Toelke Whip Grips

Hi All,

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an order for a Toelke Whip. R/D longbow is my favorite style of bow and I want to get a nice custom after shooting lots of production bows.

I saw on their website that they have three grip options - classic, standard, and 10x. I shoot all my bows with a "full hand" grip with the riser in the meat of my palm, and all of my fingers wrapped around the grip with low-medium amount of pressure. Based on this I think I'd like the classic grip the most but I wanted to find out what other people prefer.

For those that own/have shot Toelke's, which grip do you think is best?

oldgoat

WKR
Stay away from the 10x it's primarily more of a high wrist target grip, I'd say you're probably on the mark for the classic, I prefer the standard myself, talk to Dan or Jered about it, they are the Subject Matter Experts!

okcaveman

FNG
Haven't shot the classic, and no interest in the 10x, but I love the standard grip on mine

Wrench

WKR
I have 2 classics. I shoot them well. Low wrist, most similar to traditional longbow grips. Doesn't shock, doesn’t seem to tiller and takes a beaver wrap even in a 2 piece.

mgmicky

FNG
My Whip TD with the Classic beaver tail grip is one of the most comfortable bows I’ve shot.

Attachments

• 756B96E8-9913-4A85-8B8B-84B6B7BCC383.jpeg
    756B96E8-9913-4A85-8B8B-84B6B7BCC383.jpeg
    781.6 KB · Views: 20

MCR

FNG
I have bought and sold more bows over the years due to the grip than any other reason. After really working on my form and purchasing shooting courses from The Push Archery - Tom Clum course and the Roots course with Rod Jenkins and Jimmy Blackman I decided that the way I like holding the grip was not the best for accuracy and consistency. I recently got a used Toelke Whip 10X and in the past I would have never chosen this grip. I have to say for me the 10X grip is wonderful. I like it so much I have another Whip 10X on order. It positions my grip exactly the same every time and I don't torque the bow. I think the best thing you can do is try some different bows if you are in an area where you can ask some guys to meet you and shoot their bow to see what you like. Other peoples opinion really doesn't matter because everyone is going to give you a different opinion.

MCR

FNG
I might add that Jared and Dan at Toelke changed their grips I think back around 2021 or something like that. The newer standard and classic grips have changed some.

Wrench

WKR
I have a 21' and 10 year old classic....they're essentially the same.

MCR

FNG
The new classic grip is very flat on the back. Go to the Toelke bows fan facebook page and look at pictures and you will see the new classic grip is much flatter on the back than the older grips. Might be that the grips changed in 2022.