Question About Feral Pigs In North Dakota

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Trapping the entire sounder at once is the preferred control measure, I have seen hogs disappear completely in a 8 square mile area from trapping with one well designed radio controlled feeding corral. Feed them regularly until they become accustomed to the trap drawing more sounders in and close the gate. No lost pigs to educate others not trapped. Hunting clearly educates the hogs, especially with helicopters. They are smart animals. TPWD sent out a survey a few years ago about using sodium nitrite to kill hogs, never heard any follow up so I suspect that control method was not well received. Instead of using the term poison, it was referred to as a toxicant, while accurate was just an example of using language to obfuscate a topic.
I like this idea. By the time they die from it they would be precured and ready for the smoker!

Duh

WKR
ND is wide open. Once reported, action is taken very swiftly and effectively. Farm Bureau $ and Big Oil $ pulls the levers in the state. USDA Wildlife Services has a very effective crew and their sole purpose is protecting agricultural interests from wildlife/feral wildlife. I know most of them and they love what they do. They can’t get in the air quick enough once something is called in and I assure you they’re much more effective than Ole and Lena scattering hogs all over the place.

We had several wild hogs that lived along the railroad tracks in Emmons county in the mid 90s. We would see them all the time in Linton. They’ve also removed several from Standing Rock land in ND.
I’ve seen the wild ones down on the cannonball river. They’re all gone now supposedly.

In the early 2000s I used to bow hunt the Turtle Mountains close to the Canadian border. I had quite a few pigs on my trail camera. I spoke to the local warden and he said any feral pig most like escaped or was abandoned from the reservation that was near buy. He came with me to check my trail cam one evening and we flushed out about 8 of them as we were walking in and he shot a small one with his pistol. I dont remember what the did with it after that.

Sure wish they would invade Idaho from the north. Son lives up there and nobody ever has seen any. I kinda think the invasion from Canada is Hogwash!