Q&A Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40mm

atmat

WKR
If you were in the situation you had one of these and wanted to swap t another scope for about the same price point scope, what would the recommendation be? SWFA 2.5-10 or something else?
I think it depends on your price point and what features you’re wanting. But generally, SWFA, NF, S&B, and Trijicon are all thought well of on this forum.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I think it depends on your price point and what features you’re wanting. But generally, SWFA, NF, S&B, and Trijicon are all thought well of on this forum.
Same price point, I don't need it to dial as 99% of shooting is under 250 yards, and most of my shooting is at first or last light in the woods or swamp where it is technically shooting hours but darker from canopy cover.

These asks are honestly why Vortex and Leupold probably sell well. We don't ask much of our scopes in the midwest so those shots that would have missed a deer at 400 yards don't even happen so we are none the wiser.

atmat

WKR
Same price point, I don't need it to dial as 99% of shooting is under 250 yards, and most of my shooting is at first or last light in the woods or swamp where it is technically shooting hours but darker from canopy cover.

These asks are honestly why Vortex and Leupold probably sell well. We don't ask much of our scopes in the midwest so those shots that would have missed a deer at 400 yards don't even happen so we are none the wiser.
SWFAs 6x can be had used for <$250 and are plenty adequate out to waaaay further than 250 yards. Or the 3-9 has better glass if you need it.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Agree with people being surprised at their own lack of awareness of their own actual results. But I think its the norm for people to not keep targets. No one I know keeps targets except the few who are REALLY into shooting. I dont keep targets, I keep notes.

Would it be easy for anyone to conduct a running zero check on the same target starting now to “put their money where their mouth is”? Something like: zero the gun at 100 yards and shoot a 10 round group, and keep the target. On the same sheet of paper paste or draw 2 circles just larger than the first group—I would go so far as to say the circles could be 1/2” larger diameter (1/4” per side) than the initial 10-round proof group to allow up to 1 moa-scope click (.25moa) allowance in any direction. Without touching turrets for any reason—no re-zeroing, this is a zero CHECK— on your next range session on a different day shoot one 5 round group at circle 2. Then next shooting day another 5 round group—again without re-zeroing—at the last clean circle. Thats 3 targets on 3 different days, a “proof” and 2 tests, that can realistically be done at any rifle range, on one 8 1/2 x 11” sheet of paper, with 1 box of ammo, that would show a scope holds the absolute most-basic zero under very light handling and travel to/from the range. Info including transport distance and conditions, if rifle was cleaned between groups, time between targets, etc. then you post your completed target and info. Any shot landing outside a circle is a FAIL, that scope did not hold even a loose zero under cupcake conditions (i.e. no drops or bumps, small group sizes, built-in allowance, etc).

It’s really not challenging at all, but I call it the “leupold zero challenge”. 😁
I’m betting many wont pass. But I’d love to be proven wrong.

The problem with this^^ is it doesnt compare to a proof group from a known-good scope, so if scope error is captured in the initial proof group, but there is a similar amount of error in each group, it wont show up and a bad scope could pass. If anyone has a better way to easily show this throw it out there.

Yes you could do that. What I really meant is take a picture. I’m not always shooting the same target in these evals, however it’s plain to tell if the rounds are within the expected cone size and location.

The easiest way is to shoot a 20-30 round group. Measure the extreme spread, then get a roll of dot targets- like the orange ones I’m using, that match the total group size. Say the initial group is 1.6 inches at 100 yards. Just get the 1.5” dots. Make a zero adjustment based of the center of that initial 20-30 round group. Then each time you go to the range, shoot 3-5 shots minimum at one of those 1.5” dots. It will quickly be apparent if the rifle systems zero is moving.
It’s easiest if the target matches the rifles cone, but they could be anything.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Is it the same story with the fixed FX-series and M8's too?

The older fixed powers are better. That’s actually what I would look at for someone that is shooting deer at sun 200 yards and is on a budget that never wants to dial at all.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
If you were in the situation you had one of these and wanted to swap t another scope for about the same price point scope, what would the recommendation be? SWFA 2.5-10 or something else?

If you never want to dial at all, there isn’t much. The Trijicon Credo, Accupowers, etc have historically been pretty solid normal scopes- they aren’t bombproof, or at least the older ones aren’t, but they generally work correctly. Fixed power S&B Klassiks can sometimes be found for around $500. Otherwise the fixed power SWFA 6x’s with MQ reticle. The SWFA UL 2.5-10x is a specialty optic and I am not sure most would be happy with it.

wildcat33

WKR
Its funny to think back on the massive amount of ammo I wasted chasing zero on leupold (and swaro) scopes. All the time thinking "I just need to do my part!" and those fliers would tighten up.

Then put a reliable scope on and stopped dealing with that nonsense.

Last edited:
Didn't waste my time reading the complete thread on bashing the Leupold's, I have shot Leupold's going on 50 some years never had one bit of trouble with them, and they have seen some hard use they all zeroed without tapping or over adjusting and turning them back. A lot of times I wonder about the testers and the companies who send them scopes and other gear to do this exact same thing, hell someone sends me a rifle, scope or other gear and says test this out I would give a favorable report also, in hopes of getting more gear and perhaps some money or a free hunting trip to boot. I am a hunter I use field proven gear that works for me, not a I got to have the newest wiz bang gear junkie. Old school is the best school in my journeys.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Didn't waste my time reading the complete thread on bashing the Leupold's, I have shot Leupold's going on 50 some years never had one bit of trouble with them, and they have seen some hard use they all zeroed without tapping or over adjusting and turning them back. A lot of times I wonder about the testers and the companies who send them scopes and other gear to do this exact same thing, hell someone sends me a rifle, scope or other gear and says test this out I would give a favorable report also, in hopes of getting more gear and perhaps some money or a free hunting trip to boot. I am a hunter I use field proven gear that works for me, not a I got to have the newest wiz bang gear junkie. Old school is the best school in my journeys.
You can never be “certain” on the internet with strangers, but what you are describing seems to be the exact opposite of what’s happening in these evaluations in my opinion.

Congratulations,
You my friend will get a 🏆 for the dumbest comment I have read in quite some time!

fwafwow

WKR
Congratulations,
You my friend will get a 🏆 for the dumbest comment I have read in quite some time!
Is there a
Elmer Fudd Hunting Emoticon
trophy?

manitou1

WKR
I trust Forms opinions/results and am not a fanboy of any scope.

My two go-to rifles for Western hunts were wearing a Leupold VX3hd and Leupold VX5 hd. I used them for their weight, ease of carry and shootability.

Before moving West, I traveled about 1K miles each way to hunt WY. I would cover another 1500 miles while hunting. Hunted daylight to dark most days.
Killed about thirty animals with those two rifles wearing Leupolds. Only seven of the harvests were under 300 yards IIRC. Most were dialed including several shots beyond five and six hundred yards.

I feel lucky... really, I do. I check zero every season before the hunt and shoot periodically throughout the year and have never had to re zero either scope.

I have heavier scopes on heavier guns (customs), but often reach for one of the two wearing the Leupies due to weight and carry. Some day I need to take the time to replace the optics I suppose.

BjornF16

WKR
My two go-to rifles for Western hunts were wearing a Leupold VX3hd and Leupold VX5 hd. I used them for their weight, ease of carry and shootability.

Before moving West, I traveled about 1K miles each way to hunt WY. I would cover another 1500 miles while hunting. Hunted daylight to dark most days.
Killed about thirty animals with those two rifles wearing Leupolds. Only seven of the harvests were under 300 yards IIRC. Most were dialed including several shots beyond five and six hundred yards.

I feel lucky... really, I do. I check zero every season before the hunt and shoot periodically throughout the year and have never had to re zero either scope.
You've shot the same lot of ammo (or bullets and powder) over those years?...

You can never be “certain” on the internet with strangers, but what you are describing seems to be the exact opposite of what’s happening in these evaluations in my opinion.
Perhaps, we all see things from different perspectives. Let me know when you get the trophy ready, I can send you my address.