Quilts?

1hoda

Banned
Check out the reviews on Outdoor Gear Lab. Good general info as well as details on specific makes and models.

danarnold

WKR
I bought a EE 0* and froze my ass off @ 10* with base layers on, on a cot with a foam pad along with a t.rest... just not for everyone, but the good news is you can sell it pretty easy if you dont like it... I did

colonel00

WKR
I bought a EE 0* and froze my ass off @ 10* with base layers on, on a cot with a foam pad along with a t.rest... just not for everyone, but the good news is you can sell it pretty easy if you dont like it... I did

So do you think you would have been warm with a 0* bag in the same situation with the same setup?

colonel00

WKR
Interesting. What would you say the temp rating on that bag would be? Were you cold due to drafts? Just trying to understand how you were cold with a 0° quilt but fine with a"Pos" bag

apyelkHTR

FNG
Sounds like these things work really well for people that toss and turn a lot. So would they work well for side sleepers? I have a Big Agnes oversized bag that doesn't have any insulation on the bottom but has a sleeve you slide the pad into. It is rated for 15 degrees but when it gets below 30 I can tell it. I think it is because you cant pull the edges in and stop some drafts. Can you easily tuck the edges of the quilts in or not when they are attached to you sleeping pad?

danarnold

WKR
Interesting. What would you say the temp rating on that bag would be? Were you cold due to drafts? Just trying to understand how you were cold with a 0° quilt but fine with a"Pos" bag

No clue on temp rating of bag, coulda been drafts but possibly just the weight diff? I felt kinda naked with the lightweight quilt,
wish I had a better answer

My experience is just the opposite. I bought a EE 10* last year, & @ 25* I had to strip down to nothing but my boxers to keep from over heating.

Poser

WKR
Sounds like these things work really well for people that toss and turn a lot. So would they work well for side sleepers? I have a Big Agnes oversized bag that doesn't have any insulation on the bottom but has a sleeve you slide the pad into. It is rated for 15 degrees but when it gets below 30 I can tell it. I think it is because you cant pull the edges in and stop some drafts. Can you easily tuck the edges of the quilts in or not when they are attached to you sleeping pad?

I sleep every which way except on my back and a quilt works great for me. On a EE, the cinch straps are elastic so you can actually cinch them pretty tight which tucks your quilt pretty snug, even a little bit underneath your pad. You can get it tight enough that there is no noticeable heat loss. Since I toss and turn a lot, I prefer to cinch the straps under the pad. If you sleep in one position all night, you could just as easily cinch the directly under your body.

Mike7

WKR
My short experience with an EE quilt shows it to be significantly warmer than its temp rating for me (probably 5-10 degrees where normally I only sleep about 0-5 degress warmer than ratings). I had absolutely no drafts in temps under 10 degrees, but I did purchase my quilt quite large...large enough that I can adjust the quilt staps so that the edges of the quilt tuck under my body. I think the other key, is that you have to have the proper head gear to handle the temps that you are sleeping in (like a Katabatic, EE, or Zpacks hood for temps below 25 degrees). Both a sleeping bag and a quilt that is too small, can have cold spots where your body parts compress the insulation.

bobhunts

WKR
Very good read. I think i will carry the extra weight. I have several BA bags where the insulation is the pad and I guess I am a cold sleeper. Gonna get a new Marmot Helium so, no matter how I toss and turn I am like a hot dog in a bun. My Sierra Designs Zissou 6 is not as warm as advertised for me. Going really warm for me.

Bulldawg

WKR
So what is the difference in different EE quilts? I will order one as soon as the taxes get back but don't know which one. Accomplice enigma revelation? Pro elite? Is it the down quality the design of the quilt or the outer material used? So many questions.

Very good read. I think i will carry the extra weight. I have several BA bags where the insulation is the pad and I guess I am a cold sleeper. Gonna get a new Marmot Helium so, no matter how I toss and turn I am like a hot dog in a bun. My Sierra Designs Zissou 6 is not as warm as advertised for me. Going really warm for me.

I bought the Zissou 6 last year for my archery elk hunt and I was hot sleeping in just my boxers at night. I felt the bag to be extremely warm. I'm going to go the quilt route this year.