Quickest hunt

WKR

WKR
Two years ago I was hiking into a wilderness area to find a buck, about a mile into the hike I hear something rustling around up in a tree. It was still dark and about 15 minutes before shooting light so I couldn't quite make it out until I put the binos up but I looked up and about 50 yards away and 30 ft up a tree was a black bear with a big white spot on its chest just going to town chomping on acorns.
I put my pack down, turned the illuminated reticle on my scope on, and waited for legal shooting light. Once it was time I shouldered my rifle put the crosshairs right on that white patch and sqeezed. Watched her fall out of the tree and she was dead before she hit the ground.

So I filled a tag 1 minute into legal shoot light and had it caped and quartered back to the truck at around 8:30 am.

That one will be hard to beat

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Two years ago I was hiking into a wilderness area to find a buck, about a mile into the hike I hear something rustling around up in a tree. It was still dark and about 15 minutes before shooting light so I couldn't quite make it out until I put the binos up but I looked up and about 50 yards away and 30 ft up a tree was a black bear with a big white spot on its chest just going to town chomping on acorns.
I put my pack down, turned the illuminated reticle on my scope on, and waited for legal shooting light. Once it was time I shouldered my rifle put the crosshairs right on that white patch and sqeezed. Watched her fall out of the tree and she was dead before she hit the ground.

So I filled a tag 1 minute into legal shoot light and had it caped and quartered back to the truck at around 8:30 am.

That one will be hard to beat
Pic?

Killed this one the first day of a 14-day hunt. We fished, chain smoked cigarettes and drank beer the rest of the time we were there. Those were the damn days....

MOOSE 2010 032.jpg

I should also note that 95% of the time I fill my tag in the last day of a hunt.....this was a warm welcome.

Last edited:

TripleJ

WKR
In 2005, I had young 3 boys at home, the oldest being 5. Archery elk season was coming up and my wife insisted that I go. I just knew that I didn't want to be gone too long since she had so much on her plate. My dad and I drove over to the other side of the state the night before opening morning. I knew of a saddle on a big ridge back in the wilderness that I wanted to be at first light, so we hiked in the dark opening morning to make it back there. We got to the spot I had in mind and made a set up. I was the caller and I put my dad where I thought any elk coming in would most likely walk through. I made about 4 cow calls and I had a bull bugle back. After a few more calling sequences, I caught movement of a cow running in. She came to about 40 yards from me. 15 seconds later, a raghorn 4x5 came running in. Of course, they came in about 40 yards in front of me and not my dad. I didn't have a shot at first, but I had a good view of the bull trying to mount the cow, a pretty cool experience. They finally moved forward into a shooting window, and I was already at full draw. I took aim and shot the bull. It was a decent shot but not great, as the bull moved when the arrow was in the air. After he was hit the bull moved towards my dad. The old man did the right thing and put a perfect insurance shot on the bull as it trotted past him, and he was down within another 20 seconds. So here we are, an hour after first light on opening morning, with a bull down, and only a couple miles from the trailhead. We finished the pack out by early afternoon and made it back home the following morning. That was a day in the elk woods I will cherish for the rest of my life. My dad still hunts, but that was the last time he archery elk hunted, and the last time he hunted the wilderness with me.

Last edited:

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple:

Several years ago I had a muzzleloader mule deer tag for an area 3.5 hours from my house. I had a 6 month old baby at home so I promised my wife I'd only stay one night. I left the house at 3 am and got to my spot right at legal shooting light. I parked and began walking to a glassing point. Not 40 yards from my truck some does and a decent buck ran right towards me. I shot the buck, quartered him, and was back home for lunch.

Two years ago my buddy and I had cow elk tags. We got to our spot at first light opening day and immediately saw a herd of about 100 elk. I shot one, he shot about 5 seconds after that, and we had them both on ice by about 1. The best part was they died on either side of a two track road, so the "packout" (I don't think we even used packs) was about 30 yards. This was on private land so that has a lot to do with the early success and easy "packout."

Last one. I get to hunt on my buddy's family ranch for antelope every year, and we have the place to ourselves. We almost always have two bucks killed and on ice by noon.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Elk season last year- After driving 14 hrs from Texas to Colorado and staying up until 1am drinking beers with a buddy, I shot my first archery elk at 8am on morning 1 of our 9 day hunt.

Have shot 2 turkeys within a few seconds of their feet hitting the ground.

Zdub02

WKR
I convinced my wife to come out to my hunt club with me a few Christmases ago. We barely got up a double ladder stand and sat down when two does ran by. I told her one of the does would run back by us and we'd be done. That happened about 30 seconds later and I dropped the doe. The whole hunt including parking the truck, walking to, and climbing in the stand till I shot the deer took less than 15 minutes. Wife said it was the best hunt she's ever been on with me.

I wish I could say this ends with meat in the freezer but it's kind of entertaining...
Opening morning of archery elk, we walk in before daylight to an area where two busy gametrails intersect and the wind is right.
I drop my pack and nock an arrow and commence to picking up twigs and pinecones in the little depression where I was setting up.
I get the area fairly clear of forest litter and stand up to see the lead cow of a herd of about 30 elk staring at me from 25 yards broadside. This is a cow unit and she saw me the same time I saw her and we both had that 'OH SHIT' bubble over our heads.
The staredown continued as I slowly reached for my bow and about the time I got my release on the loop, she decided it was time to leave and took the herd with her.
No blood on that trip.

I have linked my original post below.

It was my first trip ever to Alaska. I was on a 9 day moose and black bear hunt. First day of legal hunting, from the time we left camp, climbed a tree, got out of the tree and dropped a 76.5” moose was 30 mins. I will forever be grateful for the experience and know how very lucky I was, I also acknowledge I have ZERO idea what moose hunting is really all about. I feel like I need to go again just to know what it’s all about. The trophy is amazing, but it’s not the experience i had ever envisioned.

OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Fast n fun caribou hunt. My mother is law was going to watch our kids for 3 days. Beautiful wife n me head to Denali Hwy. Get near Butte lake and there is a nice bull boo standing 75 yards off the road. I grabbed my rifle, bull down.
Then I heard folks screaming n hollering, he killed it he killed it. Yeppers sure did. There was a valley that the highway circled around. And a pull out on the other side. Full of tourists that were apparently watching this boo in their binoculars when I pulled the trigger.
And I guess have never seen an animal harvested. Oh well. Had the boo home by supper time. And a few days wife the wife all alone.
That was a nice hunt

• Haha
Reactions: WKR
My quickest hunt was a typical afternoon deer hunt on a beautiful fall day in Harris Co, GA many years ago. Climbed into a ladder stand propped up against a water oak overlooking a small field at about 4:30pm. Was too lazy that afternoon to put my boots on so I was in a pair of New Balance. Barely sat down & got comfortable when a nice 8 walks out about 40 yards. Less than 5 minutes & done. Had him in the truck & back at camp in another 20 minutes.

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
I tore my meniscus about 3-weeks prior to my son’s first bull elk hunt. While I was laid up in camp recovering from surgery, my wife and brother-in-law took him out early on opening day. Around 10:30 am I see them returning to camp in my brother-in-law’s truck and start to wonder what happened. My son jumped out of the truck grinning from ear-to-ear and said he shot his first bull about an hour after first light. With several more hunts since under his belt since then, he has since come to realize that killing a bull is not always that quick and easy 😊.

Lytro

WKR
A5D44B20-9E60-4C9D-AC90-76B4F34A5E2C.jpegTwo seasons ago I got back to SD from my NM/CO hunts and my Black Hills whitetail tag was open. Decided I would go out at first light to sit a drainage I had seen a nice 4x4 in during archery.

Woke up early the next morning and stepped in a puddle that my dog conveniently left for me that night. Got out the carpet cleaner and didn’t get to my spot until 30 minutes after sun up. I approached the ledge where I planned on sitting, and the buck I was after was with two does directly below me. The deer scattered, but the buck ended up stopping broadside at about 60 yards. My hunt was over about 5 minutes after leaving my truck.

AthensGA

FNG
Years ago I took a buddy deer hunting in middle Georgia. He had only hunted a few times before and had never seen, much less shot a buck. I took him to one of my favorite spots, dropped him off, and then started walking another one of my stands. I didn't even make it to my tree before he shot. It was an awesome buck and it absolutely hooked him on deer hunting. 15+- years later he has yet to shoot a larger one.

Thanks for the stories guys. Growing up on a farm in central MN I've had plenty of quick hunts for whitetails. Since I moved to CO 12 years ago, hunting has become much more complicated. I drive back to MN every fall to utilize my lifetime license and always leave with fresh corn fed venison in the cooler

I shot 7 drake widgeon in 7 minutes with 7 shells....Then the mallards came. Stupid me

Back when the dark goose limit was only 2 (it's 10 now) we didn't have duck water for opening day so we put out an overly large speck spread in cut rice, way too early in the morning. The first group came in 2 minutes after shooting time 5 pack of juvies for 3 guns. We dusted them all. My uncle and I just looked at one another like 'DAMNIT' -- My dad missed the next few before killing his second bird but my uncle and I were done way too quickly.

Broomd

WKR
Quickest hunt? Thirty seconds.....

My wife left the breakfast table, grabbed her rifle; headed out the door. About :30 later "boom." Scared the tar outta me. I thought maybe she had an inadvertent firing, although that would be completely out of character as she's very careful with her rifle.

She was headed to the back stand to sit for cow elk, but barely made it past the shop when she killed a chunk of a cow that had wandered on up near the house..

IMG_5153.JPG

I had a NV deer tag. Talked to the bio who gave me turn by turn directions to a spot to try and cautioned me not to shoot the first buck I see. Took me about 6 hours to get to the spot. I got there about 1 PM and decided to hike over to some rim rocks to glass for the evening. Put the spotter up and started boiling water for a Ramen lunch. Took a peek through the glass at a little bench maybe 200 yards away. Nice 4 point staring at me. Kicked the noodles over, burned my leg and put the rifle on it. Decide its a shooter and dropped him. From the same brush pile a true giant bounded away. Got the buck broken down and in in the truck. All told I was on the mountain for 2 hours. I was home in time to tell my wife goodnight.