Powder Storage Question - Summer Heat

gf99-99

FNG
Hi All,

Kind of a strange question but my brother randomly noticed that I store some of my larger 4lbs tubs in the garage (I admit have a reloading component hoarding disorder plus I shoot ALOT of competitive skeet and sporting clays so I use much larger quantities of powder than the average person) and asked if the heat is dangerous.

I have kept powder in the garage for years with no issues but... I never actually thought of it or knew the answer. So figured I would reach out on here and see what others thoughts are. Also note that I am located in AZ and in the middle of summer it can get pretty toasting.

A lot of that will depend on how long you're storing it in your garage, and what the max temperatures are. And, whether or not the containers are sealed, or have been partially used.

I'm curious to follow along and see if it changes the properties or degrades it in any way.

For storage I store mine in the big safe anyway, just in case there's a fire in the house.

OP
G

gf99-99

FNG
A lot of that will depend on how long you're storing it in your garage, and what the max temperatures are. And, whether or not the containers are sealed, or have been partially used.

Well this summer there were several 115 days in AZ so its pretty hot. All are sealed new (but lets be honest is that little paper seal really sealing anything? The crappy Hodgdon really comes to mind) I would say most have spent 1 summer maybe 2 at the most in the garage. I do use a fair amount of powder so I try and cycle through it, but at the same time I do keep a very large stock on hand for the next powder shortage.

I guess worst case I just bring it all inside the house (its alot!) however the major issue and I mean MAJOR issue with that is we all know what kind of speech I am going to get from the "boss". For those that do not have a house in AZ basements are non existent and I am not fortunate enough to have a whole man cave dedicated room. So a huge rack full of powder jugs apparently does not go well with the house decor and also apparently I should not have all those "bottles of chemicals in the house, they belong in the garage"