Packable puffy pants for Whitetails

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got a pair of Rab synthetic pants. I layer them over sig for glassing,or under a shell for riding quads or sniwmobiles. Wear a shell with a light layer in, then put them under your shell for your sit. They're pretty quiet as is, reinforced seat and knees.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Dcr54682

FNG
I just bought the Kuiu down LT bottom on sale it’s light as a feather and packs to almost nothing. No tops in my size but I found a Patagonia lightweight down top that should be perfect for layering combo. A lot of 40% -50% off Patagonia sales and they have a dull olive green - maybe basin green that’s a good hunting solid color. Based on reviews your not going to want to walk through snags with it but for daily use and layer should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody ever use ecws level 7 pants? I snagged a deal on sitka kelvin down lite 3/4s to pack in and put on under my stratus bibs, but I'm considering grabbing a pair or the ecws and either only using the sitka for boosting my sleeping bag on cold nights elk hunting or wearing while glassing since they're a lot more money and I can't imagine they're more durable than the cheap ecws primaloft pants

Think the ecws would fit under bibs?

PBBananaHammock

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Lv 7 pants in a LWCG .5 hang on. Kind of difficult and bulky to put on in a little stand like that but it’s doable. They do lose loft fast if you pack them tight in a bag repeatedly. Still usable and great ROI for what they are. My biggest gripe is that they are noisy, so you have to be conscious of your arms/hands/bow coming in contact with them if you’re a sitter, or your thighs if you’re a stander. I wouldn’t put anything over them, you’ll compress the loft, and in my experience putting anything over a puffy layer just seems to make it louder to my ear, since the entire exterior fabric is now scratching on the puffy over a larger surface area.

It’s not a deal breaker, just a quirk to work around. If you’re moving your legs enough to make a lot of noise you’ll probably get busted visually anyway.

One option that’s great by itself or for layering is the M65 field pant liners. It’s a quilted batting so they don’t compress the same as a puffy if you layer over them. Their design intent is to be layered. The nylon is about the quietest smooth face synthetic material I’ve ever seen. I wish it was used more in other products.

I’ve found if you buy 2 pair of the M65 liners, sized long, you can double them up over your legs as a stand alone layer and I’ve found them to be just as warm as the lv 7 pants since they trap air between them. Even better if you get them in sequentially larger sizes (ie a small-long worn under a medium-long). Buttons down the side are easier to get on but can be drafty. No buttons is warmer. Best part is, virtually no noise and easy to slide on over boots/shoes. Also, the “fly” area of the liners is open so if you use a rock climbing harness as your safety system, the belay loop is accessible.

Both options are warmer if you stand since the loft in the thighs, knees, and butt won’t be compressed.