Quitting Alcohol

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
once I start I can't stop.
Many wish they could have just one or two beers at a ball game or wedding, but the reality is...you probably will never be able to do that if you are serious about sobriety.

As an alcoholic, your brain is wired differently than non alcoholics. You also have a genetic disadvantage with family members that struggle with addiction too.

One day at a time is all you can do, but I highly suggest you don't ignore the inner problems that cause you to drink in the first place. Mental health is a thing and most, if not all, addicts struggle with some type of mental health issue.

Stopping drinking is a good first step, but I do suggest seeking some type of treatment. Whether that be counseling, medications, etc. Addiction is complex and many factors that may be oblivious to you can attribute to the disease.

Congrats on making steps in the right direction. Don't be too hard on yourself.

AlexNRKC

FNG
I’ve been intermittent fasting to lose some weight. Along with a healthier diet and exercise…… drinking will break the fast, so that has worked great for me. I still enjoy a glass of bourbon once a week with my meal, sometimes even 2, but my eating windows are only an hour long.

I read every post of these 30+ pages last week, which inspired me to give it a try, cold turkey. Not saying I quit drinking but I haven't had any alcohol for over a week now. I wanted to give it at least a week to post this something because i couldn't believe i would make it this long. It was nothing for me to go drink 6-8 beers an evening and be fully functioning the next day...I guess you would say I am a functioning alcoholic. I would like to be able to have a beer or two at a concert, ballgame, wedding, etc... but like many have said before me, once I start I can't stop.

I listened to the Andrew Huberman podcast on alcohol and also downloaded Alcohol Explained and about a quarter through the 36 chapter audio book.

My mom abused prescription drugs and died at 54 (I'm 55, so I made it past that milestone). My dad smoked pot and drank, I would guess a 12+ pack of beer daily and died of throat cancer at 71.

I think of drinking in the evenings, while cooking dinner or after i mow the grass. It would be nice to have a cold one and have found a way not to drink for the past week. I have hard liquor in the house but not really tempted by that but I love the taste of beer. I did get a 12'er of Heineken 0.0 and drank a few of those when the urge hit me but don't really care for the taste. I have tried the Athletic brews in the past and the Coors Edge and like those better.

My goal at this point is to take it day by day. I think of elk hunting every hour, so you could say I'm obsessed with that and that is what drives me to get healthier. I want to be here for my family and hunting friends as long as possible and still hunting/hitting the mountains in my 60's and hopefully into my 70's.

I will check in here periodically and read everyone's post and glad to say I've joined the party.
Good for you! I also had the same urge “to have just a couple” or on this “special occasion.” But I fought through that and realized that was just excuses to introduce alcohol back into my life. If you really want to quit, quit. And don’t look back. After a while the thought of booze won’t sound good and you’ll realize nothing of any good came from it. You’ll look back and be glad you did, especially when you’re not dealing with the health issues associated with alcohol abuse. You can do it man! Keep it up. A week is something. A week turns to a month, and a month turns to 6. You can do it. I’m almost to 2 years and am so glad I made the decision.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
I read every post of these 30+ pages last week, which inspired me to give it a try, cold turkey. Not saying I quit drinking but I haven't had any alcohol for over a week now. I wanted to give it at least a week to post this something because i couldn't believe i would make it this long. It was nothing for me to go drink 6-8 beers an evening and be fully functioning the next day...I guess you would say I am a functioning alcoholic. I would like to be able to have a beer or two at a concert, ballgame, wedding, etc... but like many have said before me, once I start I can't stop.

I listened to the Andrew Huberman podcast on alcohol and also downloaded Alcohol Explained and about a quarter through the 36 chapter audio book.

My mom abused prescription drugs and died at 54 (I'm 55, so I made it past that milestone). My dad smoked pot and drank, I would guess a 12+ pack of beer daily and died of throat cancer at 71.

I think of drinking in the evenings, while cooking dinner or after i mow the grass. It would be nice to have a cold one and have found a way not to drink for the past week. I have hard liquor in the house but not really tempted by that but I love the taste of beer. I did get a 12'er of Heineken 0.0 and drank a few of those when the urge hit me but don't really care for the taste. I have tried the Athletic brews in the past and the Coors Edge and like those better.

My goal at this point is to take it day by day. I think of elk hunting every hour, so you could say I'm obsessed with that and that is what drives me to get healthier. I want to be here for my family and hunting friends as long as possible and still hunting/hitting the mountains in my 60's and hopefully into my 70's.

I will check in here periodically and read everyone's post and glad to say I've joined the party.
Good on ya for taking the plunge!! Quitting alcohol is like anything else you learn to do. The more you do it (don't drink) the better you get at it!! One thing I started doing early on is reframing how I thought about it. I started telling myself and others, "I don't drink", not "I quit drinking" or "I gave it up". Words have power!! I still have triggers to drink. Firing up the grill is the worst one for me. I just started drinking seltzer water like Bubly or LaCroix to help with the itch to drink. They have enough bite to em to curb the cravings. N/A beers just didn't do it for me. Too similar to real beer... just made it worse. lol... Good luck in the quest! You can do it!!

It’s sad that alcoholics don’t realize what is crumbling around them,or is it they don’t give a damn.Either way SAD.

Your welcome,I had a dad that left a heavy heart with me.Couldn’t stop,wouldn’t stop.I repeat SAD.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've drank a bottle of red wine every night for 23 years spread out from 5-9 pm. I've witnessed its medicinal benefits, aids in digestion, delivers vital antioxidants, lowers cellular oxidation, the list is short and powerful IN MODERATION. It's the moderation we all struggle with, IMO. If I pull a cork, that bottle is done son.

Well strategies work till they become non-working or dysfunctional. That's when people makes changes, usually.

I got woken up rudely (in mind) months ago in the middle of the night and flipped the &$@# out on my spouse and didn't care that my kids were awakened and were disturbed by my outburst. I woke up the next day and realized that the whole situation was laughable in my own defense and I was ashamed BUT conversely it was confusing and traumatic to my young daughter who heard me yelling and blowing my shit for illogical reasons (completely atypical of my normal persona). Not cool B.

I had to give up wine and spirits because my chemistry stopped agreeing with response to alcohol. Man...no edginess, I sleep better, relationships retain focus 24-7, continuity exists where gaps used to, consistency with mental clarity, there are way more benefits to not drinking than drinking even in moderation when your body chemistry and compatibility become affected.

You don't have to be an alcoholic to decide alcohol is not good for you. It's takes strength yes, but it requires you to develop healthier nightly routines that do not include the problem. Once a routine is established and practiced for 6-8 weeks, a new you and normal routine becomes so much easier to maintain.

The fact that you mentioned this to the public and that so many agree with your stance should give you plenty of validation that you're on the right road. I'd say good luck but luck doesn't cut it. Actions do, and you're on the threshold. Take the step and don't go backward.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
Your welcome,I had a dad that left a heavy heart with me.Couldn’t stop,wouldn’t stop.I repeat SAD.
Yes it IS sad!! Sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure there are other's here who can relate. But this is a thread dedicated to the ones who decided to make a change for the better. For me it was a lonely, intimidating, sometimes confusing choice. But the positives FAR outweigh any anxiety I once had about quitting. I'm glad this thread is here to help others out there going through similar things.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
Over 4 years sober and clean now. I attempted to stop drinking more times than I can count. I would go 3 months, 8 months, 1 month. But, I never treated the problem. I continually ignored the root, and would pick up other addictions. Working out to the point of damaging my body as one example. I was finally forced to go to rehab by my employer at the time. Stepping off that plane in Salt Lake City (completely blitzed mind you), and heading to detox before completing 30 days of treatment was the best thing I have ever done in my life.

I don't even think about alcohol anymore, which is weird because when I drank I couldn't stop thinking about alcohol.
I'm glad to see you sharing on here. I remember seeing you discussing some of this on Instagram a few years ago.

Definitely inspiring seeing you turn things around.

The biggest change I've seen in myself when I quit drinking is my patience. I typically don't have a short temper, but after a night of drinking I was just a jerk to my wife and kids. I never meant to be like that to them, but I just didn't care. I'd scream at the kids for really no reason (or little reason) and arguments with my wife were so much more aggressive and vile. It actually hurts to write this looking back and knowing how much more of a fulfilling environment I could've had with my family.

I'm definitely not perfect and we still argue; but it doesn't last nearly as long, arguments aren't as "loud", and I'm able to let things roll off my back like I've never been able to before. Overall, I just have a clearer head and can handle the moment better.

That right there is what's helping me keep on track. Every day is still a struggle, but still worth it to be 100% sober. For my family.

CRJR45

WKR
The biggest change I've seen in myself when I quit drinking is my patience. I typically don't have a short temper, but after a night of drinking I was just a jerk to my wife and kids. I never meant to be like that to them, but I just didn't care. I'd scream at the kids for really no reason (or little reason) and arguments with my wife were so much more aggressive and vile. It actually hurts to write this looking back and knowing how much more of a fulfilling environment I could've had with my family.

I'm definitely not perfect and we still argue; but it doesn't last nearly as long, arguments aren't as "loud", and I'm able to let things roll off my back like I've never been able to before. Overall, I just have a clearer head and can handle the moment better.

That right there is what's helping me keep on track. Every day is still a struggle, but still worth it to be 100% sober. For my family.
Nobody is perfect , but I am a much better person for not drinking , and I'm sure you are also . My regrets and mistakes seem to manifest right as I lay down to sleep . But I am much better at controlling my temper , I hardly ever lose it , I'm able to wait until I'm calmed down and talk about whatever bothers me in civilized manner , most times , LOL .
Keep up the good work .

Nobody is perfect , but I am a much better person for not drinking , and I'm sure you are also . My regrets and mistakes seem to manifest right as I lay down to sleep . But I am much better at controlling my temper , I hardly ever lose it , I'm able to wait until I'm calmed down and talk about whatever bothers me in civilized manner , most times , LOL .
Keep up the good work .
Thank you!

Duh

WKR
Man what a slippery slope with booze! Was 5 months sober this year and had a job change. Celebrated with a beer and next thing I know, was drinking beers every night for the next week not even really thinking about it. Had garbage sleep and drive but I tried to ignore and make excuses.

Found myself immediately craving/thinking of booze even more than I ever had. Honestly felt dumb from being so cloudy in my head. I didn’t think I would have fallen off that hard in a week time frame but it seemed pretty drastic this time.

Didn’t consider myself a alcoholic but I do know I have an addictive personality.

I’m cold turkey again and almost at the 3 week mark. That week long relapse solidified that I’m done drinking.

CRJR45

WKR
Man what a slippery slope with booze! Was 5 months sober this year and had a job change. Celebrated with a beer and next thing I know, was drinking beers every night for the next week not even really thinking about it. Had garbage sleep and drive but I tried to ignore and make excuses.

Found myself immediately craving/thinking of booze even more than I ever had. Honestly felt dumb from being so cloudy in my head. I didn’t think I would have fallen off that hard in a week time frame but it seemed pretty drastic this time.

Didn’t consider myself a alcoholic but I do know I have an addictive personality.

I’m cold turkey again and almost at the 3 week mark. That week long relapse solidified that I’m done drinking.
Been there and done that . For me it was golf , after being sober for five years I started drinking one beer after golf . Worked fine until I went to a wedding reception , ended up drunk and wrecked my car and went to jail .
I'd quit dozens of times before , but that was the last straw for me , haven't drank since then .

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved

"One drink is too many for me and a thousand not enough."

ODB

WKR

Indeed it is! For whatever reason it is very quick to rewire your thinking.

Keep it up! 37 pages of support right here when you need it!

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider

I did the same thing brother. Saw this thread and went 8 months last year. Felt amazing. Had a couple beers after shooting a buck and next thing I know I’m back to smashing em nightly. Swore it off for good the beginning of the year. This time I knew it was for good. Stay strong man, it’s worth it waking up with a clear mind everyday.