R Value real world experiences

Lots of talk about pads but the one question I failed to see in my searches is...
How low can I go with a pad of R 4.2 for the average Joe?
This seems to be a common number.

I use my big agnes q core deluxe which is rated 4.3 all the time. But last weekend I went up to SW washington to help my buddy on a whitetail hunt. Low was 24. At 3am I woke up to take a leak and my sleeping bag zipper busted apart. So it turned into a blanket. My bag with my pad kept me, alive. I was not warm and my feet were freezing but I wasn't close to hypothermia. With a lesser pad or on the ground I would have been hiking back out or sitting in the fire at that point.

OP
bruceleroy
I use my big agnes q core deluxe which is rated 4.3 all the time. But last weekend I went up to SW washington to help my buddy on a whitetail hunt. Low was 24. At 3am I woke up to take a leak and my sleeping bag zipper busted apart. So it turned into a blanket. My bag with my pad kept me, alive. I was not warm and my feet were freezing but I wasn't close to hypothermia. With a lesser pad or on the ground I would have been hiking back out or sitting in the fire at that point.
What was your bag rated to? Do you sleep in full base layer including hat, gloves, socks?
I have endured blistering cold nights on uninsulated pads. I am almost 50. Im done being hard core. I want comfort.

Take with a tequila shooter....

Don't know the exact temperatures where it matters but I sure as hell know when I am off my XTherm especially once the temperatures drop.

Will go with the "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

Chart 1
R-VALUESEASON RATINGFAHRENHEITCELCIUS
R-12 SEASON50° F10° C
R-22-3 SEASON40° F4° C
R-33 SEASON30° F-1° C
R-43 SEASON25° F-4° C
R-54 SEASON20° F-7° C
R-64 SEASON0° F-18° C
R-74 SEASON+-20° F-28° C
R-84 SEASON EXTREME-38° F-36° C

Chart 2
Air Temperature (F):503025100-15-25-40
Minimum R-Value12345678
Air Temperature (C):10-1-4-12-18-26-32-40
Minimum R-Value12345678

Graph 1
1669602855262.png

OP
bruceleroy
I have googled the hell out of this topic and have yet to find this chart.
Another question if you will...is your thermarest noisy?

I have googled the hell out of this topic and have yet to find this chart.
Another question if you will...is your thermarest noisy?
Typically only hear it the first night and then am too tired to hear it after that. As long as you are not sleeping solo in a high danger area, you can always use ear plugs.

Edit/Update: No first hand experience but the higher R value Expeds may be worth looking at as well.

keller

WKR
I recently bought the exped 8r.have only used it 9 nights.temps from 32-20 degrees with a kuiu 0 degree bag and I was comfortable. To add i am very cold blooded and a cold sleeper. I take my stocking hat off on July 3 and put it back on July 5.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’ve used a R4.8 pad and a 30 deg bag with a 50deg quilt on top down to teens and have been warm. I attribute most of that to the pad. The pad defiantly wasn’t the weak point.

I’d try that one down to 10d or so without hesitation.

I did have on 200 weight thermals.

Appears my experience matches fairly close to above posted charts too!

S.Clancy

WKR
I have a Klymit Static V Insulated. I believe the R-value is 4.5-5. I have had that pad down below zero and slept fine, in my 15 degree bag with puffy's over my legs and upper body.

What was your bag rated to? Do you sleep in full base layer including hat, gloves, socks?
I have endured blistering cold nights on uninsulated pads. I am almost 50. Im done being hard core. I want comfort.
It was a cheap 30 degree bag. I didn't take all my stuff up because I wasn't checking a bag. I was in base layers, merino socks, beanie, no gloves, and a 500 fill puffy.

ljalberta

WKR
Down to about freezing for me personally. Anything below freezing and I’ll gladly take the Xtherm.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I am almost 50. Im done being hard core. I want comfort.
Then get an Xtherm which I believe is 5.7 R rating, and if you want even more comfort get the Exped Downmat 9. The Exped is much heavier and bulkier than the Xtherm. I have both, but if I want the best comfort I'll carry the Downmat......it's warmer and thicker.

BTW, you aren't related to a Joe Leroy are you?

OP
bruceleroy
Then get an Xtherm which I believe is 5.7 R rating, and if you want even more comfort get the Exped Downmat 9. The Exped is much heavier and bulkier than the Xtherm. I have both, but if I want the best comfort I'll carry the Downmat......it's warmer and thicker.

BTW, you aren't related to a Joe Leroy are you?
Not related. Its a name from a movie.

I have a Klymit Static V Insulated. I believe the R-value is 4.5-5. I have had that pad down below zero and slept fine, in my 15 degree bag with puffy's over my legs and upper body.
Interestingly enough I keep reading that with standardized testing that Static V Insulated scores more around 1.6 I believe it was, it was in the 1's somewhere.

S.Clancy

WKR
Interestingly enough I keep reading that with standardized testing that Static V Insulated scores more around 1.6 I believe it was, it was in the 1's somewhere.
Interesting. That has not been my experience. I do usually sleep in my pants and baselayer upper out of sheer laziness, but I cant imagine it would make up the difference for an R 1.6 pad in near zero or sub-zero temps....

S.Clancy

WKR

*zap*

WKR
I have an insulated static v lux I would sell. Never been out of the stuff sack it came in.....$70 tyd.