Question regarding primers

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Question for everyone. Been using the CCI primers, cci 200 and cci 250, have had good luck but recently have had 2 misfires. Shot probably 1000 of them over time, and only 2 misfires total. Not a huge problem at range but still annoying. And don’t want to have that happen on an animal. So I’m thinking about switching(or at least start looking) for fed 210 and 215 which is what most people seem to use. Wonder how much it would affect my current loads? And also, think it’s worth the switch?

Every time I have had a misfire, it was multiple on the same lot, it wasn't the primer, it was me, and after disassembling the remaining ammo, I knew what I did. Everything from corn cob media in flash holes to using a non-magnum primer in -10 degree weather for shotgun loads. I am thankful I learned the less painful way.

Bater

WKR
I have had just a handful of misfires using both federal and CCI over the course of probably 10,000 handloaded rifle rounds. I don’t believe one is more “reliable” than the other, and I surely would not switch given your circumstance.

OP
T

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I should’ve put, im fixing to have to purchase some more and was getting opinions before I did. Thanks

Yes, you will have to re-work your load with Federal primers. I say that with the caveat that you could get lucky and everything lines up correctly but its statistically unlikely. It won't probably take a lot of work to get it back to where it was though.

Harvey_NW

WKR
If you search CCI misfire there's quite a few threads out there about the 250's. I absolutely recommend starting with a moderate charge and working up if you switch. I switched from a 250 to a Fed 215 not thinking much of it testing loads once, I gained 200 fps and nearly locked the bolt up.

49ereric

WKR
Only primer misfired I had when new to reloading was my fault.
been washing hands before any handling of primers for decades and no further issues.

Vern400

WKR
I have had CCI pistol primers go bad because of poor storage conditions. 5%plus bad. I don't know if it was humidity or heat. Keep them dry and keep them cool below about 85° ideally. The less the temperature swings, the lower the risk is. I started putting them in a metal ammo box with a desiccant pack. They are almost eternal if you do it right.

I have not had a primer fail in small rifle or large rifle. I have crunched up some pretty bad installing them but I just pop them, punch them out, and reinstall a good one