Public land hunting in VA and WVA

I live in the shenandoah Valley and my parents live near some national forest as do my in-laws. I have never hunted public and have heard the "horror stories". I have pretty easy access to george Washington national forest in both shenandoah and Warren counties.

Mostly I'm wondering if anyone knows how pressured those areas might be. I'm not scared of a little hiking but I also don't want to be surrounded by rifle hunters since I bowhunt. Just wondering if anyone in here has experience in those areas or any tips? I don't expect anyone to give up their spots or honey holes.

OP
R
Also I forgot to mention I am about 15 miles from the WVA border and am not opposed to hunting public there either if it's possible

It can be very area dependent. Some areas you won't see a person, others you can't find a place to pull off and park.

You just will need to go find out, but it's not like it's going to be a surprise once in the woods, you will know beforehand.

I lived in VA for 4 years. We made a yearly trip out to the NF/mountains around thanksgiving time. We loved every minute of it. I would not worry one bit about crowds. It’s nothing compared to out west. The deer density is lower than central VA and coastal VA but we always killed a deer hunting thanksgiving week. Wife’s first buck A337A805-94B4-4CC8-8F7F-555B69AEAB38.jpeg

OP
R
It can be very area dependent. Some areas you won't see a person, others you can't find a place to pull off and park.

You just will need to go find out, but it's not like it's going to be a surprise once in the woods, you will know beforehand.
I'm gonna drive past both accesses in the near future and scope it out. Thank you.

OP
R
I lived in VA for 4 years. We made a yearly trip out to the NF/mountains around thanksgiving time. We loved every minute of it. I would not worry one bit about crowds. It’s nothing compared to out west. The deer density is lower than central VA and coastal VA but we always killed a deer hunting thanksgiving week. Wife’s first buck View attachment 468290

It will be week after next before you know for certain. Muzzleloader season is when people really get out there, then of course general firearms.
Ahh good point, I only bowhunt so I don't really pay attention to firearm dates

I live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV. The NF is pretty sparse of people in both states during bow. Muzzleloader and rifle can be a bit busy, but if you walk back in, you honestly shouldn't run into many people. I'm still learning how to hunt the mountains and all of the land to roam is nice!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As far as the 2 wma's I've hunted in WV, they both have a lot of hunter sign. Sleepy Creek WMA is big, so it had a lot more room to get away from people.

PAE8824

FNG
My father, myself, and my son have all taken bucks in GWNF over Thanksgiving as well. Our experience is always very few hunters as soon as you get past the first access points. In fact, we have a certain drainage with a few ridges that we’ve hunted for 30 years and have had it to ourselves for for that long. We’ve taken bucks, seen bear, and turkey in there. Awesome hunting and beautiful country. But yes, deer density is low in the mountains, but they are there!

IMG_4668.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3139.jpeg
    IMG_3139.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 44

PAE8824

FNG
As far as the 2 wma's I've hunted in WV, they both have a lot of hunter sign. Sleepy Creek WMA is big, so it had a lot more room to get away from people.

I’ve also hunted this area - there are certainly a lot of guys. But like any public land, get on the steep stuff and you’ll find deer and get away from people.

We also found a stash of moonshine one year as well 😂

KMSbuck

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt the national forest in Central Virginia almost exclusively. I’m always surprised at how few hunters I run into, especially more than 1/2 mile back into the mountains. The deer are definitely sparse, though, and tend to be concentrated in certain spots that shift during the season. A good tactic I’ve found in November if you don’t know an area is to try to get above a big patch of mountain laurel on a steep hillside and watch that for cruising bucks.

Swamp Fox

WKR
My father, myself, and my son have all taken bucks in GWNF over Thanksgiving as well. Our experience is always very few hunters as soon as you get past the first access points. In fact, we have a certain drainage with a few ridges that we’ve hunted for 30 years and have had it to ourselves for for that long. We’ve taken bucks, seen bear, and turkey in there. Awesome hunting and beautiful country. But yes, deer density is low in the mountains, but they are there!

View attachment 567805
I can see my house from there!

Swamp Fox

WKR
I lived in VA for 4 years. We made a yearly trip out to the NF/mountains around thanksgiving time. We loved every minute of it. I would not worry one bit about crowds. It’s nothing compared to out west. The deer density is lower than central VA and coastal VA but we always killed a deer hunting thanksgiving week. Wife’s first buck View attachment 468290
That's a brute!

Has she let you live it down? You know you're in permanent second place now, right?

Swamp Fox

WKR
Well that means you live somewhere between Morgantown WVA, Virginia, and Myrtle Beach because from that exact spot I can clearly see all three of those through my Leica 10x42’s !
This is eerily accurate!

(Leica makes some good stuff!)

LOL