Quad vs Side by Side

sivart

WKR
I can only afford one or the other. Looking for pros and cons. Mainly used for two tracks and logging roads. I'm tired of tearing my truck up on some of the nasty forest service rds. thanks

pirogue

WKR
Assuming by quad, you mean one-up vs side by side. Guess they are referred differently by where you live. But anyway, some considerations are larger trailer need, some states have width restrictions on some forest trails( one-up allowed, but no side by side). Additional maintenance costs. Payload preference? You hunt alone? Take the girlfriend or wife along?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
A quad is cheaper, easier to store and travel with. My buddy went from quad for a decade, side by side for 6 yrs and back to quad for these reasons. The side by side was fun and more storage, just not as easy to use and travel with.

Also, easier to sell to the mrs and get out if broken down . We often go out as 3 and have had to tow twice and the side by side crippled out once. Don’t want to walk out on snowshoes 20 miles🤙

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpeg
    IMG_0407.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0406.jpeg
    IMG_0406.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5043.jpeg
    IMG_5043.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3085.jpeg
    IMG_3085.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 179
  • P3300752 (640x480)-001.jpeg
    P3300752 (640x480)-001.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_7305.jpeg
    IMG_7305.jpeg
    579.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0404.jpeg
    IMG_0404.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0405.jpeg
    IMG_0405.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
OP
S

sivart

WKR
I have an old quad, and I can get it about anywhere. I've never ran a side x side, but I'm guessing they aren't as maneuverable?

SloppyJ

WKR
These days quads are on life support. To me it comes down to budget and how utilitarian you need it to be. This pains me to say, I grew up racing quads, but from a practicality standpoint, I'd rather have a side by side. I've ridden in quite a few and my inlaws own 3. Their Honda Talon is my favorite. From the love valve shocks to the direct drive.

Quads hurt my hips to sit on very long.
Only upside to a quad for me is price, and smaller for hauling. Maybe a slight bit maneuverability and durability, and possibly weight especially if gonna track it up.
And my 500 has back up pull start.

But for normal hunting sxs. So much more comfortable, more room, storage, talking to your hunt partner.
Bit they are quite a bit more money.
But also much more useful if you have property.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
SxS's offer more comfort (can get heater, roof/windscreen), dedicated passenger seat while not sacrificing cargo capacity, seats are more comfortable,

Quads are easier to transport, less room to store, cheaper, get into tighter places.

Whats the best option is what best suits your perosnal preferences

packer58

WKR
We used and hunted off quads for years, my 2003 Rubicon 500 has a little over 9,000 miles on it and still runs like a top. In 2021 I purchased a Pioneer 1000 and I can tell you it's like a Cadillac compared to my quad, you can deff travel faster in the rocky stuff with a quad but it really beats you up on long trips.

I use a 2020 Honda rancher and 2021 Polaris Ranger 1000 Xp almost daily.
They’re not in the same ball park as far as cost, and they couldn’t be more different.

Your needs, preferences and budget will dictate the machine, but your original post leaves far to many questions, to be answered effectively.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I prefer 4-wheelers to side by sides for my application. However, it sounds like you may be more happy with the side by side over the 4-wheeler. Good luck.

11boo

WKR
IMG_7105.jpegIMG_6648.jpeg

What everyone said is true. I am locked out of a few 50” trails, but not many.

I really like having a roof and plenty of room. The Yamaha has been really good to me, tires and maintenance is all. Our roads were kicking my butt in a Jeep , this thing is a caddie compared to it. You need a pretty big trailer.

quiet, powerful and only stuck once, high center in deep snow.
19 Wolverine, I fabbed up the rear rack.

A pioneer will have a bit more room.

I would grab an older nissan frontier or tacoma instead of a side by side if that is what it is going to be used for. Will cost the same and give you way more flexibility.

That’s a really good perspective.

New Rangers/Pioneers are stupid expensive
A used Nissan Pro 4x is likely way less than a Pioneer or Ranger. You have a heater and AC, a legit bed, and can drive it on the highway. Unless you are doing some serious off roading, its a no brainer.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used both. A two seat sxs isn’t that difficult to travel with. Unless you have width restrictions on trails I find a sxs hard to beat. They are more expensive for sure, that’s the big downside. Plus if you get into bad weather, rain, snow, cold, crazy mud etc the sxs will keep you and your gear cleaner and dryer which is a huge plus

GARLICSALT

Lil-Rokslider
I have an old quad, and I can get it about anywhere. I've never ran a side x side, but I'm guessing they aren't as maneuverable?
Yes they are, we have a 2006 Suzuki king quad 450 4x4, bought it new. Thing goes anywhere. I would tow a small trailer with my gear. Worked very well never had a problem going anyplace I wanted to go even pulling the trailer.
We got a 2018 Polaris RZR 1000 turbo S four seater, this is a sport style SXS not a utility side by side. I load all the same crap and then some in the back seating area and rear storage area that I previously would take in the trailer and go anywhere we want to go. The only real difference is now my wife or a buddy is in the passenger seat. If I put a hitch on the SXS I would be able to run the trailer with all the gear and another couple and my spare tire and go pert near anywhere we would want to go with confidence.
Have fun good luck!