Quickest hunt

I shot 7 drake widgeon in 7 minutes with 7 shells....Then the mallards came. Stupid me

Back when the dark goose limit was only 2 (it's 10 now) we didn't have duck water for opening day so we put out an overly large speck spread in cut rice, way too early in the morning. The first group came in 2 minutes after shooting time 5 pack of juvies for 3 guns. We dusted them all. My uncle and I just looked at one another like 'DAMNIT' -- My dad missed the next few before killing his second bird but my uncle and I were done way too quickly.
Lol. I jumped a pile of spoonies once that were all clumped together. 3 shots 7 dead spoonies. I spent the hour drive home questioning my life choices.

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
Quickest from legal shooting time 2 minutes for a turkey. Packed in a ground blind for about 2.5 miles to a spot I had scouted out in years past to try it and then had 3 gobblers come in. So all the work to get set up and try to get everything perfect led to a quick hunt.

Other one was took a white tail doe on a morning that was -7 about 10 minutes after I got into the blind we had set up.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a tundra swan tag in NC. I left my house around midnight and drove 6 hours, grabbed a biscuit at the gas station, met the outfitter who had the land, drove 5 minutes down the road, and got set up right at legal (spread was already in the field). I could have been done within 3 minutes, but the first bird had a little grey. Proceeded to watch a couple of groups come into the decoys to get a feel for what was going on, finally saw one I liked, and shot it. From legal to dead it took 15 minutes, I was in my truck and driving home by 7:30am, still had time to get some work done when I got home.

I've been walking to the deer stand before and killed deer already out feeding a couple of times, that's not too rare to walk up on deer already on the food plot or corn pile though. I killed my best white tail after sitting in the stand for 30 minutes one afternoon (during the rut). I've had a lot of times where we limited out on ducks within 45 minutes to an hour (happened 5 times last year alone).

If I'm on a trip where I traveled a good ways to hunt big game for at least a week plus, I'd rather not kill super early, but I don't like getting down to the final day or two either. I have no problem pulling the trigger on an animal on day 1 if it's a good one though.

Turkey season '12...The wife and I had met some friends out for dinner on Friday night. My youngest son was maybe 6 months old so this was the 1st date night we had been on in while...I told the wife I would forgo hunting in the morning so we could enjoy our evening...

Next morning I stumble out bed around 8:30 with a Cat 3 hangover make a cup of coffee and take the dog out in the back yard. As things start coming into focus I hear a gobble, it's close...I get the dog inside, get my camo on, grab my call and shotgun and head down to the creek. I get setttled..hit the pot 3 times and this gobbler comes running in..I shoot him, pick him up walk back up to the house and finished my cup of coffee that was still warm.

2019 1st elk hunt.
I picked up a left cow tag to go with the antelope tag I drew in WY. I wanted to hunt elk eventually and for $260 figured this was a good way to get my feet wet. Friend told me a couple spots to check out in the unit I had a leftover tag. He said don't leave the road before you can see cause sometimes the elk are right there...I get to one spot sure enough herd of about 30 elk 500yds from the forest service road...I circle around them and get set up and have to wait for legal shooting light. 3 mins after legal shooting light on my 1st day ever hunting WY I had killed my 1st cow elk.

I drew a tundra swan tag in NC. I left my house around midnight and drove 6 hours, grabbed a biscuit at the gas station, met the outfitter who had the land, drove 5 minutes down the road, and got set up right at legal (spread was already in the field). I could have been done within 3 minutes, but the first bird had a little grey. Proceeded to watch a couple of groups come into the decoys to get a feel for what was going on, finally saw one I liked, and shot it. From legal to dead it took 15 minutes, I was in my truck and driving home by 7:30am, still had time to get some work done when I got home.
NC Swan hunts...always takes longer to set and pick up decoys than it does to kill one...at least that's been my experience when I draw that tag.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
NC Swan hunts...always takes longer to set and pick up decoys than it does to kill one...at least that's been my experience when I draw that tag.

Yup. I probably won't go again unless my son draws a tag and wants to shoot one. I had killed a couple before out west, but taxidermist lost them in a freezer accident. I wanted one for the wall.

Bbddalton

FNG
Hit an 8 point white tail on the way to the management area. Didn’t even have to get out of the truck.

DuckDogDr

WKR
First pheasant trip I went on .. spent 20 hours driving to South Dakota . Got to the lodge unpacked. Next morning up at 7, my dad and I had our breakfast. Stepped outside and it was 20 degrees with about a 30-40 mile an hour wind.
My dad said I’m not going out in that. Your dumbass is more than welcome .
Went out to the first Milo field with my then 9 month old pup (he is about to be 9 years now)
Guide had a vizula and GSP as pointing dogs.. we were using my guy to flush.
Flushed 2 roosters off the bat .. bang flop , bang flop.. made it to the end of the field and flushed the third.. bang flop
Guide looked at me funny and said well it’s too early for lunch , most people have the jitters and takes them 2-3 boxes . I told the guide I was happy to keep walking and let him shoot / exercise his dogs.. he laughed said he wanted to get out of the cold as well.
So 1 / 2 mile walk then however long it took to walk a 3-400 yard stretch of milo. Went back to the lodge, cleaned the birds and then got in my PJs and sat in front of the fire the rest of the day.

Next day weather improved my dad and I both went out and then in afternoon went after grouse and Prarie chicken .. making a day of it.

Another quickie ..
Drove to Maine to get my black ducks. Tide was down at launch. Drug the canoe about 1/2 mile. Threw out a dozen decoys. Big flock came over.. bang splash , picked out another single.. bang splash. Too more time to throw out decoys than it did to shoot.
My girlfriend rode with me the first time to more sight see… this year she decided she wanted to shoot… we took a lot longer 😂

E13E3DC2-D980-40A3-B332-7ECF3E96AA49.jpegE13E3DC2-D980-40A3-B332-7ECF3E96AA49.jpeg1DBFA7EA-FBEE-4635-BE39-553BDE3148EF.jpeg

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Another:

My first year gun deer hunting, 13 yrs old, my 16 yr old brother walked me to my stand at first light to make sure I got situated.

It was a field stand overlooking a cut corn field. I climbed up, sat down & gave my brother the "thumbs up" and he walked back towards the entrance of the field. He got to the entrance, (Probably 200 yds) and had to turn around cuz I had just shot a doe that ran right under my stand!

My brother couldn't believe it. He walked back to me and we hauled the deer out.

I had been archery antelope hunting an area for a few years, killed a few bucks there, knew the area very well and knew how antelope used the trerrain. Finally drew a rifle doe tag for the same area.

Opening day drove to a high point, 5 minutes of glassing, 20 minute walk, 400 yd shot, dead doe antelope. Almost didn't feel right.

Quickest hunt for me also led to the biggest bodied white I’ve ever harvested.

I was supposed to meet some family for a quail hunt at 0800. So I parked at our meetup spot at 0630 and climbed a tree less than 100yds from my truck. Right at daybreak a group of does walked within 50yds. Just beyond them in the fog I saw a wide rack twisting in the tall grass. He didn’t score well, but he was a scale verified 330# South Georgia buck! I had him skinned and quartered and made it back before the quail hunt started. That spoiled me for a few seasons and I struggled with patience after that.

Decker9

WKR
Last year while driving my daughter to school, opening morning, I look out across the lake and see a moose. Quick txt to my old man, he confirms it’s a bull.

Had to borrow my moms gum boots and jacket for the quick boat ride across the lake, shot the bull on the shore, towed him across the lake and pulled him out with the old loader. full moose hanging in the barn by noon opening morning.

$$ per pound was cheap last year!

Attachments

• IMG_6837.jpeg
    IMG_6837.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1987.jpeg
    IMG_1987.jpeg
    719.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1994.jpeg
    IMG_1994.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 7

WBrim

WKR
I had one real quick one. A spot I was headed for muley is about 1 1/2 mile in. Park the truck and start hiking. It’s up switchbacks that move up a canyon. Maybe 1/4 mile in, some deer start popping up. Just does. Wait for a few minutes, and a buck comes browsing along. I shoot. He runs right down the canyon, as fast as he can toward my truck. Gets pretty close too. Drops dead. I dragged him the last little bit, but get him right to the truck after gutting. He sure helped me on that “pack out”