Preferred dates for OTC Idaho

Curious to know when people like to head out to to mountains for the general mule deer seasons in Idaho. Many of these units open on October 10th and run through to the 24th.

I have historically hunted the last week, but am interested in switching things up and heading out for the first week of the season. Something about being the first rifle hunters in there sounds attractive.

So what say you, do you shoot for the first half or second half of the season for units that close on the 24th?

Otto#14

FNG
Curious to know when people like to head out to to mountains for the general mule deer seasons in Idaho. Many of these units open on October 10th and run through to the 24th.

I have historically hunted the last week, but am interested in switching things up and heading out for the first week of the season. Something about being the first rifle hunters in there sounds attractive.

So what say you, do you shoot for the first half or second half of the season for units that close on the 24th?
I had a Frank church wilderness tag two years ago which was in Sept. This year I have a 76 TAG with the October dates. I too am interested in early vs late portion of the season! I probably should not go mid season as my 1st wedding anniversary is the 14th. Probably dont want to piss her off this early in the marriage!

farmermail

Lil-Rokslider
Start in archery, if no luck, move to rifle. So later in October for myself specific to rifle season. A nice, mature fuzzy mule deer still eludes me....

collinjet

FNG
I recently spoke with a biologist and he informed me that the first 10 days of the season are best. Might not be the case but I will be making the drive from WI a few days early to ride my dual sport in the Tetons. Still plan to scout and have camp set up October 9th!

Outside of the weather and moon phase, I'd also consider any other hunts going on in the unit(s) during the muley season. Should help you determine hunting pressure and how many pullouts you'll have to pass by to park a truck.

nphunter

WKR
Decide how many days you can go, start on the last day do the season and count backward that many days and start then. Mule deer start cruising for does mid Oct. by the last week end Oct some are already breading does.

Find remote pockets of deer and you will find more bucks. Idaho has good deer populations so just because your seeing does doesn’t mean there’s a buck even in the rut, he could be breading does at night.

Bucks will also move all day, spend 100% of daylight hours hunting, cover ground checking pockets and spend a lot of time glassing.

Whole season if hunting the front country. It just depends year to year and unit to unit. Last few years I've only hunted the last week and it just hasn't worked out.