PSA - Don't be a jackass out there

The page has over 5 million followers, so we are just a drop in a barrel.
This has become a trend of sorts. The number of videos on the 'gram just like this one is astounding
Like guys mag dumping their pistol off a ridge into a pristine mountain lake

This isn't new. About 20 years ago a gent in southern Montana was killed rock climbing when another climber started rolling boulders off of the top mindlessly and killed him. There was jail time but that didn't compensate for lack of a parent for his children.

I have been very reluctant to leave heavy cover while hunting because of stupid shooters.

I was fishing years ago in Vallecito creek, up where it cliffs out on both sides.
beautiful day, catching fish and nobody else on the water. Then a big rock hits the creek 50’ away. First thought was holy cow that was close, just wasn’t my time. I figured it was just a loose rock from the cliff.
Make another cast, here comes another rock. Then I remember the hiking trail up there. Get next to the cliff while screaming at them to stop it, I’m down here.

Yep, another rock. That’s enough. Had my handgun, aimed at a log on the far side of the creek and shot it 3 times. No more rocks, but I hung under the cliff for a while anyway, then went back to fishing. Those jackasses could have killed me and never known. I guess they must have known after my yelling to stop. WTF is wrong with people and this was before the instagram.

I halfway expected to find a deputy at the trailhead when I got back, which would have made my day confronting the rock pushers.

Hey, I just thought up a new thing…..
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a rock, is a good guy with a gun.
I had essentially the same thing with couple morons throwing rocks at me off a railroad bridge while standing bellybutton deep in river fly fishing and come running over to confront me as I headed out. Interesting expressions at the sight of SS revolver. Never go out to the lonely places with out your back-up.

That video has been around awhile. It's not a recent incident.

Go to youtube and search "push rock off cliff" You'll be shocked how many idiots live amongst us.

I was fishing years ago in Vallecito creek, up where it cliffs out on both sides.
beautiful day, catching fish and nobody else on the water. Then a big rock hits the creek 50’ away. First thought was holy cow that was close, just wasn’t my time. I figured it was just a loose rock from the cliff.
Make another cast, here comes another rock. Then I remember the hiking trail up there. Get next to the cliff while screaming at them to stop it, I’m down here.

Yep, another rock. That’s enough. Had my handgun, aimed at a log on the far side of the creek and shot it 3 times. No more rocks, but I hung under the cliff for a while anyway, then went back to fishing. Those jackasses could have killed me and never known. I guess they must have known after my yelling to stop. WTF is wrong with people and this was before the instagram.

I halfway expected to find a deputy at the trailhead when I got back, which would have made my day confronting the rock pushers.

Hey, I just thought up a new thing…..
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a rock, is a good guy with a gun.
Had a similar situation back in college. Some folks were launching empty 1.75L liquor bottles from across the way and they were crashing and breaking on our porch. I went out there and shot a couple of the bottles sitting in the yard that fell short and didn't break. They never bothered us again.

That video has been around awhile. It's not a recent incident.

Go to youtube and search "push rock off cliff" You'll be shocked how many idiots live amongst us.
I was afraid of that. Probably a few injuries and fatalities on the back end of the roll. I remember CDOT rolled a big one off Berthoud years ago expecting it to stop on a certain bench before it hit the switchback below. Hit a bus full of tourists on the switchback.

The page has over 5 million followers, so we are just a drop in a barrel.
This has become a trend of sorts. The number of videos on the 'gram just like this one is astounding

"Astounding" is too mild. Sickening maybe, disgusting... Overall it's very troubling that people are entertained by this kind of behavior. I'll take a room full of fudds droning on about the virtues of the pre-64 wood-stocked 30-06's vs crap like that (...and I'd gladly have one).

Yeah, men outgrew that, boys, well they need to be trained in how to be men lest they be worse than worthless.

Last edited:
Reminds me of that UT scout leader toppling over a hoodoo in Goblin Valley UT some years ago. Pretty sure he got in trouble for that one.

Dumb a$$ to be sure!

Years ago my wife and I were canoeing on the Yellowstone and saw a large splash up ahead, thought it was a beaver slapping his tail. Then another. Look up, way up- couple of guys tossing large rocks into the river right where we were headed (yurns out it was rest area off of the interstate).

After the third large rock hit, this time closer yet and knowing they saw us in the canoe- I raised up my .44 and sent a round that way. They scattered. Hard to believe someone would be so callous and so stupid.

"stupid is as stupid does"

Back