Q&A for Leupold Mark 5 Field Evals

the new guy kinda botched his quote, but if you expand it you'll see that his Mark 5 crapped out and lost zero during a hunt, costing him a bull.

BjornF16

WKR
@ccox8 said: "That's funny because I had my VX5-HD crap out on me this year. Temps were in the mid to upper teens and lots of snow, elevation did not adjust correctly and cost me a good bull. Checked it back at camp and the zero had shifted by nearly 9" high. Once something like that happens I lose trust in that gear and it's hard to ever use again."

Maybe can see it here better ^^^

I am impatiently waiting for leupold to redesign this scope with reliability in mind, if they were in that short list of scopes that worked, I would have them on every rifle.

I really like this scope, but I am not spending 2k on a scope that doesn’t pass this eval…
Roosie:

I feel exactly the same. If the Mk5 were decent I'd have a pile of them. Eventhough they've let me down a few times, I'm still pulling for Leupold to get the ship righted.

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
The MK5 may well be my favorite scope. Prefer the PR2 reticle over almost anything.

Love the size, turrets, and overall construction. Glass quality imo is superior to the NX8 which is the comparable NF

I’ve gone back and forth many times on the MK5 as many PRS guys use and love them. Rokslide seems to be the forum where the get the most hate, mostly because of the drop eval. They get a lot of love most other places. I would like to see this same test done on 3-4 other mk5s. Mainly the 5-25 and 7-35

The MK5 may well be my favorite scope. Prefer the PR2 reticle over almost anything.

Love the size, turrets, and overall construction. Glass quality imo is superior to the NX8 which is the comparable NF

I’ve gone back and forth many times on the MK5 as many PRS guys use and love them. Rokslide seems to be the forum where the get the most hate, mostly because of the drop eval. They get a lot of love most other places. I would like to see this same test done on 3-4 other mk5s. Mainly the 5-25 and 7-35
I have never wanted a scope to pass so bad.

Yep. I have a 3-18 that I absolutely love. Makes me want to do my own drop test and see if mine sucks too. Read other posts on other forums and some folks swear by the scope.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Find anyone that will shoot a 10+ round group into a dot, drop their rifle with Mark 5 from 3 feet, than shoot another group. Thats the difference- the people raving won’t check their scope.

Dobermann

WKR

We/you probably only the test to be on one MK5 - yours.

As per Form's simple method above.

Easy.

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Find anyone that will shoot a 10+ round group into a dot, drop their rifle with Mark 5 from 3 feet, than shoot another group. Thats the difference- the people raving won’t check their scope.
I’ll go do it on my 7-35 tomorrow and report back.

But what happens if it holds zero? Mine is the exception and yours is the standard or visa versa?

What I’m getting at is I don’t think any amount of successful drops would change your mind.

To me, I feel like there’s something else other than the drop test? Maybe the whole shenanigans with them not sending Ryan another scope when his had issues? I’m not sure

But one thing is for sure, you pose this question anywhere other than rokslide and you’ll get a different overall response on the mk5’s.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ll go do it on my 7-35 tomorrow and report back.

But what happens if it holds zero? Mine is the exception and yours is the standard or visa versa?

Do the full drop eval- it’s stickied at the top of this forum. If it passes we will pay your travel to come and bring that rifle and scope and do it live on camera. If it passes I’ll buy you a brand new one. If it fails, then it’s on you, and you come back and say so.

What I’m getting at is I don’t think any amount of successful drops would change your mind.

It isn’t about “changing” a mind. No one wants Leupold to build better scopes than I do.

To me, I feel like there’s something else other than the drop test? Maybe the whole shenanigans with them not sending Ryan another scope when his had issues? I’m not sure

So this you can stop right here. There is zero bullshit going on. Leupold asked to speak about it, then when told “no problem, let’s get on a call” they magically didn’t want to anymore. Further Leupold has been offered several times to meet on a range and witness it first hand- they want no part of actually showing up and shooting.

Beyond that- the best overall spotter on the market to me is the Leupold Mark 4. Leupold
Back Country 1pc rings and bases are the best version of those on the market. Some of the most durable scopes ever made are fixed power Leupold Mark 4’s. So how exactly is their “something else going on” when I am stating Leupold make some products, and used to make some products, that are excellent overall?

But one thing is for sure, you pose this question anywhere other than rokslide and you’ll get a different overall response on the mk5’s.

Thats not true. There are plenty of broken or failed Mark 5’s posted about. The Mark 5 is the best variable power scope Leupold has ever made…. And it still has issues.

Posing a question means nothing- NO ONE ELSE IS TESTING ZERO RETENTION. That is why people “think” things. They don’t know them because they aren’t checking.

You have the item in your hand- go do the drop eval. Film it, take pictures whatever- exactly how it is done is stickied.

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Also along these same lines.

The ZCO didn’t pass.

It was pointed out that there was maybe mounting issues but nothing was ever done to do a reevaluation and the review still stands that a ZCO doesn’t pass the “drop test”.

So yeah all a little interesting.
@Bwhntr So how'd it go?
i already answered this in the other thread but had to play stay at home dad today. Going out his weekend and gonna drop mine. I’ll keep you all posted don’t you worry 😏