Quitting Alcohol

Hit one year tomorrow morning on my birthday. I have zero desire to ever drink again. 3rd kid on the way, I’m a better father, husband and man of god. My workouts and lifts are better, I have a ton more energy to chase the kiddos around, and a much more positive outlook on life. Quit dippin as well cold turkey back in January. Everything negative in my life I cut out, and it’s made a tremendous difference not only for me but also for my family.

Some days were hard but holding myself accountable and thinking of the negative effects of being a drunk is what helped to keep me sober. Now I look back and almost feel bad at the time I wasted, but I realize I’m only 37 and it could have been much worse if I continued down that path. Idk without this thread if I would have even considered completely stopping but it was hands down one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life.

ChrisA

WKR
I wore myself out last week running on little sleep then woke up Sunday morning with some sort of respiratory illness. It felt very similar to the hangovers from an extremely heavy drinking day, the type where you feel absolutely hollow inside, zero energy, and a terrible headache. I told my wife "thank God I don't intentionally do this to myself anymore"

So grateful for this thread and all the great people who've contributed with their stories of challenge and success!

june-bug

FNG
Hit one year tomorrow morning on my birthday. I have zero desire to ever drink again. 3rd kid on the way, I’m a better father, husband and man of god. My workouts and lifts are better, I have a ton more energy to chase the kiddos around, and a much more positive outlook on life. Quit dippin as well cold turkey back in January. Everything negative in my life I cut out, and it’s made a tremendous difference not only for me but also for my family.

Some days were hard but holding myself accountable and thinking of the negative effects of being a drunk is what helped to keep me sober. Now I look back and almost feel bad at the time I wasted, but I realize I’m only 37 and it could have been much worse if I continued down that path. Idk without this thread if I would have even considered completely stopping but it was hands down one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life.

Congratulations on the year bud! I just made my first year sober also on July 26th. Difference between me and you though is that I'm 50 and my first grand baby just made one year old. I'd give anything to be able to go back in time and quit when I was 37 and to have done it when my own kids were still young. So many wasted good years. That said I feel the best and am in the best shape that I have been in since my 20's. Feels so good to wake up after a good restful night of sleep and start the day off not hungover. So much more energy for exercising and just an overall more healthy outlook on life. Keep on keeping on brother, we got this. IWNDWYT (I will not drink with you today)!

schmalzy

WKR

Way to go! Thank you for sharing. Trying not to sensationalize it all but this truly is life giving. So happy for you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?
If you think you should be done, you're probably right. Good on you!

Buzzsaw

FNG
Alchol can be a terrible thing. Ruined many lives. My daughter is 7 months sober. Its day to day with her. She got some really good help at her rehab/ Its a lot of work to go through, Most wont make it. Triggers are terrible. Its just a terrible thing.

Drink alot and alcholism TWO DIFFERENT things Praise to all who have the upper hand right now. Keep fighting.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
1st week of sobriety in the books for me.

After years of self medicating chronic pain, depression and social anxiety (yes, I know alcohol makes that all worse) I decided to taper down and quit completely. The two weeks of tapering off my body and mind both felt better. 1 week without and my sleep and pain have been way better as well.

The only side effects for me so far have been slightly more agitated on 2 occasions and that was leading up to social gatherings. That being said I feel I’m more patient and present with my wife and 3 year old daughter overall.

For me i feel it’s not an option but to give alcohol up for good. At least 3 generations of alcoholism on both sides of my family, and now me. Alcohol has not caused me “problems” yet. But yet is the key word.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
That was where I was at before I quit. A little over a year and a half and this has been the best hunting shape I've ever been in.

I’ve also been able to do a ton more productive activities with my kids. Nothing but positive things happened when I quit.
That is awesome! I have also found myself being more productive as well.

eamyrick

WKR
1st week of sobriety in the books for me.

After years of self medicating chronic pain, depression and social anxiety (yes, I know alcohol makes that all worse) I decided to taper down and quit completely. The two weeks of tapering off my body and mind both felt better. 1 week without and my sleep and pain have been way better as well.

The only side effects for me so far have been slightly more agitated on 2 occasions and that was leading up to social gatherings. That being said I feel I’m more patient and present with my wife and 3 year old daughter overall.

For me i feel it’s not an option but to give alcohol up for good. At least 3 generations of alcoholism on both sides of my family, and now me. Alcohol has not caused me “problems” yet. But yet is the key word.
Good for you. I remember my first week sober and I was as sure then as I was 10 years later that “I would never drink again and I would never change my mind.”

As far as social gatherings you do have to begin to modify your “normal” which helps as you get older and have a kid. I still go out with the wife but not much past 10:30. I don’t do all day tailgates etc.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Good for you. I remember my first week sober and I was as sure then as I was 10 years later that “I would never drink again and I would never change my mind.”

As far as social gatherings you do have to begin to modify your “normal” which helps as you get older and have a kid. I still go out with the wife but not much past 10:30. I don’t do all day tailgates etc.
My normal would be drink a 6 pack to take the “edge” off. So far I’ve just told my wife I need 5 min and take a walk or go someplace quiet for a few minutes.

Any luckily my wife isn’t too into drinking and may only have a dozen drinks a year.

Being from Wisconsin everything revolves around alcohol. I do have a sense of shame and feeling like I will need to explain myself if I turn down a drink. But I’ve told myself that it’s ok to just say no thanks and take a water instead without needing to explain myself.

hunt1up

WKR
My normal would be drink a 6 pack to take the “edge” off. So far I’ve just told my wife I need 5 min and take a walk or go someplace quiet for a few minutes.

Any luckily my wife isn’t too into drinking and may only have a dozen drinks a year.

Being from Wisconsin everything revolves around alcohol. I do have a sense of shame and feeling like I will need to explain myself if I turn down a drink. But I’ve told myself that it’s ok to just say no thanks and take a water instead without needing to explain myself.

Everything revolves around alcohol around here too. I had the same apprehension about turning down beers around my core group of alcoholic friends. To my surprise it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. As a matter of fact, two of my lifelong friends who love to drink as much as I did have recently come to me with a desire to quit. One of them was drinking an Athletic NA the other day and I wondered if something was wrong with him, lol! And my other good friend stopped drinking about a month ago and said he thinks he's done too.

I think when drinkers see one of their own quit it makes them think a little. While I still know some guys that drink as much as ever, I know quite a few now that have cut back a ton since I quit. It's a little contagious.

The few people that genuinely gave me crap about not drinking any more were on the fringes of my social circle. I'm more than happy to just cut those relationships right off and move on.

schmalzy

WKR

Your last sentence is spot on. It is YOUR story to tell to who and how you choose.

I can 100% relate and struggled with it as well. Surprisingly, most people if not all were very supportive. One or two buddies gave me a hard time but nothing serious.

Feel free to reach out if you want to chat/bounce ideas and thoughts.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Your last sentence is spot on. It is YOUR story to tell to who and how you choose.

I can 100% relate and struggled with it as well. Surprisingly, most people if not all were very supportive. One or two buddies gave me a hard time but nothing serious.

Feel free to reach out if you want to chat/bounce ideas and thoughts.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

Being from Utah there was time when I foolishly took pride in how much I was drinking. I was in the military where drinking is the cultural norm for sure.

When I decided I needed to quit several buddies tested my resolve at every opportunity. After awhile those same friends would answer for me when I was offered a drink- He doesn't drink but he's alright! Soon enough those who were some of my biggest critics become my best supporters.

Once people recognize they cannot break your resolve and dedication, there will be a new normal where everyone you know now expects you would never drink and doesn't offer you any.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

schmalzy

WKR
I like reading all of the positivity here. Ive been back and forth. I believe it would be good to stop 100% but, dont have the courage quite yet. Im going to start at the beginning and read every post here.

It’s worth it. You will witness and read a lot of courage by guys posting on this thread, a lot of healing, and a ton of positive change. Sorry, not trying to sound like a fanboy or cheerleader, but it really is remarkable.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to state that this thread influenced and helped many of us to be significantly better hunters, but also husbands, fathers, friends, employees, and just being a man in general.