Q&A Zero Tech Trace ADV 4-24x50mm Tremor 3 reticle scope

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This is the Q&A for-

I didn't know much about this scope so I looked it up. Not a cheap scope (pricewise) by any means. Although price doesn't seem to have much correlation with durability overall.

Curious to know how this ended up on the test list. A company I've never heard of, poor hunting reticle, and nothing about durability testing on the website. "Tasco" does appear though, were these folks involved in the original tasco/current swfa design?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Curious to know how this ended up on the test list. A company I've never heard of, poor hunting reticle, and nothing about durability testing on the website. "Tasco" does appear though, were these folks involved in the original tasco/current swfa design?

From what I understand, someone walked into UM and asked if it could be evaled.

Who makes Zero Tech scopes?
Founded in Australia in 2018, ZeroTech International Pty Ltd, a subsidiary company of the largest optical supplier in the southern hemisphere along with our in-house team of optical and mechanical engineers design, test and deliver products that are built to our highest Australian standards before exporting.

KHNC

WKR
Right^^ There isnt anything to discuss really. Eval is incomplete. I did see a cont'd on original post.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Who makes Zero Tech scopes?
Founded in Australia in 2018, ZeroTech International Pty Ltd, a subsidiary company of the largest optical supplier in the southern hemisphere along with our in-house team of optical and mechanical engineers design, test and deliver products that are built to our highest Australian standards before exporting.

This one is Japanese made.

@intunegp and @KHNC

It’s coming.

Tom-D

FNG
Dam i was really hoping these might be good as there sold everywhere here in Aus.

freddyG

WKR
What is the purpose of testing at such a low ring cap torque(18 in/lb)? It seems like it would be a waste of ammo, since scopes sometimes slip.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What is the purpose of testing at such a low ring cap torque(18 in/lb)? It seems like it would be a waste of ammo, since scopes sometimes slip.

Because people and companies complained that 20 or 25in-lbs (the rings manufacturers spec) was breaking the scopes or causing issues. So they start at 18in-lbs and when they fail- because if I recall correctly all have lost zero at 18in-lbs, then they get tightened to ring spec.

Yes, it’s a waste of ammo, yes it stupid, but it removes another excuse people and companies have, and if readers pay attention, it shows why I mount the scopes the way I do.

freddyG

WKR
Because people and companies complained that 20 or 25in-lbs (the rings manufacturers spec) was breaking the scopes or causing issues. So they start at 18in-lbs and when they fail- because if I recall correctly all have lost zero at 18in-lbs, then they get tightened to ring spec.

Yes, it’s a waste of ammo, yes it stupid, but it removes another excuse people and companies have, and if readers pay attention, it shows why I mount the scopes the way I do.
That’s what I figured, but on the flip side, people complain their favorite scope(looking at you ZCO), is being treated unfairly, while throwing out the bias card. It takes time to do these tests, and this whining occurs while waiting for updated testing, in which the scope doesn’t slip in the rings.

It’s very obvious what ring cap torque eliminates slip, so going straight to what works, would eliminate a lot if BS in my opinion. Yes, some manufacturers will whine, but that’s on them for using paper thin scope tubes. Those scopes with thin tubes, don’t have a chance of passing any legitimate test anyway.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That’s what I figured, but on the flip side, people complain their favorite scope(looking at you ZCO), is being treated unfairly, while throwing out the bias card. It takes time to do these tests, and this whining occurs while waiting for updated testing, in which the scope doesn’t slip in the rings.

Yes. But, the ZCO I am less worried about as their rings were used, and quite frankly it’s on them. It does need to be completed and when I get the rings I’ll do the eval again. That scope just hasn’t been the priority lately.

It’s very obvious what ring cap torque eliminates slip, so going straight to what works, would eliminate a lot if BS in my opinion. Yes, some manufacturers will whine, but that’s on them for using paper thin scope tubes. Those scopes with thin tubes, don’t have a chance of passing any legitimate test anyway.

Correct. The real answer is I could zero the scope, drop it from 36” and if it loses zero be done with it- they don’t magically start working. But, that would be going off just a “trust me” that the intail eval proves out scope issues, and people don’t believe that scopes lose zero from just driving around in a vehicle, so we are trying to show what happens good or bad, from nothing but deliberate light use.