Quitting Alcohol

schmalzy

WKR
I’m on day 5 and have been getting really down after work and no drive. But I’m pushing through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s worth pushing through. Get a run in, or better yet a hike in the mountains if remotely possible.

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider
I started listening to the book “Alcohol Explained” after someone here recommended it. It explains what is happening to you within the first 2 chapters. Basically withdrawals as your body is adjusting to no longer having alcohol. My first week was full of anxiety, sleepless nights, and shifting from cold to sweaty witching minutes. At day 12 now and feeling much better.
I started that as well. I've gotten to chapter 5, but have given it a rest. Today I'm feeling a bit better and slept pretty well. Fingers crossed.

Kilboars

WKR
Can anyone who’s read “alcohol explained” the first edition and “alcohol explain 2” Tell us if one is better than the other one?

I’m listening to alcohol explain 2 now and really like it but he keeps referring back to his first book and I’m wondering if I should listen to that one as well.

hunt1up

WKR
Can anyone who’s read “alcohol explained” the first edition and “alcohol explain 2” Tell us if one is better than the other one?

I’m listening to alcohol explain 2 now and really like it but he keeps referring back to his first book and I’m wondering if I should listen to that one as well.

I'm 1 hour into the second book so I can't give you as definitive answer on which is better. It seems like the second one is a more in depth continuation of the first. Both are very good and I'd probably listen/read both.

Last edited:

Kilboars

WKR
I'm 1 hour into the second book so I can't give you as difinitive answer on which is better. It seems like the second one is a more in depth continuation of the first. Both are very good and I'd probably listen/read both.

Thanks. Let me know.

Almost done with the second

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Seven plus years here and can't even think of going back. One thing I've passed along to others that seems to help is writing a list. Start a list of all the things you are unhappy with in your life- marriage, job, health, finances, family, etc. Once you get to 30 days sober look over that list and see what has improved, most people are taken aback at how many things improve without alcohol in their lives. After a year it's a lot easier, anything beyond that and you've implement the changes in your lifestyle. I hear a lot for my coworkers say how I handle stress well and am a levelheaded manager, attributes I can attest that came when I quit drinking.

Last edited:

hunt1up

WKR
Thanks. Let me know.

Almost done with the second

I’m 3 hours into the second. I’d say you might as well listen to the first one. It may seem redundant at times with similar info, but a little extra repetition never hurt anyone.

I’m at 2 weeks now. I made it through the Labor Day weekend with cookouts and I’m currently on a business trip that’s at a resort with open bar. They even offered me the free champagne when I checked in. I had a few NA beers at dinner to look the part and got a good 9 hours of sleep. So far so good.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 3 hours into the second. I’d say you might as well listen to the first one. It may seem redundant at times with similar info, but a little extra repetition never hurt anyone.

I’m at 2 weeks now. I made it through the Labor Day weekend with cookouts and I’m currently on a business trip that’s at a resort with open bar. They even offered me the free champagne when I checked in. I had a few NA beers at dinner to look the part and got a good 9 hours of sleep. So far so good.
I go with a sparkling water with a slice of lime, looks like a gin and tonic. Less social pressure and then followed by an Irish goodbye when the evening gets late.

ODB

WKR
I go with a sparkling water with a slice of lime, looks like a gin and tonic. Less social pressure and then followed by an Irish goodbye when the evening gets late.

Soda water and lime is my go-to. But not to look the part, just because it’s the best refresher.

Nothing makes a drinker more aware of his drinking than you just ordering water when they are ordering booze.

And what is an Irish goodbye?

Soda water and lime is my go-to. But not to look the part, just because it’s the best refresher.

Nothing makes a drinker more aware of his drinking than you just ordering water when they are ordering booze.

Quietly disappearing.

TheHammer

WKR
Going on 8yrs sober here. With the change in lifestyles it’s opened far more doors than I ever imagined. I have been very blessed. I have done community outreach helping others who do not believe anyone cares about them or their problems. We all have different struggles, demons and outlooks in life, different goals and beliefs. Sober isn’t for everyone, regardless of the choice of consumable.

I don't know what it is like to be addicted to drugs or alcohol, but when I read about people turning to drugs or alcohol in hope for a better life, it makes me sad. The best thing one can do for addiction is to turn their life over to Christ. Without Faith in Jesus Christ, you put your faith into something that is completely counter productive to a life of joy and peace.

Awesome work to all of those that have kicked the habit or are trying.

TheGDog

WKR
Well... either YOU choose to eventually stop drinking (Or severely cutback)... OR... at some point you get GERD and Acid Reflux and Hypertension and Sleep Apnea......and......and.......and.....

And like... I don't just up and go get myself a drink in the house anymore.. but... oddly enough, I STILL find myself feeling compelled to... or at least like the thought of..... buying stuff and adding to the liquor cabinet, used when we host events at the house, to have stuff to offer to others.

To the gentleman talkin' 'bout blowing thru a "handle" (1.75L) of whatever drink that was... in 3-4 days!?!?... WHOA!...dude you're gonna blow a hole out the bottom of your stomach/liver pronto with carrying on like that! That is a lot for 1 person to be drinking. Not as bad as some people I've seen... but that's definitely up there in the "there's a problem here" territory.

Big thing is just really be honest with yourself about what's going on in your life that you want to avoid or don't want to think about and process. Cause if you're hittin' it up past a certain amount... with that level of consistency... it's because there's isht buggin' ya... that usually you feel you can't do anything about. So ya end up wanting to distract your waking thoughts from pondering about it. So the escapism of drink quelling that nature within us that contemplates our current problems on our plate, can have QUITE the allure.

What will be key for you, whoever the "you" is... is having a key important enough reason that you'll hang on to... as to why you're electing to stop.

Maybe it's :
"I don't wanna walk around with Dragon Breath anymore"
"I donna wanna have to be downing acid blockers like candy anymore"
"I don't want my voice box burnt by stomach acids anymore"
"I no longer want to be snapped awake from sleep because my body acid reflux'd while I was asleep and now there's a crap ton of stomach acid burning inside my voice box that I'm trying to gargle out of there and it's making me cough my fool head off!"
"I don't want to deal with when you wake up the next day and you feel like something the cat threw up."
...OR...
"Ugh, I was a little quick to temper and show my frustration with/at my child the other day, that was NOT cool."
...OR...
"I'm killing myself in the Gym... but it's never gonna "look" good if I can't get my diet in order. Abs are made in the Kitchen, not the gym.

Or like the saying goes : "A drunk mans words are a sober man's thoughts." So... if you've got a lot of stuff on your heart in terms of your current relationship... that drink is a freaking HORRIBLE idea! Because you KNOW DAMN WELL there's no way you're going to convey your observations of that other persons not cool actions/behaviours are... in a way that will be rec'd well when you're in that kind of state. Just ain't hap'nin'. And you also KNOW that if you go that route... drinking to make you not think about those issues... that's EXACTLY what your dumb@ss is gonna bring up in conversation once you get a little less inhibited.

YEah.. I know.. overshare.. but whatever.. if just 1 young dude comes along and reads this.. and in doing so avoids some headache and hassle in his life, it was worth it.

I've been trying different brands of sparkling water. "bubly bounce" is my favorite so far. Every flavor I've tried is good.

0 calories
0 sugar
35 mg caffeine (just enough to make me think I'm doing something other that just drinking water lol)

Reactions: ODB

Fatcamp

WKR
I don't keep up with this thread regularly, but it's obvious there's a lot going on.

I was as out of control as a body can be at times years ago. Gave it up and live a better life than I ever would have imagined.

Hope you all can find a path to live in peace, whatever that looks like. Anyone who needs an ear can feel free to message me.