Quilt vs Bag

sivart

WKR
Curious for those who have actually used both. What did you find with pros/cons of either?

I've always used a mummy bag, but considering trying a quilt to shave weight.

Curious for those who have actually used both. What did you find with pros/cons of either?

I've always used a mummy bag, but considering trying a quilt to shave weight.
I've found a quilt okay in early season. I move around a lot when I sleep do when it gets cold the draft gets me and I retire it for my mummy. But the weight savings with the quilt and a light weight sleeping pad are incredible.

I’ve had both. It can be difficult to keep a quilt cinched down to keep out drafts. Really have to figure out how to use the pad straps. I actually find quilts to be restrictive in a way because you really can’t move around without letting heat out.

I do still use quilts because I can’t seem to give up that weight savings.

Drenalin

WKR
I go from side to side a fair bit at night and still prefer a quilt. I’ve only used quilts into the teens, but I currently have zero interest in going back to a bag.

I use a Katabatic Flex quilt. Pros for me:
  • Weight (24.5 ounces for a 30 degree).
  • Packed volume (this is a bigger deal to me than the weight savings).
  • I’ve used the same 30 degree quilt from 60s down to the teens.
  • Mobility when moving around at night, especially in the foot box (compared to a bag).
  • No zippers to snag for those midnight head calls.
Cons for me:
  • Specific to the Katabatic, I wish it was wider. I didn’t notice this being an issue with the Enlightened Equipment I had.
  • I’d like more flexibility in where the pad attachment straps connect to the quilt itself. Both this con and the one above are problematic for me in the cold because I tend to get drafts around my shoulders. Probably because I can’t lay still through the night. Both are manageable, but it does add a fiddle factor that I never had with a bag.

I switched to a quilt and love it. One of the reasons is that I'm a slide sleeper and tend to switch from side to side through the night. When I used mummy bags, I always felt too constricted and I would often wake up in the mornings with the bag twisted around me. I mostly camp in warm weather and having a draft is nice. I have used mine on nights with frost and it was just fine, though I was also using a tyvek bivy that holds it all together and keeps the dew off my quilt.

I love that mine is lightweight, compresses very small (it's down), and works for me as a side sleeper.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a quilt a few years ago. I have a 40 enlightened equipment that I have used down to mid 20s with my puffy and thin long johns. I always carry puffy and a winter hat regardless of weather forecast and being able to add these made a big difference once it was below 40. Bought a 20 Enlightened Equipment last year and have only had it in to the high 20s but was very comfortable. I love being able to toss around and not be twisted up in the middle of the night. Getting the straps dialed makes a big difference and definitely takes more time than just throwing out your bag. It has also been nice in archery season when fires are no go and it gets cold once the sun goes down and I can wrap it around myself before bed while eating dinner. The weight savings and pack space is great

Pdzoller

WKR
Went from bag to quilt. No regrets. I use my quilt year round. I can’t sleep in a mummy bag, any other bag big and warm enough is too heavy. I also let my dog get in the blankets when it’s cold. Can’t do that with a mummy bag.

I have both.

I am a pretty warm sleeper.

I have the Ember ll 35 degree quilt. Weighs 22 oz. That rating is definitely the lower limit for me when paired with a silk liner, midweight merino base layers, and Thermarest X-Lite NXT Max pad.

Anything colder and I am using my Western Mountaineering Versalite bag which is 2 lbs even without a sack.

I will eventually pull the trigger on a colder rated quilt ( thinking 0 to 10 degree range) to see if it does the trick for colder temps.

Everyone talks about weight savings and they are great, but I am just as concerned with bulk, especially on 5+ night trips. Even the Versalite in a compression sack takes up a nice little chunk of space in a pack.

My issue is when I am looking at 0 to 10 degree quilts I am not seeing a significant weight savings over the Versalite bag I already own. Maybe I haven’t looked at the right quilt yet?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
After extensively using quilts down to 0 ratings, I'm now of the opinion (for my use) that quilts are fine to ~ 20 degrees, below that I want a bag.

A draft at 20-30 degrees is not pleasant, below that it's more than unpleasant. My low rated quilts were always purchased in a wide variety, but I found you can still get drafts.

I've actually converted most of quilts to Feathered Friends Flickers- the ability to full zip (or fully unzip) or partially zip from both ends, gives me the convenience of a quilt when needed and the warmth w/o drafts of a bag.

Of course YMMV :)

Seth

WKR
I like my El Coyote 40 quilt in the summer and into the early fall, but when the temps start dropping, my WM Badger gets the nod.

WKR
I've used both and prefer the quilt. I purchased mine in the widest and longest configuration available with straps that connect it to my long/wide downmat sleeping pad. This way I get the freedom of the quilt without the drafts. I've been comfortable in my 10 degree quilt into the teens with this system.

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been going back and forth on getting a quilt. I love the idea and wish there was an easy way to try one out before buying. A good one costs plenty but so does a good bag. I think I’ll end up ponying up for an el coyote.

I tried quilts briefly and got cold in 30 degree temps with a 0 degree (i think, maybe it was 10) quilt on a 5+ R value pad. Way too finicky keeping drafts out for me. When I'm tired, I want to just lay, move, get comfortable, and sleep without worrying about which move will let in a cold draft. People said you got to get the other parts right for it to work. You need a warmer pad, you need to wear your hooded jacket or some particular hat on your head, you need to go extra wide (which i did), etc and all of that adds up to more weight and stuff that you could use to optimize a bag system anyway.

I totally believe people have found setups with quilts that work better for them. I wasn't willing to dick around with it for a few ounces in savings.

Last edited:
I started using a quilt a few years ago, mainly for weight savings. I use a hybrid of a bag/quilt. Sierra Designs makes a backcountry bed that is a mummy bag, but has a “open” area from about your stomach to your shoulders. Then its a hood for your head. They sew in a blanket and you have the ability to vent as needed. There is slot for your feet to exit the bag and it has a sleeve for your pad. Mine is a 20* version, I have a long and a regular version. I fit in the regular fine, but the long is much nicer.

On the flip side, I have to EE Convert sleep systems. These are pretty rad in the fact that they can be a blanket, quilt or bag. I have two, one is a down version, the other is a synthetic. They even zip together. I have put the down inside the synthetic and slept pretty well down to 0-5*.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel like if you hunt/backpack all fall, you'll want to stick with a sleeping bag. Then if you want to shave weight and bulk for the early season then you add a quilt into the mix. If you are only backpacking in the early season and you can only have 1 bag/quilt, then I would look at the temps you're dealing with and if the lower average is 25 degrees or less I'd go with a bag. Hopefully that makes sense. For most folks, I feel like a quilt is an addition to your sleep system now for specifically using in early season with warmer temps looking to save weight and space in your pack. I started using an Enlightened Equipment Enigma and holy smokes I like it. But when temps dip below 20 you'll see me switching to a sleeping bag.