R/D longbow recommendations

Btaylor

WKR
I want one but havent looked at stickbows in forever. More interested in good shooting characteristics than looks. Think I want to stay in the 58-60" range. I draw 29". What do you like and pics if you have 'em.

I love my Centaur it is my favorite out of all I have tried but thats just my personal preference. Like oldgoat said Toelke makes a nice one also. There is really a ton of great R/D bows makers out there. You can find some good deals on used ones also.

T
Look at the Toelke Whistler, that's a pretty long draw for the average 58-60" longbow. It's going to take the right design to handle it smoothly. Other good thing besides how well they shoot and look, only about a three week wait for a new custom made bow. Here's a post from somebody else has just got one, I have one too, but this one isn't mine.
http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/lw/thread2.cfm?forum=23&threadid=307734&messages=26&CATEGORY=9
oldgoat, thanks for the link. I have been eyeing the Toelke Whistler. The photos of that bow make me even more interested.

At 58" bow length add Dwyer Endeavor to your list

I would try to shoot some longer models too like 62-64" Toelke Whip. Don't fear a longer bow in a treestand.

Predator Longbow out of Muenster, TX
3 carbon lams and it shoots like a dream. Smooth, fast for low draw weight and no stack. Bois d'arc footed arrow shafts.DSCN1761 (810x1080).jpg

I went to footed shafts years back when I could more readily afford them. Nice thing is they have held up great. I believe I have broken 3 arrows. In 10 years. Tapered Doug fir with the Bois d'arc foot.
125 Gr Zwickey 2 blade, 4 - 4 in fletch.
I asked Robert to put some wood lams over the carbon for a more traditional look.

So you want a fairly short bow. for your DL. I would not buy one of these without trying it first....and comppring it to a longer version.

I've only just shot one short bow like these. Typically guys will let you shoot their stuff...but I'm a lefty with a 30" DL. The good comments always seems to revolve around the Javaman, Centauer, Shrew, Toelke short bows.

Personally, unless you are planning on a lot of GB hunting, I would shoot the short one and then one of these; 64" or better yet 66" Toelke whip, JD Berry, Fox, Liberty, Stewart, type bows.

I've shot a couple of these 66"and they are pretty nice.

Tim that is a good deal but just not the bow I am looking for. I have shot one of those and didnt care for it. The bow shot fine and they are fast but it didnt click for me. Thanks for the link though!!

So you want a fairly short bow. for your DL. I would not buy one of these without trying it first....and comppring it to a longer version.

I've only just shot one short bow like these. Typically guys will let you shoot their stuff...but I'm a lefty with a 30" DL. The good comments always seems to revolve around the Javaman, Centauer, Shrew, Toelke short bows.

Personally, unless you are planning on a lot of GB hunting, I would shoot the short one and then one of these; 64" or better yet 66" Toelke whip, JD Berry, Fox, Liberty, Stewart, type bows.

I've shot a couple of these 66"and they are pretty nice.

I have always shot 58" stuff (recurves) so I know that length is comfortable to me. Not opposed to shooting longer than 60 but doubt seriously I would go 66. We have a local shop that carries a lot of traditional stuff and I just need to catch a schedule break to get in there and shoot some stuff. They always have a bunch of used bows and I know they normally have a decent selection of Roy Hall's new bows and a few others but I dont remember which ones. Niot interested in a Shrew but Toelke and Centaur are on the list that have my interest for sure.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I went off in a different direction than I expected too but ordered a Bearpaw ILF riser and some DAS LB limbs. Much lower front end outlay to try something new and if I really dont like shooting the LB limbs I have gobs of choices in curve limbs. If I do like the LB limbs, there are several upgrade options.

I'd look at a Black Widow PL. I'm new to the r/d bows but for me I was able to pickup the one I bought and hit center with the first shots. Can't complain about that!
58aabf7c9e404fb0b1013d0c3cd60e3b.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Back