Posession limit ?

rlmmarine

WKR
If i shoot my possession limit in AZ and take the birds back to Fl can you legally take the Fl possession limit of 45 birds. Totalling 90 birds in the refrig.
So does your possession limit hold for only one state or can you go over if you have licenses and filled them in other states.
Thanks in advanced. I asked a few other hunters around, and the answers were all across the board

Jimmy

WKR
If you get stopped and have 300 birds in your possession, how can you prove you took them in different states? Maybe have someone from game and fish write some kind of receipt and add their phone number? I'd ask a wildlife official your question.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Words do have specific meanings.

The word Possession means exactly that, how much of something you have in your possession. They wont care where you took the birds, the fact is that they say you can only POSSESS so many birds of that species at a time.

I'd talk with your local game officials but I'd bet that they will say exactly what I've stated.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on the state law and how the local game and fish enforces the law. Some states count processed birds as part of the possession limit

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Posession limits are one of those things that is you personal responsibility to understand and abide to in the event that an officer of the law is investigating the number of such animals, birds, fish etc. that you possess. That would be a question best clarified by an officer in the state that you are in and the one you are headed to.

In my research I have found that posession limits are somewhat of an outdated regulation that goes back to the market hunting days.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Possession limit here is in your freezer daily limit is what you can kill each day. With out some sort of proof you would be paying a big fine here. Warden will write how many birds you had in your possession in South Dakota so if you go hunt another state you don’t get pinched

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I've always heard 'possession' defined by how many you have in exactly that, possession. The only way to decrease your n= is to either consume it or give it away

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Possession limit here is in your freezer daily limit is what you can kill each day. With out some sort of proof you would be paying a big fine here. Warden will write how many birds you had in your possession in South Dakota so if you go hunt another state you don’t get pinched

The warden isn't writing how many birds you taken to help you take more birds, he's doing it to tally how many birds you've taken to track your limits.

Lets say that you take 6 ducks per day (bag limit) for three consecutive days and you've reached your possession limit in South Dakota.

The warden writes down how many ducks you've taken each day so he knows that you haven't exceeded the daily limit or the possession limit.

But then you go to another state on the fourth day and you take 6 more ducks and then come home.

If the warden checks your freezer then you're going to get a citation for exceeding the possession limit. It doesn't matter where you got those ducks, just because they came from out of state it doesn't matter, you still have more than the possession limit.

remeber a possession limit is just that. the law actually makes no mention of how or where they were obtained so it doesnt matter where you killed them.

ok just looked above.. looks like several have already pointed that out.

OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
So another way of looking at this is ky(where i used to live ) has a one buck limit. But if i shoot a buck in SD i cant bring it back because its a one buck limit? So i have to donate the meat?

Im going to ask my local warden this question. But when you change the species it doesnt sound correct.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Game and birds are two different things and are managed differently.

Birds have daily bag limits and possession limits, most game do not. Most game animals are limited by the fact that you have to buy a tag to take the animal and you can only buy one tag in your home state.

If your state has a possession limit for deer, and it's only one deer, then no, you can't shoot one deer in your home state and another in another state.

In every state I've lived in (Arizona, Utah, Kansas, Montana), the regulations are written so that you can only get one tag for each species and every animal you take has to have a tag attached to the animal after you've taken it. They do not limit your possession, you can have more than one deer in your freezer but you have to have the tag attached to the meat to prove that only one of those deer came from your home state. Any other deer had better be from another state (unless you took part in some special program that that allowed more than one deer)

OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
Game and birds are two different things and are managed differently.

Birds have daily bag limits and possession limits, most game do not. Most game animals are limited by the fact that you have to buy a tag to take the animal and you can only buy one tag in your home state.

If your state has a possession limit for deer, and it's only one deer, then no, you can't shoot one deer in your home state and another in another state.

In every state I've lived in (Arizona, Utah, Kansas, Montana), the regulations are written so that you can only get one tag for each species and every animal you take has to have a tag attached to the animal after you've taken it. They do not limit your possession, you can have more than one deer in your freezer but you have to have the tag attached to the meat to prove that only one of those deer came from your home state. Any other deer had better be from another state (unless you took part in some special program that that allowed more than one deer)
Thankyou

Afhunter1

WKR
What if you bought market ducks and killed them and had 10 in your freezer. How could a warden distinguish them from the hunted ducks? Now remember you don't have to say anything it is on the warden to prove guilt and make a citation. If you said "I bought them" he has to prove you didn't. You don't have to prove you did.

I just see if possession limit meant freezer there is absolutely no way a warden could sort game parts and pieces and make a case to convince a judge.

This is my logic. Each state has a legal right to manage and adopt their own game laws, in which they apply to that specific states game. As such, one states game laws (in reference to possession only as there are some obvious exceptions) do not apply to another states. However, you must be able to prove the game was taken in a different state. Every state that Ia m aware of has import/export/declaration forms that can be completed and certified. For example, I have hunted Mexico, driving in and out. I have completed the Ca DFW import of game forms and declared the game at the border when I crossed; in which Border Patrol stamped them. A bit further down the road was an agriculture stop, in which I declared them again, and presented my forms and passed through. Both locations inspected my game, and the dried hides I was importing into Ca. I had no issues.

Thus, I believe, with the correct paperwork, processed and packaged specifically stating where the game came from, and the package stamped properly, you should be perfectly legal in possessing both states bag limits, as the regulations only apply to the specific states the game was harvested from. However, I would be very diligent in ascertaining exactly what documentation is needed from all governing agencies, i.e., DFW/DFG. Agraculture...

So another way of looking at this is ky(where i used to live ) has a one buck limit. But if i shoot a buck in SD i cant bring it back because its a one buck limit? So i have to donate the meat?

Im going to ask my local warden this question. But when you change the species it doesnt sound correct.
not even in the same ballpark. possession limit for game birds is totally different. never seen a possession limit for big game.

This is my logic. Each state has a legal right to manage and adopt their own game laws, in which they apply to that specific states game. As such, one states game laws (in reference to possession only as there are some obvious exceptions) do not apply to another states. However, you must be able to prove the game was taken in a different state. Every state that Ia m aware of has import/export/declaration forms that can be completed and certified. For example, I have hunted Mexico, driving in and out. I have completed the Ca DFW import of game forms and declared the game at the border when I crossed; in which Border Patrol stamped them. A bit further down the road was an agriculture stop, in which I declared them again, and presented my forms and passed through. Both locations inspected my game, and the dried hides I was importing into Ca. I had no issues.

Thus, I believe, with the correct paperwork, processed and packaged specifically stating where the game came from, and the package stamped properly, you should be perfectly legal in possessing both states bag limits, as the regulations only apply to the specific states the game was harvested from. However, I would be very diligent in ascertaining exactly what documentation is needed from all governing agencies, i.e., DFW/DFG. Agraculture...
you would be wrong. keep in mind the possession limits do not just apply to the person who hunted the game and you do not need a license to possess the game. my wife who does not even have a hunting license is allowed to possess 3 limits of birds. lets use doves as an example..i can gift 45 doves to her. and i am fine to shoot another 45 over the next three days. the same is true for anyone. in California you are allowed to possess 3 times the daily bag limit. no where does it say you are allowed to possess three limits of doves killed in california only or designate any origin of the hunted birds. If i bring in 46 doves from nevada I am guility of being one dove over the possession limit. It doesnt matter where they came from or how you got them. honestly possesion limits are rarely enforced. Often times it is used when someone is taking gross overlimits and the wardens cannot show when they were taken. the possession limits end up being used so they can get them on something. shit i bet half the duck hunters in the state are guilty of possession limits by the time january rolls around. can you imagine how many ducks are in the freezers of the guys shooting a few limits a week.