Puffy Pants

Ok so I lucked into a $500 Stone Glacier gift card. I need a pack, I need puffy pants, and I could really use another down jacket. Current one is Brooks Down from FL. I’m going to Stone Glacier store this week to try on packs and see what to get. How are their Grumman pants and jacket? I’ll have already spent the gift card on the pack but figured might as grab a pair of puffy pants while im there - unless someone has a better recommendation? Are KUIU or FL warmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willtim

WKR
Kuiu has their Kenai pants on sale. I just bought a pair but unfortunately it is 75 degrees here in SC.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Forloh's Thermonuetral pants.
I've put these things through WY sage and MT willows and they look brand new. I've sat in 10 degrees and felt toasty. Plus full length zip AND full length to my ankles. My favorite piece of Forloh gear.

If your going to the store at least try them on and figure out your size. I wish I would have sized up one size on my pants. They work but are a little tight. I don’t have anything to compare them to so no help that way but I do like both the grunmnan pants and jacket.

Jbehredt

WKR
My Grumman pants constantly lost feathers. The jacket is fine but the pants were disappointing.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Puffy pants are possibly my favorite piece of gear. Changed my life for late season hunts. That said, I find myself wearing them all day if I’m not doing a ton of hiking. Durability is a major consideration for me, right up there with warmth and pack ability.

Pro tip…make sure you wear your gaiters over them. It helps with durability!

Look at feathered friends Helios pants, get a lot more quality for your money. They don’t pack down like the Grumman or Kuiu ultras but insanely warm.

OP
A
Awesome! Some good recommendations in here I appreciate it.

Go 100% custom in absolutely every way, and 100% hand made in the USA. I’ve had several pairs of commercial brand puffy pants, and none even begin to compare to GooseFeet Gear. Surprisingly enough, depending on exactly what you get, they’re about the same price of the more expensive commercial down brands i.e., Stone Glacier, Kuiu, etc.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member

Bang for the buck (can almost always be had for 20% off somewhere online), zip on/off with reinforced knees and butt sections. They could be more compressible, if I had a complaint.

OP
A
Go 100% custom in absolutely every way, and 100% hand made in the USA. I’ve had several pairs of commercial brand puffy pants, and none even begin to compare to GooseFeet Gear. Surprisingly enough, depending on exactly what you get, they’re about the same price of the more expensive commercial down brands i.e., Stone Glacier, Kuiu, etc.

What makes GooseFeet so nice? Warmth? Weight? Durability? All?

What makes GooseFeet so nice? Warmth? Weight? Durability? All?

You name it. First off custom fit, like tailor made to fit you, made out of the fabric of your choice, stuffed with the amount (wt. in ounces),of goose down of your choice, baffle sewn or sewn through (I don’t believe any of the commercial manufacturers offer baffle construction, which is much warmer than sewn through), zippered legs, full length, 3/4 length, half length, no zipper, etc. Just custom in every way, plus they’re made in the USA (makes a difference to me), and for the most part they’re very comparably priced to many of the commercial brands, sometimes less, depending on what you order.

Reactions: wyo

Dented

WKR
AK is spot on.
I've got Rab pants, they're good. Not great but good.

And then I ordered some Kobuk pants from Nunatak. World of difference. And made exactly the way you want them.
I had extra layers of tougher material placed on the seat and knees. Overfill, full zippers for easier on/ off when I'm out wandering around. No taking off my boots to put them on.

I'll wear briar proof pants over them if outs really cold and I'm walking.

Buy once, cry once.

I have the Grumman jacket and it is fantastic. Packs down small and is very warm. My only gripe is that the shell is very thin like most puffy jackets. I haven't had any issues with it losing feathers.
I went with the first lite puffy pants. A little cheaper and I felt that the material will stand up to a little more wear and tear if I decide to move a short distance in them. Definitely wouldn't hike a long way in them either though.