Quilt pros cons

I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on the hammock gear burrow 20. The weight savings and price seem very appealing!

One General quilt question that I haven't decided on is length. Adam tells me the standard length should come to my nose at my height, and would be sufficient. Do you quilt guys ever feel the need to go longer? For the extra 1.5oz, is it worth having another 5 inches, or would I never use it anyways? I have a light beanie that accompanies me on all hunts, anyways.

My sleeping conditions rarely drop below 20F. Most of my nights will be between 20-35F, but early season mule deer will probably be pretty warm.

My Burrow is a standard and it is perfect for me
at an even 72" barefoot.
I wouldn't change it if I could.

Still have two weeks to wait for my quilt to ship and I'm already getting antsy, might need to try it out the first night

Just placed my order for a Hammock Gear Burrow 20 quilt. Decided to go with a Regular length - Wide version, and overstuffed it with 1oz of water resistant 850 down. The specs say that it should come in at 18.7oz (+1oz overfill) but I expect it to be a touch heavier with the ARGON 90 outer fabric. At any rate, I'll be saving a full pound over my current 850 down mummy bag... a full pound, not to mention pack volume. I'll be new to the quilt world, but I'm excited to give it a shot this season. Hopefully I'm as happy with the decision as all of the reviews I'm reading!

Man I love this site :D I was just about to pull the trigger on a Big Agnes sleeping bag, partially because they don't put down in the sleeping side of the bag and have a pocket for a pad. I've never liked mummy bags because of the confinement that you get around the shoulders. After reading this thread, it sounds like the quilts are the way to go. I've never heard of them, until today.

Man I love this site :D I was just about to pull the trigger on a Big Agnes sleeping bag, partially because they don't put down in the sleeping side of the bag and have a pocket for a pad. I've never liked mummy bags because of the confinement that you get around the shoulders. After reading this thread, it sounds like the quilts are the way to go. I've never heard of them, until today.

read this

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?6186-revalation-x-20*-long-wide

I'm totally impressed with EE. They pack down to nothing and weigh nothing. I went from a NF Cats Meow to an EE quilt and from a Big Agnes Lynx Pass 1 to a Nemo Meta 1. Now my tent and "bag" weigh almost the same as just my previous bag. Packed size for both is about the same too.

I love minimalist schit....

I found a number of companies when looking at quilt options. Look into Enlightened Equipment, Hammock Gear, ZPacks, and Underground Quilts.

For me, the HG was the best price for the features I wanted (850 treated down) which got me a lighter quilt for the money I was willing to spend. I probably won't have mine in hand for a couple of weeks but I'll post up some pics and info when it arrives.

Ti Goat Kestrel bivy, EE 10° Enigma treated down, and XTherm pad. Total wt. 39 oz. Man, I love this sleep system!
zuze8ehy.jpg

Nice setup AK Troutbum. I have been putting together a similar system, but was leaning towards the Omni Raven. What made the Kestrel stand out to you?

What temp quilt are you thinking? I have a 10 and 30 that I can show you with both am omni raven and a ptarmigan if you want.

Last edited:
Thanks colonel00, I have an EE 10* Rev LW on its way. I'll be inside a floorless tent. I'm going to call Ti Goat and see what they recommend to accommodate a LW quilt and LW pad, but I was just curious what set the Kestrel, Ptarmigan or Omni Raven apart for those of you that have used them with a quilt and pad.

Ti Goat Kestrel bivy, EE 10° Enigma treated down, and XTherm pad. Total wt. 39 oz. Man, I love this sleep system!
zuze8ehy.jpg

Glad you're liking that setup. I just ordered a Kestrel the other day, but haven't got it yet. I'll be running my EE Rev-X 20 in it with a Supertarp.

Also, heard that EE is coming out with this. Will be two versions, one 30-50F and one 0-20F (both Climashield). Both at or under 2ozs. I wonder if you can get it to match your quilt???

Do you all use a bivy with your quilt?

I plan to use a bivy when I go floorless. While it isn't absolutely necessary, I just like the idea of being able to keep the quilt and pad contained and clean. It also adds a little bug defense if there are some bugs around but not enough to warrant bringing a nest.

Back