Racoons on corn pile

billp0806

FNG
Any ideas to keep racoons out of corn? Thought about trying garlic as I've heard that keeps them away. Just don't want to keep deer away too.

You will have to get rid of them. Or continue to feed them. The coons on our old hog lease in Florida learned how to get corn out of a feeder. They could climb up and swing it dumping corn out. If your dumping corn on the ground then its going to be fait game for anything that eats it.

RocketRob16

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered some NO-BS dog proofs to try out. I’ve had good luck with most of the different brands but I like to try them all. Surround your feeder with as many traps as you can. Space them far enough apart where if a coon gets caught in one trap he can’t reach a second trap.

*zap*

WKR
dogproof traps with canned fish for bait in them. Stake down well. You can pm me for better instructions.

TxLite

WKR
dogproof traps with canned fish for bait in them. Stake down well. You can pm me for better instructions.
I’ve had great luck just using dog food or table scraps too. Or, just putting corn from the feeder but that seems to take a little bit longer

*zap*

WKR
coons love the fish smell.....canned mackerel works good. You will get possums and skunks also....if you have dogs feed the meat to them but you might cook it first....

If you can find a fur trader and get them to him before things start to stink some fur traders will buy a whole coon for 15 or 20 bucks. Not a lot of money but you kill enough of them and it pays for corn.

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
This 3 legged coon succumbed to a dog proof trap last week.
He was too close to my chicken coop.

Fill the trap with dry dog food and dribble a little vanilla extract on it.

Coon Crack

IMG_3834.jpeg

Raccoon meat tastes pretty good. It's a little fatty but makes a good bbq (BBQ is a southern food item, cooked low and slow until tender, meat is pulled/shredded and sauce can be added to the finished product based on consumer's desire; BBQ is not to be confused with grilled food items).

Dogproof traps and square shovel...I will usually set traps after I fill the feeder. Come back the next day swinging. Not wasting ammo on coons

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I'd put all the dog proof traps you ordered out, or at least 6, probably 8-10 feet apart from each other.

"Extra" traps won't hurt and you may catch a raccoon in all of them, but they need to be far enough away from each other that the coons can't spin and reach out and pull on each other or they can use the leverage to get out or pull your stakes up.

I don't think its necessary to fill a dog proof trap. One piece of dog food or a piece of sardine or a hard candy, etc. will do it. If you fill it completely it will just take them longer to get to the trigger and more likely to catch a finger or spring it without catching the paw.

If they are coming out earlier than deer and you have a suppressor I'd just go for it with your deer rifle. I don't think it will harm your deer hunt unless its right before last useful light at which point you're pretty much done anyway.