Puffy - Wear Over or Under Primary Jacket?

Going on my first late season elk hunt (first elk hunt for that matter) this November. I've got a couple Merino base layers, Kuiu Peloton 240 and Kuiu Guide DCS jacket. I'm a MN dude. I sweat a lot when I move, even at -10 degrees ice fishing.

So I'm trying to figure out what to do for a puffy, especially for glassing. I'm having a hard time fathoming that I would need a puffy while hiking. I've got a Kuiu Kenai. But it fits snug. So when you stop to glass for a while, do you pull your main jacket off and put your puffy on and then your outer jacket? Or do you have a larger puffy that can go over your outer jacket for when you're glassing and sitting? I'm considering getting a Super Down that's bigger to wear over the top.

Thoughts and experiences?

NV HUNTER

WKR
Wear the Peloton when hiking. When glassing throw on guide jacket and puffy if needed.

I do both. I have used a puffy under my soft shell eastern whiteTail hunting. If works. It is quiet. You likely lose some loft so it isn’t ideal.

For what you describe, hi,e without it and put it on when you stop.

I think for what your describing i would go with over. Pull out for glassing over would work good but you might want to be able to wear it under your rain gear. Most puffys dont handle the rain and snow real good

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve done both, depends on how your body sweats and how your system works. A puffy over a kenai worked well for me ( base+kenai+down puffy + rain jacket if needed)

I didn’t like taking my guide jacket off to add a puffy under it. Adding a puffy over my guide was ok except snug and restrictive, more off a sizing issue.

The 240 would layer much better under the puffy.

Jardo

WKR
My puffy is an outer layer unless it’s wet and raining. Then rain gear is my outer layer over my puffy. I don’t ever hike in a puffy unless it’s 10 below and windy. My puffy stays in the pack and comes out when stopped for glassing or lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtnkid85

WKR
In order for a "puffy" to function it has to be able to loft and not be compressed by another layer squeezing it down. Put it on the outside of all your other layers.