Question on the Sawyer Mini filter

MattB

WKR
The male adapter fits on the mini from the inline kit.

Based on that, could you basically use 2 different bite valve sections to achieve the same goal? Here is what I am thinking: cut the hose and put the male section in line on the section still attached to the bladder. You could then have one bite valve setup that has the mini, ~8" of tubing and then the bit valve. You could have a second set-up with the female side of the adapter, ~8" of tubing and a bite valve? Not quite as god as being able to unscrew/remove the mini and screw the hose ends back together, but achieving the same goal.

Ok I'm not sure exactly what's going on with this thread anymore. Take your hose, figure out where you want to put your filter and cut it there. Then take the mini and shove the end of it in your hose with the arrow facing the bite valve section, then take the other hose section and shove it into the other end of the mini. Boom your done. It's an inline, it doesn't need adapters and was design for this purpose for people who complained about the bulkiness of the squeeze.

desertcj

WKR
I'm going to put quick disconnects on my bladder because I want to be able to switch between a bite valve for drinking and a bigzip with dirty water with a Sawyer inline to refill. That's also going to double my water capacity putting me at 3L clean and 3L of unfiltered water if it's a long way between water sources.

MattB

WKR
Ok I'm not sure exactly what's going on with this thread anymore. Take your hose, figure out where you want to put your filter and cut it there. Then take the mini and shove the end of it in your hose with the arrow facing the bite valve section, then take the other hose section and shove it into the other end of the mini. Boom your done. It's an inline, it doesn't need adapters and was design for this purpose for people who complained about the bulkiness of the squeeze.

Some folks want to be able to remove the filter for situations where it is not needed, and were discussing how to use the adapter Sawyer makes to affect that.

desertcj, the big zip already has a QD where the hose meets the bladder, not sure if that helps you or not.

dotman

WKR
Based on that, could you basically use 2 different bite valve sections to achieve the same goal? Here is what I am thinking: cut the hose and put the male section in line on the section still attached to the bladder. You could then have one bite valve setup that has the mini, ~8" of tubing and then the bit valve. You could have a second set-up with the female side of the adapter, ~8" of tubing and a bite valve? Not quite as god as being able to unscrew/remove the mini and screw the hose ends back together, but achieving the same goal.

If you are adding it as an inline filter then I assume your bladder will be a dirty bag, unless you plan to sterilize the bag why do you want to have an option to filter or just drink out of the same bag?

Ray

WKR
I use a Big Zip as my main drinking bag with the filter in line. It will always be dirty and never used with out the filter.

I use platypus bottles for water storage. You pop out the bite valve and fill the bottles up with a fast steady flow. You can use the twist valve on the bite valve end to control water flow between containers. Once you are done filling your storage bottles, reinstall the bite valve and fill the Big Zip for drinking.

The process is ridiculously simple.

If you are adding it as an inline filter then I assume your bladder will be a dirty bag, unless you plan to sterilize the bag why do you want to have an option to filter or just drink out of the same bag?

Exactly, the moment I put dirty water in a bladder that bladder gets marked dirty and never does not have a filter attached to it.

Some folks want to be able to remove the filter for situations where it is not needed, and were discussing how to use the adapter Sawyer makes to affect that.

desertcj, the big zip already has a QD where the hose meets the bladder, not sure if that helps you or not.

I guess I'm not understanding when you would want to remove the filter from a dirty bag?

MattB

WKR

It is easy enough to run some bleach water through the bladder. I do more hunts/hikes where I do not need the filter than where I do, so it nice to have optionality.

Shrek

WKR
I have the squeeze filter adapted inline now and never take it out. The weight of it works to make the hose hang tight to my chest without having to attach the hose to my harness. I put the filter down by the bite valve so I grab and hold the hose by the filter. Very easy to line it up that way. If the mini doesn't have enough weight to use it this way I'll stick to the big filter.

bbrown

WKR
So I was curious and grabbed both the original and the mini from REI and figured I would run them against each other.

Basically, I filled up a 100oz bladder with tap water, hung it from a hook in my garage and timed how long it took each one to empty. I repeated this 3 times for each filter. The original averaged 2:28 to empty and the mini averaged 6:10 - pretty big difference.

This is by no means scientific test but I tried to keep the constants the same:
-the same weight of water each time (5lbs 8oz)
-water temp consistent (same faucet wide open with cold water)
-same hose length between bladder and filter (head pressure)
-hanging from the same hook each time with the filter hanging directly below the bag.

As much as I like the size and cost of the mini but I think I am going to stick with the original.

colonel00

WKR
Interesting test. I will try to do something similar. In the long run, 4 mins isn't life or death but could draw it if doing a large tank of camp water

bbrown

WKR
Ya I wonder if the lower flow rate means it would also be more easily clogged too. The time is not a huge deal but it also seemed like it took more effort to drink thru the mini as well but that's subjective and prolly mostly in my head.
Either way is still better than pumping...

colonel00

WKR
I will see if I can mix in some "real world" tests too. Maybe some decent, clear creek water and then some nasty water too.

So I was curious and grabbed both the original and the mini from REI and figured I would run them against each other.

Basically, I filled up a 100oz bladder with tap water, hung it from a hook in my garage and timed how long it took each one to empty. I repeated this 3 times for each filter. The original averaged 2:28 to empty and the mini averaged 6:10 - pretty big difference.

This is by no means scientific test but I tried to keep the constants the same:
-the same weight of water each time (5lbs 8oz)
-water temp consistent (same faucet wide open with cold water)
-same hose length between bladder and filter (head pressure)
-hanging from the same hook each time with the filter hanging directly below the bag.

As much as I like the size and cost of the mini but I think I am going to stick with the original.

the mini is to be used like a life straw not a main filter... not sure why people are trying to re invent the wheel. its great for its purpose. ;)

bbrown

WKR
Might be worth going back to their website for some research... :) (I hate emoticons by the way)

http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-mini-filter/

Sawyer MINI Water Filter

"Our most popular filter just got smaller and lighter. The Mini weighs just 2 ounces and filters up to 100,000 gallons! What’s special about Sawyer filters is they filter to 0.1 micron absolute, exceeding EPA and NSF recommendations. Did we mention you can drink directly from the Mini, attach it to Sawyer Squeeze Pouches, use inline on a hydration pack, or attach it to the top of almost any bottled water?"

the mini is to be used like a life straw not a main filter... not sure why people are trying to re invent the wheel. its great for its purpose. ;)

The mini was designed as a smaller more compact version of the squeeze. And the reason?? Because people would complain about
The weight an bulkyness as an inline.

i think its use should be more like a life straw....... the squeeze pouch is like a bonus imop. the thing has a straw to drink out of streams, bottles etc...... either way have fun with that being a main filter. its great to throw in your bino rig for mountain stalks etc.....

Last edited:

bbrown

WKR
I agree greyghost - with the specs they advertise basically being the same as the regular inline but cheaper and more compact I figured it was worth checking. Honestly the regular Sawyer inline was a big surprise for me as far as performance so I figured maybe they would surprise me again.

well... spose my comment last nite came across rude, not intended. i have 2 mini's and regardless of marketing etc when i looked at it i saw a more run and gun filter sorta speak than my only filter. your experiment was great and others could benefit prior to purchase from your test. from past experience in the mountains i now carry one with me at all times for the ever so un scripted things that happen in the wilderness.....