issue on the biological front. One aspect is that historically in many places, raccoons didn’t have the range across habitat types that they do today. Because of changes we’ve made to the landscape they tend to inhabit most or all of the landscape whereas historically they were confined much more so to river bottoms, creek drainages, etc.

On the population density side of things, the fur market’s collapse and legalization of baiting in many places has allowed the population to explode. This has had serious detrimental impacts on ground nesting bird species.

In summary, we have all had a hand knowingly or not, in changing the landscape dynamic. Killing raccoons around a corn feeder may be a waste in a way but the population is substantial and the ground nesting birds need a break. My personal opinion is that if you bait, you are artificially supplementing certain species and it is your duty to remove a certain number of those species to keep things balanced. What you do with the harvested game is up to you.

Yoder

WKR
I don't shoot bears for eating my garbage. I just stopped leaving my garbage outside.

pirogue

WKR
Call me soft but I feel bad for the fuckers. Can’t bring myself to kill them unless I’m gonna use them for something
these replies usually mean:
1) you don’t own or lease property and put out corn for deer,
2) you live where there are no turkey, or you don’t turkey hunt, therefore, don’t care how many nest they rob, and impact the turkey population.
3) you lack in creativity to use them for something like, among many things, Christmas tree ornaments.IMG_7322.jpeg