Public land hunting in VA and WVA

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
An older thread but I thought I would post anyway. Something is certainly wrong if you cannot find good hunting on the George and Jefferson National forests. They are approximately 1.8 Million acres. I have killed deer, bear, Turkey and Grouse on public property with bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle.

I only see other hunters when hunting certain game close to populated areas. But even then they usually are not hunting the same game as I am. The beauty of the mountains cannot be beaten and I have hunted the West coast, Northern Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, kansas and of course many trips to Canada.

I always end up back in Va and occasionally Wv. Patience and utilizing the internet. mapping software and boots on the ground will provide many hours of solitary hunting with good success. As stated in other posts game can be scarce mainly because they concentrate on certain areas. Takes a bit of work to find the hot spots. One observation is that many deer in remote locations grow to tremendous size. Good luck.