Processing meat after frozen

OP
L
Which vac seal do you recommend? Not sure if I want to go that route (more of a function of the ignorance of the cost than anything).
You can get one for around 100 Dollars. It will just be slower than a more expensive one and you may have to let it cool down some if your doing a big batch of vacuum sealing. Getting good vacuum sealer bags is very important

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
You can get one for around 100 Dollars. It will just be slower than a more expensive one and you may have to let it cool down some if your doing a big batch of vacuum sealing. Getting good vacuum sealer bags is very important
I picked up one of these last night. What you said is on par w what I’ve read. Buy once, cry once!!IMG_1857.png

I live in the land of permafrost most of the time. Often I have to thaw my quarters once I get them out of the woods. When I cut it up I place my hamburger meat double bagged in five gallon buckets (2 buckets per elk) and store in a freezer. It minimizes freezer burn.

When I need burge, I load up 300 lbs of bagged meat and take it into my local meat processor in the off season and have them grind it and package it in plastic airtight units. It has worked for over three decades.

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I live in the land of permafrost most of the time. Often I have to thaw my quarters once I get them out of the woods. When I cut it up I place my hamburger meat double bagged in five gallon buckets (2 buckets per elk) and store in a freezer. It minimizes freezer burn.

When I need burge, I load up 300 lbs of bagged meat and take it into my local meat processor in the off season and have them grind it and package it in plastic airtight units. It has worked for over three decadesTh
Nice that's legit

I understand your point. When I lived in Washington, I believe they had a law that you had to inventory your wild meat in your freezer each year. (I never did.)

I used to take meat to my old meat processor north of spokane to make german sausage every few years. Washinton rules changed and the time window they could process wild meat became so restrictive that my long term processor gave it up. Just another reason not to live in Washington.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I agree OP. I’ve froze and unfroze quarters several times depending on what’s going on on my schedule. I’ve never noticed it impact the quality of burger, even the steaks.