Q&A Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40mm

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
There’s an astronomical amount of forgiveness in shooting a whitetail at 50 yards with a high powered rifle. And yet, most of America’s deer camps are filled with stories of “clean misses” and cut shirt tails.

Hmmmm.

That is correct. I am not saying that someone is lying when they say “it’s worked for me” (which is usually followed to using that as evidence that my results are false)…. I’m sure it has. I also have never met someone that says that, that actually tracks their zero and does accept anything being abnormal.

Probably 20 people have argued with me about this subject, a few from this board, that have then went and copied what I do with checking zero, and every one of them has seen similar results as I have the moment they start tracking it.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I’ve rode mine in trucks, airplanes, and 4-wheelers for years and haven’t had mine move any. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ok. Similar to what I am doing in these scope eval threads- can you show your initial zero target with 5-10 rounds directly on your aiming point, and then show the same scope/rifle consecutively afterwards when you checked zero over time with no adjustments made between?

N2TRKYS

WKR
Ok. Similar to what I am doing in these scope eval threads- can you show your initial zero target with 5-10 rounds directly on your aiming point, and then show the same scope/rifle consecutively afterwards when you checked zero over time with no adjustments made between?
No, because I don’t save that stuff. I just know that I never have to touch my scopes, unless I change loads.

Heck, I drove from AL to WY this past October for a mule deer hunt. Checked it when I got there, didn’t have to adjust. My rifle made several trips for several miles on my back while on my 4-wheeler before I killed my buck. Shot my buck 3 times off hand at 100 yards. First shot, he was standing still broadside. Next 2 shots he was running. During the skinning process I found 3 holes in him. Each one would have killed him.

Drove home from WY and checked my rifle before our rifle season opened and it was still on. 🤷🏼‍♂️

venado mula

Lil-Rokslider
Ok. Can you show your initial zero target with 5-10 rounds directly on your aiming point, and then show the same scope/rifle consecutively afterwards when you checked zero?
I don't understand the scope issues. I buy one online, I mount it properly, I sight it in, I check it before I go hunting, I beat the sh*t out of it, it goes back into hibernation until the next hunt, I recheck it before every hunt like you should, it's always zeroed, never moves off zero. I feel the scope debacle is from operator error.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I don't understand the scope issues. I buy one online, I mount it properly, I sight it in, I check it before I go hunting, I beat the sh*t out of it, it goes back into hibernation until the next hunt, I recheck it before every hunt like you should, it's always zeroed, never moves off zero. I feel the scope debacle is from operator error.

As I stated to @ChrisAU. It’s always the same.

That is correct. I am not saying that someone is lying when they say “it’s worked for me” (which is usually followed to using that as evidence that my results are false)…. I’m sure it has. I also have never met someone that says that, that actually tracks their zero and does accept anything being abnormal.

Probably 20 people have argued with me about this subject, a few from this board, that have then went and copied what I do with checking zero, and every one of them has seen similar results as I have the moment they start tracking it.

BjornF16

WKR
No joke, I was on a local forum, and this was the topic of a thread in the optics section there. A whole article about how scopes needed to be clicked/adjusted past zero, and then clicked backwards onto zero. That way everything will settle in. Then, give it few taps with a leatherman or something to make sure everything was good to go.

And most of the replies were in agreement and giving hot tips about how this was the way to go...

Edit: Found it.

2nd Edit: Full disclosure: I was one of these guys. Leupold all the way, because "Warranty." I sent a bunch of friends on the Gold Ring path, because you don't know what you don't know. I'm far from an expert, but I have to say that having gear that works is a relief, and a lot easier on the wallet.
yup...I was taught this...lol

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I don't understand the scope issues. I buy one online, I mount it properly, I sight it in, I check it before I go hunting, I beat the sh*t out of it, it goes back into hibernation until the next hunt, I recheck it before every hunt like you should, it's always zeroed, never moves off zero. I feel the scope debacle is from operator error or retardation.
What scope are you referring to here? VX-3?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Has anybody spouting anecdotal evidence ever been able to provide any of this data to show they have one that works?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Has anybody spouting anecdotal evidence ever been able to provide any of this data to show they have one that works?

No. I haven’t met anyone. As I wrote earlier, about 20 people have actually tried doing what I do- all of them very quickly realized that they aren’t holding zero. When a rifle shoots 10-20 round groups of sub 1.5 MOA, and those groups are centered on a 1.5” dot, when a round hits out of the dot something happened. People just ignore shots they don’t like as “fliers”.