Putting Freeze Dried Meals in Ziplocs?

With those mylar bags or really even the commercial freeze dried I just put my bags under my puffy or maybe gently in my pack. They've always been hot when ready to eat.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve been rehydrating in quart ziplock freezer bags for well over a decade. They are about the only name brand thing I will buy over a generic or store brand. I’ll pay the extra $0.50

Harvey_NW

WKR
Have you guys ever had issues with getting holes in the ziplock bags? I’ve been thinking of doing this in either ziplocks or vac sealed bags.
I'll be using vac seal bags this year, way easier to burn down in bear country.

coleman

Lil-Rokslider
No but I do take a couple extra bags just in case.
Yea I put each days food in its own ziplock so I’d have extras there if needed. Last batch of vac seal bags were too thin and would puncture too easily. I’ll have to look for some thicker ones.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I have some reflectex insulation in the garage, might have to try to make my own bag. Maybe try the ziplock bags to save some weight too as every ounce counts.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I've used these (various sizes) for homemade boil in bag and dehydrated meals. Also use them to package my pepperoni and jerky. Worked great for me, never had a puncture. Only downside is they may be a bit heavier then other options

I break my meals down into ziplocks and haven’t had an issue. I do use the hyperlite reheat bag. The issue I had with that is it doesn’t stand up, not a big deal but if I want to set my food down I need to prop it up. My brother cleaned out one of the original meal bags to put the ziplock bag into to reheat. Bag stood up and could zip closed. When not used could be rolled up and packed away, and it’s wasn’t an additional cost.

As far as leaking goes I noticed freeze dried broccoli had sharp edges which did poke a couple of holes into to the ziplock bag. Only had it happen twice.

I like breaking them down for a lot of the reasons already mentioned, space, smaller serving size, overall space savings, and I can add any spices I want to them when breaking them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be a lone soldier here, but I just eat straight out of the Jetboil/Ti cup.

Boil the water. Dump the contents in and eat. It retains plenty of heat. I’ve never had an issue with my coffee tasting like spaghetti the next day (or vice versa) and I don’t have extra things to bring with me (cozy, spare bags, etc.).

I saw a guy in ski patrol hut do this once at the top of a mountain and thought it was genius.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I could be a lone soldier here, but I just eat straight out of the Jetboil/Ti cup.

Boil the water. Dump the contents in and eat. It retains plenty of heat. I’ve never had an issue with my coffee tasting like spaghetti the next day (or vice versa) and I don’t have extra things to bring with me (cozy, spare bags, etc.).

I saw a guy in ski patrol hut do this once at the top of a mountain and thought it was genius.
*My OCD while reading this*
wtf.gif

Like several above, I repackage all mine in quart Ziploc bags and ditch the oxygen absorbing packets. Saves an ounce per meal and packs down to half the size. That's an easy half pound savings for a week long hunt at basically no cost.

Once I pour the hot water in, I put the Ziplock in my beanie and put it inside my puffy. I've tried the Koozie's in the past and just didn't notice any difference with them and it's just one more thing to carry. Never had a leak doing it this way.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
At least a decade doing it—saves a little weight by repackaging, but more importantly for me, saves volume.

As you mention, being able to customize the amount of meal is yet another plus.

The cozy does help keep heat in, but I found it also makes it much easier to eat of—hanging onto a very hot ziplock isn't very pleasant (at all).

TaperPin

WKR
I also like to put everything in ziploc baggies, but don’t let them sit for more than a week or two - after a month I can smell and taste something that off gasses a plastic flavor of some kind.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Agreed; mine stay in the manufacturer bags right up to the time I need them. Occasionally a trip is cut short and I have to bring home a few meals—I try to use those ones as soon as possible.

TheAri

Lil-Rokslider

I also reheat straight out of my Ti 700ml pot, cleanup is easy and no messy food bags left over is nice too