Preferred Barrel Taperless Contour

jgraff08

FNG
Maybe I should backup. What's taperless?
Ok honestly if u Google preferred barrel contours there little video on the page is super helpful but the short of it is weight and diameter. If u run a can and want that .700+ muzzle your look at a 3,3b,4 contours which is 3.5 to 4.5 pound blank a 750 taperless which comes off the chamber drops to 750 straight is 3 lbs. Some claim more accurate but to me theres alot of variables to say that

wildcat33

WKR
So question was that a 43 oz finished like chambered all that or not i have a 27 cal on order considering flutes but want a idea on weight u know thanks
That’s the weight cut, fluted, chambered and ready to go

Hurley88

FNG
Is there an advantage or weight difference between their .750 taperless versus their Lite Hybrid contour for a Tikka? I imagine the latter shaves a few more ounces and is offered for those wanting to retain the factory stock, but can’t see any other difference. I’m curious for a build I’m doing.

Is there an advantage or weight difference between their .750 taperless versus their Lite Hybrid contour for a Tikka? I imagine the latter shaves a few more ounces and is offered for those wanting to retain the factory stock, but can’t see any other difference. I’m curious for a build I’m doing.
The hybrid is a little bit lighter

Hurley88

FNG
Thanks. Felt like a dumb question when I asked, but all this taperless talk being slightly more accurate got me curious as to whether there was some theoretical advantage to the longer full diameter end at the chamber. Shank length? Don’t know the proper term.

Hoping Preferred works out, I ordered the Hybrid just to do less work to the barrel channel. It’ll be my first from them. I’ll report back, but it’ll be November or later before I’m actually shooting it.

Hurley88

FNG
I’m looking at a 21” barrel. I’ve emailed Preferred and they said the .750 and lite contour are about the same at 2.7lbs and the .810 is 3lbs. I’m building a lightweight rifle - not an ultralight. Shooting for 8-8.5lbs. So either contour would work. I think carbon looks cool but would put the up charge towards a scope.

How’s the accuracy with the taperless?

Any regrets?
Some weights to help you out, as I’m doing the same:

Factory Tikka with Leupold duplex scope runs around 7-1/4lbs all dressed up. With turret scopes they run 7-3/4 to 8lbs.

My factory configurations ran 7-7/8 lbs with SWFA 3-9x42 and 8lbs even with Athlon Midas TAC 44mm. The latter is a 6.5CM at 20-1/8” barrel. Can’t remember what length I ordered, but that’s what the tape measure says lol.

I’m pulling an action off a rifle for this build. If the Hybrid Lite adds a couple ounces and the AG Alpine Hunter adds a couple I will end up over 8lbs but for sure below 8.5lbs.

PM me if you want more weights I don’t want to clutter up the thread with a buncha numbers. I tried to neurotically weigh each part as I went along.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There are photos in this thread on a normal Tikka barrel, hybrid lite and the .75” taperless.

jgraff08

FNG
My taperless weighs 3 pounds 6 oz the way it showed up from preferred not chambered or nothing yet its a 750 27 cal

Hurley88

FNG
My taperless weighs 3 pounds 6 oz the way it showed up from preferred not chambered or nothing yet its a 750 27 cal
Wow, I have a CTR barrel I weighed that came out to 3lbs 7oz. That chamber end must add more than I thought. I bet once chambered it’ll lose about 9oz or so.

Hurley88

FNG
There are photos in this thread on a normal Tikka barrel, hybrid lite and the .75” taperless.

Thanks, don’t know how I missed that one.