Pup progression

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
View attachment 432626View attachment 432627View attachment 432628
Lots more where that came from … Not everybody on the internet is full of shit. Those are all wild birds…all shot over my dogs point. All retrieved by my dog. All genetics, just general obedience training. I still think it is hilarious that people think they need to train a dog to do what it was bred to do. Just my opinion, you guys keep paying those professional trainers.
I don't hunt ditch parrots and a dog that's good at ditch parrots isn't necessarily a great chukar or quail dog as it's the difference between hunting whitetails and mule deer.

Last edited:
I don't hunt ditch parrots and a dog that's good at ditch parrots isn't necessarily a great chukar or quail dog as it's the difference between hunting whitetails and mule deer.
Lol - its different for you and I, but not the dog. A bird is a bird to them. Mine does it all, I got pictures of chukars and quail as well. You ever hunted chukars on horseback? Thats a trip. A dog with good genetics will hunt anything. Its what my dog was bred to do. Quit being a control freak and let your dog hunt - thats all I am saying. General obedience is all you should need. I use him for fur as well.

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
Lol - its different for you and I, but not the dog. A bird is a bird to them. Mine does it all, I got pictures of chukars and quail as well. You ever hunted chukars on horseback? Thats a trip. A dog with good genetics will hunt anything. Its what my dog was bred to do. Quit being a control freak and let your dog hunt - thats all I am saying. General obedience is all you should need. I use him for fur as well.

I get it, you have a 10" dick and a dog that does algebra like everyone else on the internet..

I get it, you have a 10" dick and a dog that does algebra.
Only one of those is true. Is this a good time to plug my onlyfans account? My dog hunts, most hunting dogs will. Its the owners who screw them up trying to “train” them to hunt.

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
Only one of those is true. Is this a good time to plug my onlyfans account? My dog hunts, most hunting dogs will. Its the owners who screw them up trying to “train” them to hunt.

Hence why I reached out to a pro..

You're not very good at reading comprehension.

KurtR

WKR
So your telling me a dog can just go out and run a 300 yard blind on a goose that sailed across the corn field that they did not see with just obedience training?

Reactions: WRO
So your telling me a dog can just go out and run a 300 yard blind on a goose that sailed across the corn field that they did not see with just obedience training?
I don’t hunt waterfowl. If you are asking if my dog will do a bind retrieve the answer is yes. That was just from basic obedience training and playing fetch with lax balls in the park. I did a mild form of force fetching when he turned 6 months, thats it.

Hence why I reached out to a pro..

You're not very good at reading comprehension.
I am saying the pro is a waste of money. Just let your dog do what it is bred to do. The only way you will screw it up is if you try and teach a dog to do something it already knows how to do instinctively - this includes pros. Unless you bought a dog with with bad genetics that has no drive or pointer that won’t point, you can’t train drive, and while you can train a dog to point, it will never be as good as a pointer that points instinctively.

I am from Idaho - Poky. You tell me when we are chasing chukars or quail and I’ll be there. We’ll see how a professionally trained dog runs against my GSP :) It will be fun. PM me.

KurtR

WKR
I don’t hunt waterfowl. If you are asking if my dog will do a bind retrieve the answer is yes. That was just from basic obedience training and playing fetch with lax balls in the park. I did a mild form of force fetching when he turned 6 months, thats it.
So your dog runs blinds just from throwing a ball in the park? I dont for one second believe that dog will cast over a couple hundred yards to a spot you are sending them. If it does you have a dog that is better than any dog in the history of dogs. I will drive long distances to see a dog that can do this to learn the secret as i would bet every field trial trainer in the usa that trains retrievers would. It might run in a general direction and hunt around till it winds something and it picks it up thats not running a blind.

So your dog runs blinds just from throwing a ball in the park? I dont for one second believe that dog will cast over a couple hundred yards to a spot you are sending them. If it does you have a dog that is better than any dog in the history of dogs. I will drive long distances to see a dog that can do this to learn the secret as i would bet every field trial trainer in the usa that trains retrievers would. It might run in a general direction and hunt around till it winds something and it picks it up thats not running a blind.
I know nothing about field trials. I hunt with guys who are into that. I think its a fun hobby, but doesn’t make a dog a better hunter. I know I can send my dog in a direction on a retrieve and he knows he better not come back until he has a bird in his mouth unless I release him from the retrieve. We kill birds dude, I don’t give a shit about field trials…lol

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
I am saying the pro is a waste of money. Just let your dog do what it is bred to do. The only way you will screw it up is if you try and teach a dog to do something it already knows how to do instinctively - this includes pros. Unless you bought a dog with with bad genetics that has no drive or pointer that won’t point, you can’t train drive, and while you can train a dog to point, it will never be as good as a pointer that points instinctively.

I am from Idaho - Poky. You tell me when we are chasing chukars or quail and I’ll be there. We’ll see how a professionally trained dog runs against my GSP :) It will be fun. PM me.

Oh fun, a dick measuring contest, I'll be washing my hair that day.

I don't give a shit if your dogs have been to space, solve world hunger, and fix global warming. I have expectations for my dogs that are different than your expectations for your dogs and that's okay amazingly enough. You are entitled to your opinion and expectations, mine are different. The vast majority of dog owners struggle with not knowing what to do and doing it wrong. I like dogs with a lot of drive, as such that means that they need to be reigned in. I want a dog to hold point until I get there, back, not break at the flush, etc. I don't want it to creep, and if I don't kill a lot of birds some days but my dogs do great.. I'm happy with that.

Youtube and other training information venues are a shit show, so yeah I reached out to a professional and learned a way that works for me.

Last edited:
Oh fun, a dick measuring contest, I'll be washing my hair that day.

I don't give a shit if your dogs have been to space, solve world hunger, and fix global warming. I have expectations for my dogs that are different than your expectations for your dogs and that's okay amazingly enough. You are entitled to your opinion and expectations, mine are different. The vast majority of dog owners struggle with not knowing what to do and doing it wrong. I like dogs with a lot of drive, as such that means that they need to be reigned in. I want a dog to hold point until I get there, back, not break at the flush, etc. I don't want it to creep, and if I don't kill a lot of birds some days but my dogs do great.. I'm happy with that.

Youtube and other training information venues are a shit show, so yeah I reached out to a professional and learned a way that works for me.
You really don’t know if it works for you or not yet tho, right? Good luck! Nothing wrong with hearing different perspectives is there? And when you lose control of yiur dog, maybe this will give you something to think about instead of continually sending your dog in for tune ups to your pro trainer every year. You are the one who posted on a public forum…you get what you pay for.

Its funny, you assume my dog doesn’t hold points because it wasn’t professionally trained. That is what pointers were bred for. Point game until somebody flushes and kills it. If your dog wasn’t holding points, it wasn’t a training issue, its a genetics issue, which means it will be something you constantly have to battle.

you can reach me at [email protected] if you change your mind and want to chase birds in idaho. You never know, maybe your dog will hunt circles around mine.

KurtR

WKR
I know nothing about field trials. I hunt with guys who are into that. I think its a fun hobby, but doesn’t make a dog a better hunter. I know I can send my dog in a direction on a retrieve and he knows he better not come back until he has a bird in his mouth unless I release him from the retrieve. We kill birds dude, I don’t give a shit about field trials…lol
You wrong they do make them a better hunter. If killing is your standard mine is way different. Running a blind is not sending your dog in a direction. You need to be in control of them the whole time and when a bird sails 200 and dies no way the dog has any idea what it’s doing other than running around hunting and stumbles on the bird. I’m not a pointer guy but watching the well trained ones is a beautiful thing.

You wrong they do make them a better hunter. If killing is your standard mine is way different. Running a blind is not sending your dog in a direction. You need to be in control of them the whole time and when a bird sails 200 and dies no way the dog has any idea what it’s doing other than running around hunting and stumbles on the bird. I’m not a pointer guy but watching the well trained ones is a beautiful thing.
Dude…I was wrong once, it was a couple years ago, but it does happen. I’ll stand by my statement that field trials dont make a dog a better hunting dog. Sounds like you are a field trial guy. I just can’t remember losing a bird in the last 5 years with my dog. Some really long, several hundred yard retrieves too. Where you shoot a pheasant and that sucker locks up and glides forever. I send him and he brings back a bird. Force fetching is pretty awesome if you do it right. The red lacross ball is pretty amazing. They can’t differentiate between that and grass so they have to use their nose to find it - just a free pro tip :)

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
You really don’t know if it works for you or not yet tho, right? Good luck! Nothing wrong with hearing different perspectives is there? And when you lose control of yiur dog, maybe this will give you something to think about instead of continually sending your dog in for tune ups to your pro trainer every year. You are the one who posted on a public forum…you get what you pay for.

Its funny, you assume my dog doesn’t hold points because it wasn’t professionally trained. That is what pointers were bred for. Point game until somebody flushes and kills it. If your dog wasn’t holding points, it wasn’t a training issue, its a genetics issue, which means it will be something you constantly have to battle.

you can reach me at [email protected] if you change your mind and want to chase birds in idaho. You never know, maybe your dog will hunt circles around mine.

I've hunted Upland for the last 30 years off and on, I know what I want in a dog. I just purchased another couple for myself this year and last year.

Good dogs have the genetics, they just need refining.

I've hunted Upland for the last 30 years off and on, I know what I want in a dog. I just purchased another couple for myself this year and last year.

Good dogs have the genetics, they just need refining.
Great dogs have genetics that don’t need refining. Buy great dogs and enjoy hunting behind them, or buy good dogs and send them to a pro to train them how to hunt. Lots of different approaches.

I have never even heard of a “fly away” season. Is that where you take a pointer that doesnt point and let them flush birds?

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
Great dogs have genetics that don’t need refining. Buy great dogs and enjoy hunting behind them, or buy good dogs and send them to a pro to train them how to hunt. Lots of different approaches.

I have never even heard of a “fly away” season. Is that where you take a pointer that doesnt point and let them flush birds?

Okay, I'll let all my breeder and field trial buddies know their doing it all wrong. :rolleyes:

Fly away season a dogs first season where they figure stuff out.

KurtR

WKR
Dude…I was wrong once, it was a couple years ago, but it does happen. I’ll stand by my statement that field trials dont make a dog a better hunting dog. Sounds like you are a field trial guy. I just can’t remember losing a bird in the last 5 years with my dog. Some really long, several hundred yard retrieves too. Where you shoot a pheasant and that sucker locks up and glides forever. I send him and he brings back a bird. Force fetching is pretty awesome if you do it right. The red lacross ball is pretty amazing. They can’t differentiate between that and grass so they have to use their nose to find it - just a free pro tip :)
That’s called a mark when they sail and the dog sees it. Maybe field trails in pointers don’t help but in retrievers it does . I don’t run field trails just hunt test I’m not good enough handler to run with them yet. You show me a dog that can do a quad with the shortest mark being 250 yards and 2 retired guns with multiple water entry’s and exits that’s a dog that will hunt. Not many just hunting dogs can do that. Genetics only get you so far they need to be refined. Like force fetch with is the building blocks for all retriever training. I’ve killed pheasants with a pit bull and a pack of beagles their a pretty dumb bird and not hard to kill. I just go a mile from my house walk some trees and me and the kid have a limit usually after work need about a half hour.

Reactions: WRO
That’s called a mark when they sail and the dog sees it. Maybe field trails in pointers don’t help but in retrievers it does . I don’t run field trails just hunt test I’m not good enough handler to run with them yet. You show me a dog that can do a quad with the shortest mark being 250 yards and 2 retired guns with multiple water entry’s and exits that’s a dog that will hunt. Not many just hunting dogs can do that. Genetics only get you so far they need to be refined. Like force fetch with is the building blocks for all retriever training. I’ve killed pheasants with a pit bull and a pack of beagles their a pretty dumb bird and not hard to kill. I just go a mile from my house walk some trees and me and the kid have a limit usually after work need about a half hour.
What is it called when they sail and the dog doesn’t see it and you send them in the direction that it landed several hundred yards away and they bring it back? That is what my dog will do.

Last edited: