Quitting Alcohol

Waddi

FNG
I’ve been sober for almost 9 months now and I’m much healthier and find that I can burn fat and put on muscle easier. I agree with everyone saying find a substitute. I work out like crazy and enjoy more of my outdoor hobbies now that I’m not battling hangovers. I also drink healthy carbonated beverages when I get the urge to drink and it’s worked great so far.

matthewmt

WKR
I've been doing a dry Aug the last few yrs leading up to archery season. Should probably extend it this go round.

I've been making a honey, cinnamon, cayenne, ACV, lime and Celtics sea salt drink in place of beer etc. It's pretty tasty and good on electrolytes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ChrisA

WKR
I hammered the LaCroix sparkling water for quite a while for something to do in place of a beer or cocktail. Then I cut way back on those and just fill a coffee mug with ice water, lemon wedge and fresh mint from the garden; it's a lot cheaper. I'm on the road a bunch and have stopped buying stuff at c stores too, intermittent fasting has helped curve the impulse to grab expensive nuts and jerky. I also bring my own water now and avoid dropping a five or ten dollar bill daily.

Great job everyone!

As countless others have said, drastically reducing or cutting out alcohol is one of the most significant positive choices you can make, with impact across the board - instant weight loss, better sleep, clearer mind, etc. There are so many substitutes these days that it’s easy to find options to fulfill that drinking a beer ritual or having something in your hand for social settings. Check out Best Day, Sam Adams just the haze, Deschutes Fresh Squeezed NA, Rationale, etc for craft “beers” that come without the negative impact.

Not relative to hunts, I didn't stop drinking to be a better hunter.

Since stopping drinking I sleep MUCH better, and a good night's sleep is much more important than the transient taste of the best booze. No, it's not easy. Especially in social situations - actually, it WASN'T easy to start, but nowadays being a non-drinker is being iconoclastic, which serves my tendency to be contrarian, so it's easy to be odd man out.

The mindset is this: you have to be a non-drinker. NOT someone who is quitting drinking or just doesn't want one when offered. Being in the middle of quitting something means you still do it, just less often.

When someone asks if you want a drink, the answer is "I don't drink" not "No." Big mental difference.

If you are married, tell your wife you are not drinking anymore. Any booze that was just yours in the house, give it away. Non-drinkers don't have their favorite booze on the shelf. If you use the excuse that it's for when people come over - ask yourself if you also stock your fridge with their favorite food in the off-chance they stop by? If you want to serve booze when they come over, buy a small bottle and send it home with them. Eventually they will just bring their own, or booze won't matter anyway.

These of course are my opinions/experience, but it works for me. Also, I have never 'saved the date' of my last drink like some people do. "it's been XXX days/weeks/years since my last drink." I never understood that. I am just a non-drinker, period.

Booze is not necessary, nor important in any case whatever.

Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?
If you can get over the hump, you probably won't miss it and will feel great .

There is a reason this post has 117,000 views. I think we all wonder how others deal with alcohol in a society that makes drunkenness the norm.

I have not drank alcohol in 4 years and can't believe Im here.

I couldn't honor God or my family with my alcohol consumption. Never have I wished I was back to drinking. I am more motivated than ever.

For those struggling, get it out of your living space and take it one day at a time.

Im thankful to all who have shared on this thread, very inspiring for me to stay the course.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I toyed with the idea of quitting for a few months. I discussed it with my wife and she told me if I wanted to try she would give it a go with me. I didn’t have a time frame in mind, I just wanted to know if I could quit and then I would decide what I wanted to do after I had figured that out. On my 40th birthday I woke up and poured all the alcohol in the house down the sink. That was 14 months ago, haven’t had a drop since and honestly don’t know if I ever will again. I haven’t had any urge to drink since and never had any cravings or withdrawal symptoms.

I agree with most of what everyone else has said here. It was one of the best health decisions I’ve ever made. It has been beneficial literally everywhere in our lives from sleep, clearheaded, mood, energy, patience, blood pressure, weight, the list goes on. There hasn’t been a single thing that hasn’t improved since quitting and I would say I didn’t realise how much alcohol was affecting me prior to quitting.

For the most part I drank because I wanted a drink and water was to boring so it was easy to substitute any other tasty beverage for an alcoholic drink. Soda water with fruit, mint etc. We also took up brewing kombucha (inlaw said like a bunch of dirty hippies (we aren’t f’ing hippies)).
The only thing that surprised me was how many people don’t like or struggle tolerating a non drinker. People will go out of their way to make excuses for their drinking habits and project their insecurities on me when I’m in their presence as a non drinker and they’re having a few. I personally don’t care if anyone else drinks, I never say anything but my mere sober presence makes people conscientious of their own alcohol dependency and they tend to be vocal about it. Alcohol is a VERY pervasive and accepted social contagion.

Oh, should also mention. It’s not cause she’s a copycat but the missus hasn’t had a drop either in the past year+ and has enjoyed the sober life. It’s been a success for both of us.

The only thing that surprised me was how many people don’t like or struggle tolerating a non drinker. People will go out of their way to make excuses for their drinking habits and project their insecurities on me when I’m in their presence as a non drinker and they’re having a few. I personally don’t care if anyone else drinks, I never say anything but my mere sober presence makes people conscientious of their own alcohol dependency and they tend to be vocal about it. Alcohol is a VERY pervasive and accepted social contagion.
This right here. I am coming up on 8 months and have not felt thsi good in years. My mental clarity is off the chart and my motivation is unreal.

What you wrote above is the truth. I was always in the mix at ll events with beer in hand and having a good time. Now that I have quit i am shocked how many friends and family make it a big deal that I am not drinking. I have never said a word and will stay up late with the group having a good time but Sober. My garage fridge still has beer in it and NA Beer and i have no desire to have either one whatsoever.

Cool story...... I have a superintendant friend that i work with that i shared i had stopped drinking and he started asking questions like how, and was it hard, etc..... He called me a month after fathers day and said that he stopped fathers day and feels great. This guy drank every single day and really got it cranked up on the weekends. He cold turkey quit and said he lost 10 pounds and sleeps great. Thought i would share for anyone still thinking about it.

December 27 will be a year and i cant wait to post on this thread.

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
As Manwitaplan also mentioned, its comical some of the conversations that happen because a sober person is present. I only drink for this reason, or that, or, or....

But for 17 months, there are zero times where I woke up and wish my head hurt, or had spent more money, or had to come up with an excuse. Which brings me to an observation, the more drinks a person has, the more excuses and justifications they make. Generally speaking. But in all aspects of life. excuse for drinking, not saving, not losing weight, not having the ambition anymore, etc. Just an observation that I think has some correlation.