Quitting Alcohol

Buzzkill

FNG
I never was a big drinker, but when my father was hospitalized with bilateral bleeding on the brain, that was all it took for me to stop all together. He seemed to always have a beer around, but never was drunk. The docs said the alcohol reduced his brain volume to that of someone much older which made him much more prone to bleeding if hitting his head (which he didn’t recall happening). It’s been 13 years now since I had any alcoholic beverage and I dont miss it. I also cut caffeinated beverages out about 5 years ago, which probably did me more good than quitting alcohol. Lol

grainhog

FNG
I quit drinking "as an experiment" in 2009. Every part of my life improved dramatically, so I never started again. I've gotten into so much cool stuff that I would never have even known about if I continued drinking. If you feel any inclination to stop, I can't recommend it highly enough.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just listened to a great book about overcoming addiction. This man was a hopeless alcoholic, morbidly obese and addicted to pain killers. One day he decided to quit all of it and become a runner. The book is called Out There a story of ultra recovery by David Clark. He has the best description of what a bad relationship with alcohol looks like. I thank God I was nowhere near as bad as he was, but I really identified with his emotions toward alcohol. Normal people don't have negotiations about drinking. Bad day=drink, good day=drink, stressed=drink, relax=drink, celebrate=drink, mourning=drink. Normal people just have a drink sometimes. They don't lie awake at night wondering if they have a problem. I can't recommend this book enough.
I actually know David Clark, he’s a good guy. He saved the life of one of my close friends back ~ 10-15 years ago and was sort of a buddy to me while I was going through a really rough patch.

tdm

FNG
Quit drinking in 2008 due to health reasons. Never had an impact on hunting since we always had a dry elk camp. Dad's philosophy was very simple. We don't drink at elk camp, you had all summer to drink somewhere else.

Kilboars

WKR
I never was a big drinker, but when my father was hospitalized with bilateral bleeding on the brain, that was all it took for me to stop all together. He seemed to always have a beer around, but never was drunk. The docs said the alcohol reduced his brain volume to that of someone much older which made him much more prone to bleeding if hitting his head (which he didn’t recall happening). It’s been 13 years now since I had any alcoholic beverage and I dont miss it. I also cut caffeinated beverages out about 5 years ago, which probably did me more good than quitting alcohol. Lol

When you say caffeine how much were you drinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
I actually know David Clark, he’s a good guy. He saved the life of one of my close friends back ~ 10-15 years ago and was sort of a buddy to me while I was going through a really rough patch.
I'm really sorry to be the one to tell you this but, he passed away 5/22/2020. He had back surgery and died from complications. I didn't even know him and I was really bummed out. He helped a lot of people.

Buzzkill

FNG
When you say caffeine how much were you drinking?

Not what I would consider a ton of caffeine, but it was on a daily basis as opposed to alcohol which was a weekend only thing.

UncleBone

WKR
I quit drinking almost 4 years ago and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I sleep way better, never have a hangover, dont make (as many) stupid decisions, and just feel better about myself as a person. I dont judge those who do drink, but I can see if someone has a problem with it very easily, as I once did.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I’m pretty amazed that this thread is still going almost a year later. I haven’t been keeping up with what everyone has posted. But It just goes to show that there are people all over that can relate to what you’ve gone through or going through. It’s also good to see so many people realize the negative impact alcohol has on their lives and can help themselves. Sometimes before it’s too late.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
I’m pretty amazed that this thread is still going almost a year later. I haven’t been keeping up with what everyone has posted. But It just goes to show that there are people all over that can relate to what you’ve gone through or going through. It’s also good to see so many people realize the negative impact alcohol has on their lives and can help themselves. Sometimes before it’s too late.

It's really turned into something I never expected. It'll be two years this year.

Really inspired and helped me stay on a good path.

CRJR45

WKR
The thing that still stands out for me was how amazed I was when in my first court ordered AA meeting to find out other people had the same problem I had .

I thought I was the only person struggling with what I was going through .

And this thread is just that , a collective of people who are similar in the fact that they are fighting a personal battle that many people don't get .

Many people don't have an issue with alcohol , and that's okay , but for those of us who do , the struggle is real , but the rewards are great .

I could say a lot about alcohol but I think the #1 thing for me is a mild to fairly severe bout of depression about 3 days after drinking. Even 1 beer will cause it. I didn’t notice the direct correlation until I did a new year, new me resolution to quit drinking for a year. Depression basically completely gone.

Rob5589

WKR
I was a bourbon guy. 2-3 per night on my days off. I found my sleep was awful when I drank. Which compounds my already crappy sleep working nights. So I stopped. Waay better sleep, no foggy mornings, no 300-500 dollars worth of bourbon in the pantry. Dropped some lbs as well. I have a beer a week now on pizza Saturday with the fam, a 6 pack lasts more than a month so I buy a nice brew. I'll still have a cocktail on vacations and events but that's it.

jri

FNG
Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?
congrats on quitting.

jri

FNG
I stopped drinking altogether. My wife says I am a much nicer person to be around. Also, I feel much more productive and have more time for family, hunting, doing things. A mentor of mine rarely drinks or when I see him has never drank and is quite successful. Haven’t drank in one year and a few months
congrats on quitting.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veron16