Quitting Alcohol

I have slowed down my drinking tremendously, only have a drink once every couple of weeks now because I enjoy scotch. It got pretty bad during COVID, was working 65 to 70 hour weeks and drinking around 3 bottles of scotch a week.
Have been on a diet for 6 weeks now and I'm down 40 pounds. That'll change hunting pretty quickly!

Speaking of sugar. One thing I've noticed in the last 3 or months (related or not, I don't know) is that I can no longer drink coffee. It gives me the worst stomach pains. So I've been substituting my coffee with cups of tea (English guy, English tea. Milk, 2 sugars)
I used to take my coffee black with no sugar. In fact, until i quit coffee I hardly used processed sugar for any reason at all! Since i switched though, I'm CRAVING sweet like never before! I still hardly drink soda (maybe 1 a week, which is still about 50 a year more than I've ever drunk) but i cannot go more than a few days without ice cream!
I'm actually getting fatter since i quit drinking 3-5 bottles of whisky (+ beers) a week.

Any tips on giving up sugar?
Sugar is a real pita to tame. When I first quit, I jumped 8 pounds. My wife is a prolific baker and sweets are in the pantry 24-7. My thought process was "that beer I didn't drink was 150 calories, I can have a cookie." Problem is, I can't have just one. It took a lot of will power on my part and in the meantime, my wife decided to go Gluten free and is working on substituting honey and other things for sugar. Have you tried honey? In the evenings now instead of cookies, I will take a little bit of honey and warm it up and mix it in with natural almond butter. It actually is quite fulfilling.
Back to the weight gain. I adjusted my workout times and protein shakes and lost the 8 pounds, plus an additional 10.

robtattoo

WKR
Sugar is a real pita to tame. When I first quit, I jumped 8 pounds. My wife is a prolific baker and sweets are in the pantry 24-7. My thought process was "that beer I didn't drink was 150 calories, I can have a cookie." Problem is, I can't have just one. It took a lot of will power on my part and in the meantime, my wife decided to go Gluten free and is working on substituting honey and other things for sugar. Have you tried honey? In the evenings now instead of cookies, I will take a little bit of honey and warm it up and mix it in with natural almond butter. It actually is quite fulfilling.
Back to the weight gain. I adjusted my workout times and protein shakes and lost the 8 pounds, plus an additional 10.

My wife & I keep bees, so honey is a constant in our household, but I can't abide it in drinks. I may try it in natural yogurt as an ice cream sub though....

I'm gluten intolerant myself, so I feel your pain there!

I also gave up on tobacco in February last year. Dipped a can a day of Grizzly. I use white nicotine now, maybe 2 packs of 8mg pouches a week & my blood pressure came down significantly from that!

I'm running out of shit to quit to lose weight! 😆

Last edited:

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I can't really tolerate coffee anymore either. The caffeine has me geeking out big time. I can only handle about a half cup anymore. I've switched to teas and water in the morning now. I had the same problem with sugar. Candy, ice cream, soda... you name it I was into it BAD!! TONS of water and fresh fruit is what helped curb the cravings for me!
I’ve read a couple guys quit coffee and now drink tea. I can’t drink coffee anymore as it makes my heart race later in the day (palpitations).

I have always heard tea has more caffeine than coffee….is there a decaf tea?

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve read a couple guys quit coffee and now drink tea. I can’t drink coffee anymore as it makes my heart race later in the day (palpitations).

There are lots of decaf teas out there for sure.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

schmalzy

WKR
I'm up to 287 days. I keep a spreadsheet for workouts and I just keep a little tally of days since I quit. I figured I'd keep track until I hit a year just as a sort of mental goal.

I started trying to get into actual fit shape around the time I quit drinking. I'm down 35 pounds this morning over 9+ months. 220ish to 185 currently. Looking to go a few more and just focus on muscle and being mobile for the mountain hunting. I haven't been in this good of shape since I played high school sports almost 20 years ago and the #1 reason I'm finally to this point is stopping drinking.

The newness of not being hung over, even 9-10 months later, hasn't worn off. I still wake up and tell myself, "Wow, this is way better!"

That is simply awesome. Way to go man. Don’t look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick M.

WKR

There are decaf coffees and teas, but they are never truly caffeine-free, a small amount of caffeine will always be present. For true caffeine-free tea, it has to be herbal tea (ie not Camellia sinensis). I grow peppermint, spearmint, chamomile, lavender, stevia, etc. in my garden. They all make for really satisfying herbal teas. I usually make mint + stevia tea at night. It helps digest dinner and really relaxes me. Just add boiling water to the herbs, wait five minutes, and pour through a strainer. There may be some drawbacks to decaf coffee and tea. Here's a really quick paragraph regarding coffee (under the "Drawbacks of drinking decaf coffee" section): https://www.nationwidecoffee.co.uk/news/decaf-coffee-the-good-and-the-bad

For frame of reference, I used to be a coffee junkie, sourced whole beans, grinded them fresh for each cup, had a barista-level pour over, etc. - I went down the rabbit hole. Quitting coffee really killed my anxiety and higher heart rate. My mind throughout the day was way less frenetic. I then moved to teas exclusively, and also went down a rabbit-hole with puerhs, heichas, etc. but they still made me edgy and negatively affected my sleep. I finally came to the realization that I just needed to cut caffeine altogether, aside from a rare social coffee here and there. Once I did that I'm at a great baseline. Heart rate is never high, anxiety is never there, and my sleep is much better. If you want to check out some really high quality herbal teas, check out Steven Smith Teamaker out of Portland, Oregon. Really good stuff. Here is there current collection of caffeine-free herbal teas: https://www.smithtea.com/collections/all-tea/herbal+caffeine-free

This thread has been an inspiring read, guys. I grew up around abusive alcoholics and have always had an aversion to drunk dudes. I was never a heavy drinker, but decided to go zero alcohol several years ago for health reasons. Someone else in this thread made the comment "I've never seen someone made better by drinking" (paraphrasing), and you can't really put it any better than that. Alcohol brings out the worst in people, and is a net negative on overall health. Best of luck to all you guys and gals out there.

Speaking of sugar. One thing I've noticed in the last 3 or months (related or not, I don't know) is that I can no longer drink coffee. It gives me the worst stomach pains. So I've been substituting my coffee with cups of tea (English guy, English tea. Milk, 2 sugars)
I used to take my coffee black with no sugar. In fact, until i quit coffee I hardly used processed sugar for any reason at all! Since i switched though, I'm CRAVING sweet like never before! I still hardly drink soda (maybe 1 a week, which is still about 50 a year more than I've ever drunk) but i cannot go more than a few days without ice cream!
I'm actually getting fatter since i quit drinking 3-5 bottles of whisky (+ beers) a week.

Sugar can be just as addicting as alcohol. When our bodies are used to it, it's an endorphin. Remember this, no good endorphins are free!! Endorphins from running, working out, cold showers, physical activity, etc. are earned...the good kind.

Couple suggestions:
1. Get a calorie counting app such as MyFitnessPal (plenty out there that are free or a small fee) and start building a better eating plan. It's going to take a while before you really get good at dialing in a healthy eating habit that's both satisfying and consistent for the long term. Initially people lose weight fast, but when that slows down, it's easy to get discouraged. After that initial big drop in lbs, focus on losing .5 lbs every other week or so.

2. Find a buddy that has the same goals as you. It's hard to quit sugar or start eating better when it's only you. When you have a friend that you can hold each other accountable, you both win.

3. Do the research to learn which sugars are necessary for the body and which are not. As someone mentioned before, natural sugars from fruits and natural products are so much healthier than the crap that's in soda or energy drinks.

4. Give yourself a pat on the back for quitting alcohol and realize that you achieved a great feat. Getting off sugar is a completely different battle which will also need mental toughness. Ask yourself, are really ready to quit sugar?

Good luck! Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a healthy lifestyle.

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
Love this thread I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time unfortunately its feels very difficult to get the wife on board and it becomes a rub in our relationship anyone dealt with this ?
I quit, and she asked if she had to quit also? I told her no, and I meant it. When we go out socially I drink NA or ice tea and she has her Big Waves. We made a few changes this year, and more to come. But we are doing a better job of exercise, sobriety and more thought put into financial decisions. She has her drinks, but we go home earlier. It would be different if I had trouble saying no, or our friends weren't supportive. The quote I read in here earlier rings true for me. "Those that matter, don't mind. And those that mind, don't matter." I have been very fortunate, noone in my life has been part of the 2nd group. I would encourage you to quit, and when she sees the benefits, and they are countless, she will hopefully want to join you on your journey. Good luck and hope this helps.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
There are decaf coffees and teas, but they are never truly caffeine-free, a small amount of caffeine will always be present. For true caffeine-free tea, it has to be herbal tea (ie not Camellia sinensis). I grow peppermint, spearmint, chamomile, lavender, stevia, etc. in my garden. They all make for really satisfying herbal teas. I usually make mint + stevia tea at night. It helps digest dinner and really relaxes me. Just add boiling water to the herbs, wait five minutes, and pour through a strainer. There may be some drawbacks to decaf coffee and tea. Here's a really quick paragraph regarding coffee (under the "Drawbacks of drinking decaf coffee" section): https://www.nationwidecoffee.co.uk/news/decaf-coffee-the-good-and-the-bad

For frame of reference, I used to be a coffee junkie, sourced whole beans, grinded them fresh for each cup, had a barista-level pour over, etc. - I went down the rabbit hole. Quitting coffee really killed my anxiety and higher heart rate. My mind throughout the day was way less frenetic. I then moved to teas exclusively, and also went down a rabbit-hole with puerhs, heichas, etc. but they still made me edgy and negatively affected my sleep. I finally came to the realization that I just needed to cut caffeine altogether, aside from a rare social coffee here and there. Once I did that I'm at a great baseline. Heart rate is never high, anxiety is never there, and my sleep is much better. If you want to check out some really high quality herbal teas, check out Steven Smith Teamaker out of Portland, Oregon. Really good stuff. Here is there current collection of caffeine-free herbal teas: https://www.smithtea.com/collections/all-tea/herbal+caffeine-free

This thread has been an inspiring read, guys. I grew up around abusive alcoholics and have always had an aversion to drunk dudes. I was never a heavy drinker, but decided to go zero alcohol several years ago for health reasons. Someone else in this thread made the comment "I've never seen someone made better by drinking" (paraphrasing), and you can't really put it any better than that. Alcohol brings out the worst in people, and is a net negative on overall health. Best of luck to all you guys and gals out there.
Great info Rick! Thanks

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I don't drink, and we help keep each other focused on not straying when the opportunity comes up. Socially it was weird at first but now I've found that I have friends who are also sober and there are many "sober-curious" among us. I also work in law enforcement and probably half of the calls I go on would never happen if alcohol wasn't involved.

I abused alcohol in high school and college, and used it as a crutch to deal with stress after that. A majority of my regrets in life involved alcohol. I realized that I don’t actually enjoy it and only wanted it when I was looking for a mental release. I haven’t had a drink since February 3rd and don’t really miss it. Not drinking was the first step that unintentionally changed my entire lifestyle. Increased mental and physical fitness. Increased discipline. Nothing wrong with responsible drinking, my wife still does, But I’m at my best without it.

TheGDog

WKR
“Over time, GERD causes your esophagus to become inflamed, increasing your risk for a condition called Barrett’s esophagus, a known risk factor for esophageal cancer that affects the tissue of your esophagus. Barrett’s esophagus typically does not cause any symptoms beyond those associated with GERD and can therefore often goes undiagnosed”

Quite a few sources on line about this.

Had a guy I worked with that had this. Died at about 55.I don’t know any other history on him.
I recently had to goto ER. After a "Perfect Storm" of things I threw down the hatch this one evening (zesty delicious foods some of it fatty like Tri-tip, NSAIDS as well) So I was wretching, couldn't keep any food down. And massively SEVERE Vertigo. (Which still hasn't fully gone away. Makes hikes "interesting" some times) On 3rd day knew I needed to go to UrgentCare/ER. Since I knew I needed certain imaging equipment, from the discussion with the Teladoc appt. Most strictly Urgent Care places wouldn't work.

So because of the follow-up appt for Endoscopy + Colonoscopy, that's how I now know I have Barret's Esophagus... and in the Colon various spots of Diverticulosis. And it's apparently the Barrett's is due to a Hiatal Hernia, so the top sphincter of the stomach has protruded into the opening of the diaphragm thru which the esophagus passes thru. And also apparently I have a diaphragmatic hernia as well. So the top sphincter doesn't close all the way like like it should, thus reflux issues.

They're recommending a TIF procedure (transoral incisionless fundoplication).

But in this instance I'm understandbly a bit leery of surgery, so just trying to modify my habits for now. Smaller meals at each one. Long list of foods/ingredients to avoid. Give lotta time for food to go down before going to bed (which is one of the hardest ones for me).

I used to train very hard, all the time, until about 45yo when things started ripping left and right. And in my early twenties, then again mid 30's there was periods of self-medicating / drinking in excess, which I'm quite sure initially caused it. Whenever I do drink, the goal is to get buzzed, to release the internal tension, especially for the "social lubricant" aspect of it. Due to being a Type-A personality who worries about meeting responsibilities all the time.

FFwd to today and the hike-ins for hunts with the packbelt all kindsa tight to ensure my hips carry the weight and not my jacked-up lumber, and it's definitely a challenge since I now have some extra around my mid-section that ya start having in your 50's.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
PS... for those of us who find themselves replacing the alcohol with sugars... you need to be honest with yourself and understand it's because our brains have depression, meaning they don't produce as much dopamine as that other more "normal" guy's brain does. This one is really hard, first of all, to come to the realization of... because you've only ever lived your life experiencing it thru your own brain and senses. So you view all your own reactions to things as what "normal" people would do. It isn't until you get older and have a chance to mix it up wiht a wider group of people that you begin to realize the ways in which you're different than others. Not bad, necessarily, just, different. And I'm convinced we DO need all the different types in this world to keep it running.

Also it can be linked to childhood soothing tactics. Like your parents giving you a cookie to "make it all better" that kinda thing. Or your Mom fixes you "your favorite" to cheer you up over something that's got ya down. It sets in motion some conditioning that's really hard to undo.

If you truly want to stop your sugar intake. You have to only drink water. Nothing else. Milk? Lotta sugar in it. Juices? Essentially sugar water. Caffeine, do it sparingly because it affects insulin and will cause cravings for sugar.

No breads. 6x fist-sized smaller meals a day. Home cook everything. AVOID WATCHING TV... ESPECIALLY like after 5p thru 8p or 9p. The Ads CONSTANTLY bombard the snot out of you with all the worst things there are to eat. Essentially.... think to yourself.. if you fell out of a plane and landed in the Rain Forest... what would you be eating? Eat that!

After divorce mid-30's I made it my goal to get abs. And I did pretty good at getting there. But for me it took 24/7 keeping the goal on my mind. 2x 2.5hr workouts each day 5-days a week. Went from 235 down to 185 at lightest.

Last edited:

RhinoKel

FNG

It's hard to avoid mate, it's in everything processed. Personally I went cold turkey on all procesed food and sugar; It's a slow death. The cravings will subside eventually. I do have some raw honey in tea and some seasonal fruit occasionally but that's about it. I've gotten to the stage where fruit tastes super sweet now, and anything processed is too sickly (and gives me a stomach ache). That takes a few months you just need to be disciplined about it. I look at food as sustenance more than a source of pleasure now.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
PS... for those of us who find themselves replacing the alcohol with sugars... you need to be honest with yourself and understand it's because our brains have depression, meaning they don't produce as much dopamine as that other more "normal" guy's brain does. This one is really hard, first of all, to come to the realization of... because you've only ever lived your life experiencing it thru your own brain and senses. So you view all your own reactions to things as what "normal" people would do. It isn't until you get older and have a chance to mix it up wiht a wider group of people that you begin to realize the ways in which you're different than others. Not bad, necessarily, just, different. And I'm convinced we DO need all the different types in this world to keep it running.
A large part of the sugar craving is the carbs missing from drinking alcohol. But the dopamine hit from sugar is is REAL!!! This is a GREAT point about the depressed state alcohol either adds to, or puts and keeps your brain in! During the early parts of trying to quit I'd go a while with out a drink and then I'd have a few one night. The VERY next day and for the next few, there'd be these horribly negative intrusive thoughts!. I stopped drinking regularly over a year and a half ago. Went 14 months completely dry. Only have a beer every once in a great while when it just seems appropriate. The depressed state did eventually fade away. But it does return slightly for a few days if I have a drink. It's just amazing how much more aware I am now of what happens with my mind and how "asleep at the wheel" I was.