Pull behind camper?

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
It's crazy to even try to have this conversation without having an idea of your budget. Small, 2-3 large dogs and a step child? Do you envision boondocking (camping in places without water, sewer and power? If you'll let us know what you have found, that will help us understand what category you are looking at.
Step kid won’t be traveling with us except for rare occasion of spear fishing tournaments… he’s about to get his adult job in Louisiana.
Budget trying to be realistic at 25k; hopefully less.

3 dogs probably a realistic number . Each 70 ish lbs.

Not worried about sewer; because I have no intention to use. Old adage does a bear skit in the woods…. I cleaned enough dog kennels in my day I have no desire to mess with Human material be it mine or someone else’s.

Power scratching my head on that one. Not sure hook ups etc. need some guidance here

SwiftShot

WKR
It is the wind that kills you. My 23 foot camper hurt mt mileage more than my 26 foot boat. The boat weighs way more but its frint wnd cuts the wind. A RPod is not a bad option.

Step kid won’t be traveling with us except for rare occasion of spear fishing tournaments… he’s about to get his adult job in Louisiana.

Not worried about sewer; because I have no intention to use. Old adage does a bear skit in the woods…. I cleaned enough dog kennels in my day I have no desire to mess with Human material be it mine or someone else’s.

Power scratching my head on that one. Not sure hook ups etc. need some guidance here
I want to do my best to understand your intended use because that can be important in several ways.

Do you envision using campgrounds with all of the hook-ups like electrical, water and a place to drain your gray water and black water tanks. Or do you envision just finding a nice quiet place in nature to set it up without those hook-ups?

Here's where that gets important. The water tanks on most small campers are very small. So small that if two adults take regular showers for 2 days in a row, you'll be out of water. There are a few that have large fresh water tanks. That's something that you'll want to pay close attention to unless you intend to be at campgrounds with water hook-ups each night.

I'd strongly consider the bunkhouse model campers. The bottom bunk and underneath that bunk is a great place for the dogs to lounge and to keep their water and food. The top bunk makes for good storage or a place for a guest to crash.

You are going to get 10-12 MPG no matter which one you buy.Here are a couple in your price range that would likely serve you well. The Starcraft has the capacities and features that will serve you better if you anticipate regularly camping in places without all of the hook-ups.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
We have a 2015 Jayco 154bh Baja edition and I pull it with my 2017 taco (pulled it with a 2011 Nissan frontier before that). I’ve taken it to ID from CA many many times for elk hunting. It’s light at 2,600 dry so the weight isn’t a problem. However, it’s a big box and aerodynamics are not its strong point…that’s what kills your mileage. Works great for wife, one kid and I. Although I’ve thought about selling it and downsizing to a teardrop or rooftop tent. Travel trailers are nice but they are a PITA too…storage and gas mileage are my big complaints.

tony

WKR
RV blogger on YT and they have a web site. Great reviews of all brands.
He just did 3500 pound trailers.
camping/camper world or something like that, there’s another guy that documented his nightmare dealing with them and jayco. I’ll find his page.
I’ve got the same idea as you, me the old lady and a Doberman .

Those dogs I'm sure going to take up a lot of space. Do any sleep with you?

On the hookups; it really varies depending on area and type of campground.
I would say most campgrounds have electric and water hookup sites available.
Sewer hookups do may things easier but emptying a black tan is nowhere near the caliber of cleaning dog kennels.
For us (my wife) if camping in a warmer area in the summer, electric hookup to run the a/c is essential.
The more amenities the campgrounds have the less you have to pack and worry about. Like water (either in fillup holding tank or packing Jerry cans in the truck) and generator to run a/c and lights.

If you're insistent on keeping the Tacoma or wrangler and with three big dogs, I would really look hard into popups. There are some nice hsrdside models if you plan on camping in areas that require that.

The profile and size of popup idea for pulling with a midsized vehicle in my opinion. And if you're not in need of a camper with a toilet very few have them. No need to pay for something you're not going to use.

The amount of floor space and bed sizes(some have king size beds) in a popup are very nice for the package you're pulling.

I've worked in the RV industry 25 years. Have extremely low expectations. Bring a set of tools and find a sense of humor. You'll need them. With that said, RVs can be fun, towing with a Jeep is a nightmare. Been there and tried it. I now own a Chevrolet 2500HD. Wouldn't tow with anything smaller. I bought a 2001 Lance Truck Camper, and can now flat tow my Jeep behind the rig. Can't wait to get some scouting trips with it.

When buying something used, pay close attention to the corners inside and outside.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
I've worked in the RV industry 25 years. Have extremely low expectations. Bring a set of tools and find a sense of humor. You'll need them. With that said, RVs can be fun, towing with a Jeep is a nightmare. Been there and tried it. I now own a Chevrolet 2500HD. Wouldn't tow with anything smaller. I bought a 2001 Lance Truck Camper, and can now flat tow my Jeep behind the rig. Can't wait to get some scouting trips with it.

When buying something used, pay close attention to the corners inside and outside.
Thanks for all the advice guys.
2/3 dogs will be in bed with us. The chessie sleeps in the floor.
I do have a Dodge 2500 that’s my main hunting rig. It’s low miles and try and keep it that way for pulling the boat, having extra space , but she can’t drive stick , and there for can’t help with the driving .
We may talk about getting us an F150 or a dodge 1/2 ton. When we really sit down and put money on the table.

Yoder

WKR
Pop up campers aren't bad. I had a Flagstaff for a few years. I stayed in it from 10 to 100 degrees and was pretty comfortable. It had AC, heat and heated mattresses. I pulled mine with a 2000 Silverado extended cab with the 5.3 v8 and I almost couldn't tell I was pulling it.

wyosteve

WKR
I’d strongly suggest that whatever you get, go with tandem axles. Rides better, safer towing in the wind and extra safety if you blow a tire!

If you’re looking at something with tandem axles, just know that the unloaded weight for even the smallest ones is usually at 4500lbs or more. I’m with wyosteve, much better stability- if you lose a tire on a single axle you’re down.

Most single axle rigs are 3500lbs or less UVW, but won’t top out over 5K.

GoatPackr

Lil-Rokslider
When you really put the money on the table most often it doesn't save any money. You figure the increased fuel use, insurance, upkeep and for some storage, and then the cost of the RV (25k) . You can get a pretty nice AirBnB and be dang comfortable with less stress.
If you want to stop you won't be needing to worry about traffic or getting in and out of parking areas.
Those RV payments and possibly the new tow rig still need paid in the off season.
The prices of RV spots in a campground have gotten ridiculous in many areas. Often I seen prices at an AirBnB for near the same.

I've seriously considered buy an RV a few times as I grew up traveling to places and camping with them. Anymore I just can't talk myself into it.

Kris

Fatcamp

WKR
When you really put the money on the table most often it doesn't save any money. You figure the increased fuel use, insurance, upkeep and for some storage, and then the cost of the RV (25k) . You can get a pretty nice AirBnB and be dang comfortable with less stress.
If you want to stop you won't be needing to worry about traffic or getting in and out of parking areas.
Those RV payments and possibly the new tow rig still need paid in the off season.
The prices of RV spots in a campground have gotten ridiculous in many areas. Often I seen prices at an AirBnB for near the same.

I've seriously considered buy an RV a few times as I grew up traveling to places and camping with them. Anymore I just can't talk myself into it.

Kris

Ya, its not for everyone that's for sure.

Hotels and AirBnB have some serious downsides. I'm a member of travel nurse pages on Facebook and there are some pretty nasty stories out there told first hand in real time.

It's a part of our lives. Couldn't imagine not having one. Our bedding, dishes, space for our dogs, and the freedom to go where we want when we want make it a good thing for us.

Buzby

WKR
I love my popup. 10’ and low profile when towing, 20’ with a king and a queen bed when popped. Propane and electric heat, AC, 360° view with the curtains open. I paid $6k used. They’re all made cheap as hell though. $6k or $25k, it’ll be made with particle board and staples.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
Ya, its not for everyone that's for sure.

Hotels and AirBnB have some serious downsides. I'm a member of travel nurse pages on Facebook and there are some pretty nasty stories out there told first hand in real time.

It's a part of our lives. Couldn't imagine not having one. Our bedding, dishes, space for our dogs, and the freedom to go where we want when we want make it a good thing for us.
One of the underwater welding colleges we toured recommended a place for him to live . Kind of extended stay deals… Admissions recommended this place.

I’m OCD about where I stay … both RHSC and GF used to make fun of me for checking .… pulled back the mattress and fuggin loaded with bed bugs .. I’ve had some places that were questionable enough to warrant a different venue …. Just to be safe
But this was with out a doubt infested and ever since then we’ve talked about our own place .

Brooks

WKR
I’ve had campers for 20 years and to me $25,000 campers are about all the same. IMHO it’s the truck that counts. Little trips of a hundred miles or two is not a big deal but coast to coast or traveling all summer….a 3/4 or a 1 ton diesel is the right tool for the job ! Look around a camp ground and see what the older, been there done that crowd are pulling their campers with.

I keep kicking around the idea of a travel trailer but it seems it creates more issues than it solves for me.
Things like storing it and such. So I keep shelling out for hotel rooms. May be different for me as I am single no pets.

steeleb3

FNG
Me and girlfriend are seriously considering getting one. Getting to where I hate staying in hotels and we’re usually traveling some where once or twice a month be it spear fishing tournaments, vacations or soon to be traveling across country to bring the Redheaded step child home. We also like traveling with the dogs and hotels aren’t always accommodating especially with 2-3 large pooches.

I’m wanting the smallest model available to try and save some gas but that also has a shower . That’s my only real requirement.
We’re pulling with either a Tacoma or a jeep wrangler

I’ve found several that I think fit the bill but wanted some real world experience
I would have a look at tent trailers. You can find them used for very cheap, they're super light to tow and really handy. One thign we liked about them, is you could raise the tent about 1ft while loading and you could slide a bunch of your gear into the trailer (including coolers) and then drop the tent lid back down. Done, most of your gear tucked away. We've slept 6 guys in there on some trips, which is obviously cramped but do-able. For how cheap they are, you can do a bunch of custom modding to suit your needs. The key advice I'd have, is go to a thrift store, and buy sets of everything you need for your trip, that live in the trailer. So your trailer is self contained. This means, cookware, cutlery, sheets etc... that way its just throw your food and and your gone. If shopping used for tent trailers, the key things to look out for are: is the canvas in good shape, and is the pully system to raise the lid in good working order. Most if not all other things are easily maintained/fixed. Sidenote: we installed a little wood burning stove in ours, and have used it in the winter ice fishing down to -30C. you gotta keep the stove stoked, but it's plenty warm in there when it's goin.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
You sound a bit like us, so I'm going to chime in...

A small (24'-ish), fifth wheel, made prior to 2020, with maybe one slide out, set up for greywater only with a bumper hitch to pull your boat.

I've had popups, camper, & tent, travel with dogs, kids, & a boat. We dry camp.

A hardside is best if you can't take pets with you while you're out & about.
2020 models & newer have "Covid" issues.
Fifth wheel, 'cuz you can't pull a boat behind a bumperpull.

Wayyyyy better than a hotel or bnb. Or a tent. You could potentially start with a simple, older model, use it a bit, see what you like, don't like, & upgrade to newer/bigger/more luxe. If you don't abuse them, resale isn't horrible on not-brand-new, sturdy models.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425