Quitting Alcohol

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
4 and a half months in. The one major factor I have noticed is how tired I am all the time. I can sleep 8-9 hours a night and still feel like I need a midday nap. Anyone else notice that early on? I'm 53 if that makes any difference. Hoping that changes soon. Other than that, I haven't noticed any glaringly obvious differences like mental clarity, weight loss or any other of the proclaimed changes.
Regardless, I will never even consider starting again.

SWOHTR

WKR
4 and a half months in. The one major factor I have noticed is how tired I am all the time. I can sleep 8-9 hours a night and still feel like I need a midday nap. Anyone else notice that early on? I'm 53 if that makes any difference. Hoping that changes soon. Other than that, I haven't noticed any glaringly obvious differences like mental clarity, weight loss or any other of the proclaimed changes.
Have you done a sleep study?

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Have you done a sleep study?
Several years ago I did a sleep study for sleep apnea and was found not to have it. I've always been a good sleeper. Running joke in the family is that after I put my head down on the pillow, I'm asleep within three breaths.

LFC911

WKR
Has your Dr. tested your testosterone level? At 54-55, when i was drinking my T level was in the 200's. When i quit drinking it bumped up to 400, which is still considered low. I started T-gel a few months ago and will recheck in a couple of months. t could be a coincidence that you noticed it when you quit drinking or it could be something else.

strousek

WKR
Over 15 months now and about to lose my first parent, very emotional but there's no way I'd consider alcohol. Best decision I've made.
I lost my father when I was 19 years old. I relied heavily on the bottle for years to avoid my emotions as alcohol let me escape from having to truly cope with the loss of my father. Worst decision I have made in life so far. Good on you for not using alcohol to escape the reality of what you are going through. Stay strong.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Has your Dr. tested your testosterone level? At 54-55, when i was drinking my T level was in the 200's. When i quit drinking it bumped up to 400, which is still considered low. I started T-gel a few months ago and will recheck in a couple of months. t could be a coincidence that you noticed it when you quit drinking or it could be something else.
Thanks for the insight. Might be why I'm having trouble losing weight as well. I work a physical job and figured I would shed some pounds from quitting, but no luck on that yet.

Duh

WKR
Thanks for the insight. Might be why I'm having trouble losing weight as well. I work a physical job and figured I would shed some pounds from quitting, but no luck on that yet.
I agree with the Test comment above. When I stopped drinking, I was disappointed with the lack of noticeable results. In fact, I gained weight. Was a moody and tired bitch too haha.

Got on test even though my levels were what was considered “normal” and started the carnivore diet. Those two changes alone were complete game changers for me. Throw in no more alcohol and I feel like I’m unstoppable. The positive effects of not drinking have started to really show after I made those other two changes.

I’m way younger than you but I felt broken at the beginning of my 30’s. Sometimes you just need that special sauce to get the jump start.

schmalzy

WKR

It took a few months for me to start losing weight. Once my body got used to the new normal and I ate reasonably and got after it fitness wise it all clicked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
Several years ago I did a sleep study for sleep apnea and was found not to have it. I've always been a good sleeper. Running joke in the family is that after I put my head down on the pillow, I'm asleep within three breaths.
I've done 2. One showed I do have it, one says I don't have it. May want to get a different opinion?

strousek

WKR
No clue on what your previous alcohol consumption was, but many people find themselves supplementing the craving for alcohol with sugar. Sugar consumption increase will lead to some of the issues you are describing. I could be way off as well on this but I noticed myself consuming far more sugar after quitting drinking.

No clue on what your previous alcohol consumption was, but many people find themselves supplementing the craving for alcohol with sugar. Sugar consumption increase will lead to some of the issues you are describing. I could be way off as well on this but I noticed myself consuming far more sugar after quitting drinking.
This right here! I'm finding that even cutting back on sugar has been way harder for me than quitting alcohol. If I can stay consistent in my daily routine and keep ahead of my hunger, I do great. It's the busy weekends, vacations, summer shit that's freaking killing me. It's go go go all the time and I don't have time to or abiliy to cook a good meal so sugary, shitty foods quickly take over.

This right here! I'm finding that even cutting back on sugar has been way harder for me than quitting alcohol. If I can stay consistent in my daily routine and keep ahead of my hunger, I do great. It's the busy weekends, vacations, summer shit that's freaking killing me. It's go go go all the time and I don't have time to or abiliy to cook a good meal so sugary, shitty foods quickly take over.
8 years sober this month.

I find I typically lose weight in the fall, winter, and spring, then pack it back on in the summer for the same reason: it's go go go, all the time. I find myself eating fried gas station food and cookies. I begrudgingly accept it, but I strive to change every summer.

Eating carnivore (plus fruit) changed my life. I dropped 30 pounds and have mostly kept it off for 2 years.

I agree with the testosterone. When I quit, my T was about 300, and I was only 46. I got the pellets, which last 5 or 6 months and it is like a new life is inside of me now. I'm back to the beast I used to be with help from T, no booze, and working out like Cameron Friggin Hanes! I was able to run 240 miles in March. I'm almost 21 months sober now and getting ready to go on an archery elk hunt in CO. Praise God! Quitting drinking was the best decision of my recent life. Getting testosterone pellets was up there with it. At one point (in March because of all the running) I had lost 67 pounds and was only 217. I'm back to a healthy 235.

One caveat!!! if you're gonna run as much or more than I did, be sure to stretch out A LOT. I got plantar fasciitis, bone spurs, and Achilles tendonitis, which I am finally over. I had to get 2 cortisone shots as well. But I am finally well just in time for the elk trip.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Now that I think about it, you may have hit the nail on the head. I'm working 12+ hours a day and sometimes just have ice cream for dinner. With fall coming and less working hours, I'll try to eat healthier and get back to the gym. Hopefully that will be the trick. If not, definitely get my T levels tested next time at the doctors.

hunt1up

WKR
I'll be 2 years on 8/26. As others have said, best decision ever. When drinking, I couldn't see myself without it. Now I can't see myself with it. Even after 2 years I still feel like it's a new experience every day.

I went to a concert on Saturday. Naturally everyone there is pounding beers. My buddy lives near the venue so we were walking back to his place. He was hammered and wanted to go to this dump of a bar on the way. Back in the day I woulda been all about it. I happily declined and went home. Got 7 solid hours of sleep and spend Sunday doing property maintenance in the hot sun in preparation of deer reason. As I was mowing my property, feeling great, I was reminded yet again what a good decision this has been. I got so much done and felt awesome doing it.

I got sick back in December of last year had to go to the hospital. I ended up having pneumonia and my kidneys had shut down due to dehydration. Long story short, I hadn't drank due to the illness decide not to start back. I drank a good bit for a long time. I'm close to 62 years old. Feel like different person.

schmalzy

WKR
I agree with the testosterone. When I quit, my T was about 300, and I was only 46. I got the pellets, which last 5 or 6 months and it is like a new life is inside of me now. I'm back to the beast I used to be with help from T, no booze, and working out like Cameron Friggin Hanes! I was able to run 240 miles in March. I'm almost 21 months sober now and getting ready to go on an archery elk hunt in CO. Praise God! Quitting drinking was the best decision of my recent life. Getting testosterone pellets was up there with it. At one point (in March because of all the running) I had lost 67 pounds and was only 217. I'm back to a healthy 235.

One caveat!!! if you're gonna run as much or more than I did, be sure to stretch out A LOT. I got plantar fasciitis, bone spurs, and Achilles tendonitis, which I am finally over. I had to get 2 cortisone shots as well. But I am finally well just in time for the elk trip.

This is awesome man. Love hearing stories of guys who got after it. Not to sound cliche or corny but it really is inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk