Question - can anyone point me to studies of lead vs copper bullets on game?

We have a proposal emerging from the Victorian government in Australia to force hunters to use non-lead projectiles for all public land hunting in the state. Are there any scientific studies that compare the different options and actually talk about ant of the issues with copper?

I want to be able to put forward an argument for hunter choice, and at least give them something else to consider. The current thinking of the government workers seems to be lead - bad. Copper - good. Decision made.

Jimmy

WKR
Personally I've been using copper for several years now and they still kill animals. Three shots and three deer. Meh, it works. Seems to make smaller exit wounds. I had a few lead bullets that made just some massive exit holes. My 2 cents

dtrkyman

WKR
Meateater has a video on YouTube I believe, or at least an article on their site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austink47

WKR
Just out of curiosity, is there a specific animal they are worried about?

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but I found it interesting.

OP
R
Personally I've been using copper for several years now and they still kill animals. Three shots and three deer. Meh, it works. Seems to make smaller exit wounds. I had a few lead bullets that made just some massive exit holes. My 2 cents
Yes, and there is a significant amount of anecdotal observation from hunters giving examples of copper bullets giving poor or reduced killing efficacy. But all the studies I can find all seem to conclude much the same thing - that lead and copper bullets kill equally effectively.

JFK

WKR
There probably aren’t many objective studies. Most of them are funded by groups who wish to see lead banned.

Anecdotally, and completely unscientific, but I live in California, so must use copper bullets but also use them out of state and they’ve worked fine. Call it 30 or so animals I’ve killed or been around to see killed with copper and they’ve dropped stuff pretty consistently.

WCB

WKR
Yes, and there is a significant amount of anecdotal observation from hunters giving examples of copper bullets giving poor or reduced killing efficacy. But all the studies I can find all seem to conclude much the same thing - that lead and copper bullets kill equally effectively.
I mean dead is dead so both are equally effective. Not sure who they were but I know at Sheep Show there was an organization there pushing copper bullets and had models, gel, video etc.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I mean dead is dead so both are equally effective. Not sure who they were but I know at Sheep Show there was an organization there pushing copper bullets and had models, gel, video etc.
Probably hammer. But be careful, they're worse than the sunshine carpet cleaners.....

Last edited:
Probably hammer. But be careful, they're worse than the sunshine carpet cleaners.....

Their bullets seem to work just fine.

But all the studies I can find all seem to conclude much the same thing - that lead and copper bullets kill equally effectively.
Ask any duck hunter if they are the same.

I think everyone is surprised that the commonwealth lets a prison colony have arms to begin with. (Joking, I’m in WA every year and have many good friends there 😉)

I would imagine a similar argument is being made about lead causing irreversible environmental damage and accidental ingestion by any wild species in a given habitat is a credible threat to a healthy ecosystem.

I also would assume the folks in Canberra imagine all hunters look like bogans and are just spraying lead in all directions from their rusted out Ute with a “CU in the NT” sticker on the bumper, but I digress.

Copper bullets “work”, but so would nearly any projectile of relative density moving at the same speed if given a limited set of parameters.

Some arguments, which may be double-edged swords, can be made, but it’s hard to objectively have a conversation with someone when they have an agenda.

The problem is that you would be arguing in terms of financial burden, ballistic superiority, and effectiveness in causing mortal wounds while the opposition is arguing in environmental terms. Those narratives are on two completely different planets.

OP
R
I have shot about 40 animals with copper bullets, and seen about the the same number shot by other hunters. They do kill, but also have more limitations that lead bullets from my observation. Copper bullets kill very differently than lead bullets, and I prefer the performance of lead bullets in most situations.