Puffy vest

Jtenkink

FNG
Probably not as nice as either of these vests but for another option I’ve been amazed at the weight and performance of the Eddie Bauer down jackets and vests. I got a vest on clearance for like $20 last year and it’s been amazing, super warm and very packable. For the price, they are hard to beat.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
A question for you Gentleman which make use of these Vests.

I want to understand what are the reasons/motivators which sway the decision to NOT be getting a similar garment BUT with the sleeves on as well?

I'm just asking because for myself, when I really need warmth, it's when I'm electing to take a sit for an extended period. Whether that's glassing over an area, or remaining as motionless as possible on an ambush sit. (Also this one new med they have me on makes extremities have a tendency to get/feel cold more easily too.) So when I want/need warmth...my extremities are going to want the help first and foremost.

So I'm wondering, is it like... you like the absence of the sleeves because that makes the garment quieter to wear when working your way thru thick stuff? Since your arms aren't covered in that same material? Is that the deal?

Or... are you just a person who "runs hot" generally and a vest makes you less prone to wetting up with sweat underneath your layers? Is it something like that?

-G
For me a vest is a way to add warmth without bulk to my arms which are needed for tasks like drawing a bow. Also, my core gets colder than my arms.

TheGDog

WKR
For me a vest is a way to add warmth without bulk to my arms which are needed for tasks like drawing a bow. Also, my core gets colder than my arms.
Ah...ok... I'm gonna take a wild guess and figure you're more of a normal healthy weight? Possibly even on the trim side then?

Some of us are "naturally gifted" with a nice warm layer of protective insulation around our cores. Doh!

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Ah...ok... I'm gonna take a wild guess and figure you're more of a normal healthy weight? Possibly even on the trim side then?

Some of us are "naturally gifted" with a nice warm layer of protective insulation around our cores. Doh!
I am 6'6" 240LBS which sounds heavy, but I do not have a thick middle lol

TheGDog

WKR
I am 6'6" 240LBS which sounds heavy, but I do not have a thick middle lol
No..you are NOT..not at all. That's actually quite slim for someone of that height. These days with some more years on me (gonna be 53 here St Patrick's Day) I typically hover around 220Lbs at 5' 10". And I'd guesstimate I'm about 25-30 Lbs overweight. But.. I have a wide frame so it's not as bad as it would look on most people.

At my most lean around 35yo.. I got myself down to 185Lbs. But Whoo lawdy that was a 24/7 J-O-B to keep it in that range for me. 2+hrs workouts x 2 a day 5-6 days a week, and on the off day, some kind of outdoor athletic like MTB typically.

Far as I'm concerned it's a damn miracle I can remain at this weight as it is. Since I've worked from home for the last 20 years straight at a desk, coding. But I'm pretty good about eating mostly just food I've cooked for myself.

j33

WKR
Probably not as nice as either of these vests but for another option I’ve been amazed at the weight and performance of the Eddie Bauer down jackets and vests. I got a vest on clearance for like $20 last year and it’s been amazing, super warm and very packable. For the price, they are hard to beat.

I got the same one, 60% off clearance so like $20. 650 down, 8oz weight for a large not bad.
Nice not having to worry about tearing it up at that price

C.payne

WKR
I second what @SMOKYMTN mentioned.
I would take a hard look at the Outdoor Research Helium vest for another option.
I have the vest and the jacket. They are warm, light and the fabric seems to be more durable then most other puffy vests and jackets I have/had.
Plus OR frequently has sales on 25% off.

Don’t get me wrong. I love to support the hunting brands and have multiple pieces, but it’s always worth a look at some of the mountaineering brands.

OP
montei

montei

FNG
Thanks for the responses. That’s a good call on the Eddie Bauer vest. I haven’t one of their down jackets that I like. Didn’t even think about them for a vest, I will have to look into it.
I also have a kuiu kenai jacket that I love and maybe the vest is a good option as well.

tdvxrdob

FNG
I dont have either but I can vouch for the Eddie Bauer for the price. I also I have a Fahrenheit vest I picked up for a great price and am happy with it as well. The ws in the Sitka is great when a fleece isn't quite enough but a softshell is overkill.

I bought and returned the kelvin vest this November. Don’t believe it was any warmer than a cheap fleece vest but was more packable. For the money didn’t suit my needs.

Just ordered the Kiui down vest on sale but it looks like it might be a bit light on insulation compared to the FL brooks vest

Canceled the Kuiu order and bought this instead. TBD but looks like a much better value than the hunting brands. Wish I could get a lighter tone color tho.

Canceled the Kuiu order and bought this instead. TBD but looks like a much better value than the hunting brands. Wish I could get a lighter tone color tho.

The fit was a bit too tight for layering underneath for me but if they made a xxl I would replace it. This is a much better value than the hunting brand options.