Protect Oregon's Spring Bear Hunt!

MatukaJoe

FNG
Oregon BHA, Howl, RMEF, OHA, and the whole of the OSCP are calling on YOU!
CALL TO ACTION - PROTECT SPRING BEAR HUNTING IN OREGON!⁣
. . . . ⁣
The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife recently released its recommendations for the 2025 big game regulations, with the commission scheduled to finalize these on September 13th. These recommendations, including season structures, quotas, limits, and special hunts, are based on extensive research and population data provided by the department’s biologists.⁣

Anti-hunting groups are pushing the commission to disregard these expert recommendations. They are particularly targeting the spring bear season, advocating for reductions and even elimination of Spring Bear Hunting!⁣

Your voice is your choice! Please lend it to support the recommended seasons and regulations as they were proposed and let the commission know that Spring Bear Hunting is sustainable and a viable source of food for hunter's families.⁣

Take Action Here! Add your Voice!
You can also go to the ODFW page to sign up and provide in-person testimony or Zoom testimony.⁣

Thank you!
Call to Action (2).png

OP
MatukaJoe

MatukaJoe

FNG
Should you need any talking points....
  • Bear populations in Oregon now are estimated at over 44000 bear and the population is growing
  • 2023 entire year harvest per ODFW was just over 2200 making bear hunting sustainable
  • Bear is excellent or exceptional meat and yes hunters eat it!
  • So called environmental groups do not walk their talk as they do not contribute funds to ODFW (over one-third of ODFW funding is via hunting & fishing license sales alone) nor are they active in hands on/boots on the ground conservation and restoration efforts
  • Spring bear are not sleepy slow creatures as the imagined postulations of the above "environmental groups." The bear are well out of hibernation and in full active mode come the season open

Last edited:
OP
MatukaJoe

MatukaJoe

FNG
Lastly if you dont live in Oegon I recommend looking at hunting spring bear here. IMO its one of the best western states for controlled spring bear even for non-resident. Don't worry locals I am not ruining anything you do recall the number of non-resident tags is capped?!? If you like send me a DM and I'll tell you why I believe that.

Looks like they require 48 hours advance notice to testify at the meeting (in less than 2 days) and don’t give a firm time for testimony.

Great example of an Oregon agency taking the public’s views into consideration.

OP
MatukaJoe

MatukaJoe

FNG
Looks like they require 48 hours advance notice to testify at the meeting (in less than 2 days) and don’t give a firm time for testimony.

Great example of an Oregon agency taking the public’s views into consideration.
They take public testimony every commission meeting that said they do have a time limit because otherwise everyone would sign up last minute so yes unfortunately for this commission meeting the in-person or zoom comment. has passed
To my last count and recollection between all the organizations there are well over a thousand letters in support of the spring bear seasons so far submitted with more coming in

Jimss

WKR
Colorado has some of the same things going on with predators and predator hunting. One thing I noticed while researching this was how many lion and black bear attacks have occurred in recent years. In fact, in California mtn lion fatal and nonfatal human attacks have gotten out of control since lion hunting was eliminated in 1999. There also is an amazing number of mtn lion attacks in recent years in California to children. '

Another item to consider particularly with mtn lions is their impact on wild sheep. Lions were found to be the detriment to desert sheep in New Mexico. New Mexico went to the extreme of increasing lion kills in areas with desert sheep. Desert sheep went from being listed as endangered to having this status de-listed once the lion kill project was enacted.

One other suggestion would be to look up how many humans have died from black bear attacks., I was alarmed at how many human fatalities have occurred from black bears. There may be a species of critters in Oregon that has high predation by bears that may be worth researching.

I really believe it is facts like these that will catch the public's attention. I feel that it is important to get these facts out to the public!