Quitting Alcohol

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I read this thread from the start and for a little over two years I was building my courage as well. I only wish I would have sooner. It’s gotta be your choice. I reflected on the following quote from Les Brown a lot leading up to my choice:
“When someone says, " I can't change"
Some part of them wants to change, but the payoffs for his present behavior, are greater than the payoffs for changed
Behavior, or his fear of change is too great
Ladies and gentlemen, it takes courage to live your dreams
It takes courage to manifest your greatness
It takes courage to decide to live”

Best of luck to you on your path. As others have mentioned, feel free to reach out!
I like reading all of the positivity here. Ive been back and forth. I believe it would be good to stop 100% but, dont have the courage quite yet. Im going to start at the beginning and read every post here.

DSchliep

FNG
Pretty sure I kept Crown Royal afloat for a few years. Woke up one morning not remembering the night before and that was enough. That was 4 years ago now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131_154118_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131_154118_Facebook.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 71

Yoder

WKR
My normal would be drink a 6 pack to take the “edge” off. So far I’ve just told my wife I need 5 min and take a walk or go someplace quiet for a few minutes.

Any luckily my wife isn’t too into drinking and may only have a dozen drinks a year.

Being from Wisconsin everything revolves around alcohol. I do have a sense of shame and feeling like I will need to explain myself if I turn down a drink. But I’ve told myself that it’s ok to just say no thanks and take a water instead without needing to explain myself.
It's tough. It's absolutely everywhere. I've had a few people tell me I don't have a problem and to relax and have a beer. People would see me at work, and I wasn't drunk in a ditch with my life falling apart. I used to drink 3-6 beers almost every night. That's not too crazy but the fact that I had to get a buzz EVERY night, that was wrong. You know when you're wrong. I knew it, I just didn't want to give it up. I used to feel awkward turning down drinks, now I feel good about myself for saying no. I don't even want to drink anymore; it helped me ruin so many things in my life. I have nothing but contempt for it. It still calls me every once in a while, but I know I won't drink anymore.

Something I just came to understand in the last few months. I didn't do it on my own. I used to have so much pride in all of my accomplishments. I did this, I did that, I earned it. I can't even blink my eyes or take a breath on my own. It is all by the grace of God. I know a lot of people don't believe anymore but I wish I would have found him 30 years ago. I would have been a much better father and husband.

strousek

WKR
I have posted my sobriety story on this thread before mentioning like most everyone else how it was the best decision I have made in life. This week I was able to complete another chapter in my sobriety story.

In 2016 I used 9 preference points on a high country deer tag with great ambitions to shoot a monster. Long story short, those mountains chewed me up and spit me out eating my tag without even a chance at a buck. At the time I was in denial, but the real reason for my failure that year was due to the limitations I put on myself with my alcohol addiction. I battled anxiety severely on that hunt as I spent days in the backcountry without alcohol. I thought more about getting back to the truck for a beer more than how I was actually going to find a deer. I hiked myself past exhaustion looking for deer through the rain and fog when all I was really doing was running from my anxiety and inability to sit still. Flash forward to 2020 and I finally made my decision to get sober.

Since becoming sober, that hunt has always been a thorn in my side. Eating at me that I let my vice keep me from enjoying a great hunt. So I set out to accomplish what I never could when I was a drunk. The last few years I have spent more and more time in the mountain range where I was defeated. Unfortunately the quality and age class of deer is suffering, like most areas out west anymore. I no longer had the ambitions of a 180" mule deer in every valley. To me this hunt was more about challenging myself mentally and physically to accomplish having an enjoyable time alone with my sober mind.

This year I was able to get that same high country tag and have another try at it. When scouting I had found several deer in the 140-150 range but nothing crazy special. I did however find one of the craziest 3x3 bucks I have seen loaded with character. I hiked in my camp 9 miles in on Friday and within an hour of setting up I was able to locate that same 3x3 on the hillside where I had previously scouted him out. Before the sun had broke the mountain tops on opening morning I located the group of bucks again and knew where they were headed for their morning beds. A quick 3/4 mile hike up the mountain had me waiting in perfect position when the deer came down the steep slope. As the group of bucks fed towards me unaware of my presence, I was able to put one shot perfectly behind my target bucks shoulder and complete my goal. I spent all day Saturday cleaning up the meat and enjoying life without another sole on those mountains.

This is no record book deer and nowhere near the biggest on my wall, but by far this is the most rewarding trophy for myself. Without my choice to become sober, this hunt would have never been possible.
20240907_075617.jpg
20240907_081349.jpg
20240907_103705.jpg

schmalzy

WKR
I have posted my sobriety story on this thread before mentioning like most everyone else how it was the best decision I have made in life. This week I was able to complete another chapter in my sobriety story.

In 2016 I used 9 preference points on a high country deer tag with great ambitions to shoot a monster. Long story short, those mountains chewed me up and spit me out eating my tag without even a chance at a buck. At the time I was in denial, but the real reason for my failure that year was due to the limitations I put on myself with my alcohol addiction. I battled anxiety severely on that hunt as I spent days in the backcountry without alcohol. I thought more about getting back to the truck for a beer more than how I was actually going to find a deer. I hiked myself past exhaustion looking for deer through the rain and fog when all I was really doing was running from my anxiety and inability to sit still. Flash forward to 2020 and I finally made my decision to get sober.

Since becoming sober, that hunt has always been a thorn in my side. Eating at me that I let my vice keep me from enjoying a great hunt. So I set out to accomplish what I never could when I was a drunk. The last few years I have spent more and more time in the mountain range where I was defeated. Unfortunately the quality and age class of deer is suffering, like most areas out west anymore. I no longer had the ambitions of a 180" mule deer in every valley. To me this hunt was more about challenging myself mentally and physically to accomplish having an enjoyable time alone with my sober mind.

This year I was able to get that same high country tag and have another try at it. When scouting I had found several deer in the 140-150 range but nothing crazy special. I did however find one of the craziest 3x3 bucks I have seen loaded with character. I hiked in my camp 9 miles in on Friday and within an hour of setting up I was able to locate that same 3x3 on the hillside where I had previously scouted him out. Before the sun had broke the mountain tops on opening morning I located the group of bucks again and knew where they were headed for their morning beds. A quick 3/4 mile hike up the mountain had me waiting in perfect position when the deer came down the steep slope. As the group of bucks fed towards me unaware of my presence, I was able to put one shot perfectly behind my target bucks shoulder and complete my goal. I spent all day Saturday cleaning up the meat and enjoying life without another sole on those mountains.

This is no record book deer and nowhere near the biggest on my wall, but by far this is the most rewarding trophy for myself. Without my choice to become sober, this hunt would have never been possible.
View attachment 762665
View attachment 762666
View attachment 762667

Awesome post and awesome buck!!!! Happy for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?

The brain is a fickle beast. It’ll convince you that need to drink for reason X or this is better with alcohol.

I quit drinking for 8 months last year I’ve since gotten back into it but nowhere near where I was.

You sleep better, you think better, you feel better.

One thingI noticed when I stopped was I was ALWAYS glad that I had made the choice. Family reunion, the next day you wake up nice and fresh off a good night sleep and just praise God that you didn’t take it too far the night before.

ODB

WKR
I just turned one year sober a couple of weeks ago.
I've had a long and brutal struggle with alcoholism from the time that I was a kid. I've hurt myself and others due to my disease.
I feel really proud to have accomplished this anniversary.

Good! keep it up. congrats!

I've had a long and brutal struggle with alcoholism from the time that I was a kid. I've hurt myself and others due to my disease.
That's awesome! Keep on going!

ChrisA

WKR
Amazing accomplishment! I have about 6 months on you and can tell you it gets better and easier. Excellent work

Q child

WKR
Good! keep it up. congrats!
Thank you!
That's awesome! Keep on going!
Thank you!
Amazing accomplishment! I have about 6 months on you and can tell you it gets better and easier. Excellent work
Thank you! Yeah, sometimes the weeks and months fly by easy peasy. Sometimes I scratch and claw and fight for every day.

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone.

I hit a year August 14th. Best decison of my life. It it truly eye opening and life changing when you give it up for good. Congrats !

Last edited:

View attachment 762665
View attachment 762666
View attachment 762667
Awesome post! Went through a lot of this thread and a lot of great reasons not to drink. Stay sharp!

View attachment 762665
View attachment 762666
View attachment 762667
Well earned, way to get that monkey off your back! NEXT!!!!!!

cb2176

FNG
I am fortunate....my father was a meeeeeeeean alcoholic. My mother in law was a sloppy alcoholic.

(Met my wife when we were 17). I snuck some alcohol as a teen. A very close friend died in an alcohol related crash when I was 19. Never touched a drop of alcohol ever again after he died ( almost 50 now).

Never touched tobacco or drugs either... but then again... I've been in law enforcement my whole life and we get tested.

Now, I DO have an addictive side when it comes to buying outdoors related stuff!