Ptiching Tipi in Sand

GoatNuts

FNG
Does anyone have any experience pitching a tipi (8 man Kifaru) in sand? If an area is nothing but loose sand (no other option available) would that be a disaster to attempt with a tipi? Late season, cold, windy....

Mike7

WKR
I took my tipi for a family rafting trip one year on the main Salmon River. We camped at the best spots (i.e. sandbars). Every afternoon on that trip we had about an hour of 30+ mph winds and thunderstorms. I didn't have really long stakes, but I am not sure how well long stakes would have done since 9-12 inches under the sand was streambed rock often. Maybe a snow-type stake would have worked? Bottom line is that we had to cut paracord to attach to every tipi stake spot in order to bury rocks and logs as "sand anchors". It worked, but what a pain. I almost only use a floorless tent/tarp...except, when camping on sandbars on the river, I bring a self supporting type dome tent. With the dome tent you can just fill the tent with gear and a couple of rocks, and maybe bury a sand anchor at the downriver corner where the afternoon storms/wind will be coming from. This is easy and your tent won't blow away. Also you will have better vetilation and won't have sand blowing through your tipi...although blowing sand can prevented by covering all of the tipi edges with sand.

OP
G

GoatNuts

FNG
Thanks for the input.

The "stakes" in the video from beachbunny look like they might work best for my concern.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Bughalli

WKR
Check out what REI has for snow camping to secure tents. In the past I used these little aluminum plates, much like the video above, but not as big. I bet they would work great for sand as well. Or just bury a couple logs in the sand and tie-off under ground before covering them.

Just looked them up...I use "SMC snow anchors"...relatively small, super lightweight, etc

Deadmen. Cut some 1 1/2"-2" diameter, green alders into 24" lengths. Use 24"-30" lengths of paracord, trip tease, shine line, whatever, to get the deadmen out further from the tent. The deadmen don't need to go as deep and come out more easily when retrieving your cordage.