Primer selection?

CBB1

WKR
I’m am getting back into reloading and am a little confused about primer selection given the current shortages. The only large rifle primers I have been able to find available are CCI 200 LRP. However, a lot of the load data I’ve looked at shows Win. primers and I have a buddy that only uses Fed. Primers. Does the brand make that much of a difference to someone that isn’t doing long range match reloading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
While they all can and do work, it's been my experience that different primers in the same load can change velocity, ES, and grouping. If you work your load up with a particular primer and it works, i wouldnt sweat it. But, if you have to change primers for whatever reason it may be prudent to tinker with it at the range noting any differences. May also proceed with caution if changing primers with a near max load

rayporter

WKR
some powders are hard to "light off" and need hotter primers.

in small cases that take small rifle primers you can run into primers that blank which requires a switch to thicker cup material.

in general the cci will do just fine for most jobs.

OP
C

CBB1

WKR
Thanks guys I just picked up a brick which should last me a long time. Mainly reloading 243, 270, and 308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vern400

WKR
While they all can and do work, it's been my experience that different primers in the same load can change velocity, ES, and grouping. If you work your load up with a particular primer and it works, i wouldnt sweat it. But, if you have to change primers for whatever reason it may be prudent to tinker with it at the range noting any differences. May also proceed with caution if changing primers with a near max load
Agree. They all work. Had best luck with Federal 210/210M/210GMM.
BUT I tried 4064 powder and could not get good groups in my 308. I know it's a great powder. it just wouldn't work like RL15 or Varget.
Just before giving up, I tried Remington primers. Why not? IMR4064 and Remington primers were both developed by DuPont. Maybe they work good together. I tried it and immediately the groups tightened up. I shot enough large groups that I know it's statistically significant. But we are talking about taking the last 3/8 or 1/2 in out of groups. It seems like certain powders don't really like certain primers. But you've got to be pretty far along with accuracy development before you can find that. I've had quite a few high ES loads that shoot pretty good at 100 yards, and start stringing vertically as you get further out.
Bullet weight can do the same thing. Got one 308 that likes 150s and a heavier barrel gun that slightly prefers 165/168s.