Potential Blasphemy - Modifying/Replacing Barrett Fieldcraft Stock

gtriple

WKR
Firstly, I absolutely love my Fieldcraft (shown in my sig). But the more I shoot with a chassis (and soon with the Rokstok), the less I like the stock shape on the FC. The LOP is too long, the cheek is too low, I don't like the Monte Carlo/raised cheek weld on one side, and the grip angle/distance is much too long for my hands.

Is it possible for a gunsmith to modify a stock this much or will it basically turn out looking like junk?

Is there any aftermarket stock (even a custom stock) that could be cut to the inlet and fully bedded like the FC?

Could Melvin's old shop still make a stock but with the changes stated above?

Appreciate the responses.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
Melvin used to make a stock with a vertical pistol grip and wide forend for target and varmint. Not sure there's anyone left at his shop these days after his passing.

With enough fiberglass and resin you can modify it how you want it. Maybe practice on something replaceable first...

ElPollo

WKR
The LOP is easy to fix. Changing stock ergos beyond that can be done, but it can’t be undone. I’ve done it and used lightweight epoxy putty to keep the weight additions down. Search for my posts in the Stocky’s VG Hunter thread if you want to try that. But honestly, those Fieldcrafts fetch a pretty penny. And there isn’t an aftermarket stock available for them to my knowledge. I would consider selling it and starting over with something that fits you better or that has aftermarket options.

The LOP is easy to fix. Changing stock ergos beyond that can be done, but it can’t be undone. I’ve done it and used lightweight epoxy putty to keep the weight additions down. Search for my posts in the Stocky’s VG Hunter thread if you want to try that. But honestly, those Fieldcrafts fetch a pretty penny. And there isn’t an aftermarket stock available for them to my knowledge. I would consider selling it and starting over with something that fits you better or that has aftermarket options.
Agreed,lop or a riser shouldn’t be a big deal.
I have two im going to make work because I like them but I am looking into getting them cerakoted and adding a short pic rail .

ElPollo

WKR
Agreed,lop or a riser shouldn’t be a big deal.
I have two im going to make work because I like them but I am looking into getting them cerakoted and adding a short pic rail .
The Victor comb risers work pretty well. Require drilling the comb for screws, but I’ve heard of people using double stick tape or glue.

Check out the stock mods in the DIY forum. It's very doable with the help of those threads and YouTube. If I had one it would be getting modified.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
I’m thinking about chopping .5” off the LOP. It should be simple enough. I’d prefer a negative comb that goes a little higher and a closer/more vertical grip. Not sure I have the skills to even band aid something together that would be an improvement there.

Last edited:

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
The guys at Melvin’s old shop have a good reputation for quality, new shop name is OutKast Arms.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
The guys at Melvin’s old shop have a good reputation for quality, new shop name is OutKast Arms.

This is what I was looking for!

gbflyer

WKR
Modifications would be considered blasphemy, yes, and you would most assuredly perish in flame for doing so. I’d recommend a different stock.