Portland Oregon

ODB

WKR
The opioids and synthetic opioids are so powerful, one should not be suprised that addicts destroy their minds and emotions. Living on the street is their only real option if the state does not incarcerate them

We are in the third opium war at the moment. No one really seems to notice or want to stop it.

As far as the addicted/homeless…not a popular opinion among some but every one of them should be moved into shelters outside of populated areas (because of ready access to the things that are killing them) and treated for mental issues and addiction. There is no “lose” in that situation. To allow people to live on the streets, slowly (or in some cases quickly) rotting away, incapable of changing their behaviour, being a harm to themselves and others, is not my definition of a civil/compassionate society. Suicide is illegal, so they say, but as long as it’s at the end of a needle or a crack pipe, or a bottle, it’s OK apparently.

The McMenamins Edgefield outside of portland used to be a poor farm, have stayed there dozens of times. A place like that, that can give people help and purpose, like supporting their own/local community through farming, trades etc, is the way it should be.

I went through Portland once on my way to Old Trapper Jerky to pick up some equipment. NEVER AGAIN! Took a day trip out to Tillamook and that was beautiful. Ended up making a big loop and came out through the 3 sisters and then on to Bend. Definitely a beautiful state. In my own State I don’t think Albuquerque will be far behind.

Mosby

WKR
I stopped going to the PNW Sportmen's show in Portland because of the crime and homelessness. No way I can walk around, go to restaurants etc., which is half the fun. I will likely never be back.

It’s really sad what has happened here in my lifetime.

One of the strangest things to witness is when you drive any direction OUT of Portland, and hit the city limit line. It’s like you cross into a different country.

As soon as you cross that city limit line, everything is pretty much back to normal IMMEDIATELY.

The criminals all know you want to commit crimes in Multnomah County.

So if any of you have to travel to Portland for any reasons, just stay in one of the surrounding cities. A 10-15 minute drive can makes all the difference in the world.

87TT

WKR
Portland is definitely the worst but all the bigger OR cities are bad. The drug laws and policies of western OR and Portland have been forced on the rest of OR and it shows. I have known several people who have been addicted to drugs from heroin to crack. The ones who were finally able to kick the habit and become productive, all did it after waking up in jail in withdrawal more than once and finally deciding they were done and didn't want to be there and going through that again.
Yes, there are drugs in prison but not that much and most can't afford it. If we make it easy for them. no one will quit drugs on there own no matter how much therapy or rehab we throw at them. Tough love is the only thing I have seen work. It is like feeding wildlife. It feels good but doesn't help it in the long run.

xsn10s

WKR
Portland is definitely the worst but all the bigger OR cities are bad. The drug laws and policies of western OR and Portland have been forced on the rest of OR and it shows. I have known several people who have been addicted to drugs from heroin to crack. The ones who were finally able to kick the habit and become productive, all did it after waking up in jail in withdrawal more than once and finally deciding they were done and didn't want to be there and going through that again.
Yes, there are drugs in prison but not that much and most can't afford it. If we make it easy for them. no one will quit drugs on there own no matter how much therapy or rehab we throw at them. Tough love is the only thing I have seen work. It is like feeding wildlife. It feels good but doesn't help it in the long run.
This news station dealt with this exact topic. And they found a program that had a ninety something success rate with heroin addiction. This idea of allowing more drugs into our society isn't working. And not enforcing our current laws is increasing crime. Hopefully a change will come soon.

Portland is definitely the worst but all the bigger OR cities are bad. The drug laws and policies of western OR and Portland have been forced on the rest of OR and it shows.

I can’t think of any other “big city” in Oregon that is remotely close to as much of a crap hole as Portland. Not even half as bad.

Any other city overall quality of life can easily be WAY better, and on par with city living in pretty much any other state I have been too.

Almost daily shootings in broad daylight are NORMAL inside Portland

Homeless drug addicts are visible within a 5 minute drive of just about every part of Portland I can think of.

xsn10s

WKR
It’s really sad what has happened here in my lifetime.

One of the strangest things to witness is when you drive any direction OUT of Portland, and hit the city limit line. It’s like you cross into a different country.

As soon as you cross that city limit line, everything is pretty much back to normal IMMEDIATELY.

The criminals all know you want to commit crimes in Multnomah County.

So if any of you have to travel to Portland for any reasons, just stay in one of the surrounding cities. A 10-15 minute drive can makes all the difference in the world.
What is also sad is the votes in that area control the whole state. Same is true for California and Washington. Both of which are beautiful states other than the mess in the cities.

87TT

WKR
I can’t think of any other “big city” in Oregon that is remotely close to as much of a crap hole as Portland. Not even half as bad.

Any other city overall quality of life can easily be WAY better, and on par with city living in pretty much any other state I have been too.

Almost daily shootings in broad daylight are NORMAL inside Portland

Homeless drug addicts are visible within a 5 minute drive of just about every part of Portland I can think of.
I guess it depends on what you call bad.

Rick M.

WKR
I lived in Vancouver WA for a while. Portland is the worst city I've experienced in this country. You can see trash and needles strewn along the sides of the highways from Portland all the way to Seattle. Enormous homeless camps butted right up to school parks and playgrounds and at nearly every inner-city interchange. Graffiti deliberately painted over traffic signs to confuse drivers, or signs removed altogether (doesn't get fixed or replaced). My wife and I went downtown with our son once, and had to park amongst a sea of tents - several of which were actively on fire, and yet they have the audacity to ask you to pay for parking. There was a major bridge downtown with signage on it begging for donations to repair it (in one of the heaviest taxed cities in the nation). The homeless are not your typical "don't bother me and I won't bother you" types, they are aggressive, unruly, and seem to have a chip on their shoulder against anyone not also homeless. Many of them have serious mental issues, and the drug use is egregious. I'm talking shooting up in public parks and on sidewalks outside of businesses essentially daring families to try and utilize the space. They've taken over every public space and they know it. They seem to relish in it.

Portland has the distinct feel of a decayed, crumbling, forgotten, abandoned city, and yet they still collect 8% or more in non-progressive income tax. I'd always tell my wife that there must be some incredibly rich politicians in Oregon, because all that tax money is going straight into their pockets. You can visibly see that none of it goes back to the city.

Here is the worst part about Portland. You can't talk about it. If you so much as mention the homeless problem, the infrastructure issues, the criminally misused taxes, or any of the myriad other problems rotting the city, you will be promptly and viciously mobbed by extreme left-wing nutjobs. They are so protective over their sh*t-hole city it almost boggles the mind. How does a city even begin fixing it's issues if they can't even be discussed? But they'd have you believe Portland is some gem of paradise, when it's really more like a bunch of mentally-ill extremists gleefully playing in shit that they mistakenly believe to be gold. To make matters even worse, there's a pervading counter-culture of extreme right-wing nutjobs as well. So there's no middle-ground at all, no common thread of community, it's simply a bunch of people that are so far to one side or the other that it feels as if everyone has lost their minds.

Portland is a truly weird place I'll never return to. And Portland prides itself on that fact.

I guess it depends on what you call bad.
The city of Portland was the benchmark for what ad is I just stated I don’t know of any other cities in Oregon that are house as bad as Portland.

In your opinion, what other cities in Oregon have a similar really crappy quality of life like Portland?

By quality of life, I would mean homeless people everywhere crimes committed in broad, daylight, routinely, empty buildings graffiti trash all over the place, shootings, other violent, crimes, etc.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I lived in Vancouver WA for a while. Portland is the worst city I've experienced in this country. You can see trash and needles strewn along the sides of the highways from Portland all the way to Seattle. Enormous homeless camps butted right up to school parks and playgrounds and at nearly every inner-city interchange. Graffiti deliberately painted over traffic signs to confuse drivers, or signs removed altogether (doesn't get fixed or replaced). My wife and I went downtown with our son once, and had to park amongst a sea of tents - several of which were actively on fire, and yet they have the audacity to ask you to pay for parking. There was a major bridge downtown with signage on it begging for donations to repair it (in one of the heaviest taxed cities in the nation). The homeless are not your typical "don't bother me and I won't bother you" types, they are aggressive, unruly, and seem to have a chip on their shoulder against anyone not also homeless. Many of them have serious mental issues, and the drug use is egregious. I'm talking shooting up in public parks and on sidewalks outside of businesses essentially daring families to try and utilize the space. They've taken over every public space and they know it. They seem to relish in it.

Portland has the distinct feel of a decayed, crumbling, forgotten, abandoned city, and yet they still collect 8% or more in non-progressive income tax. I'd always tell my wife that there must be some incredibly rich politicians in Oregon, because all that tax money is going straight into their pockets. You can visibly see that none of it goes back to the city.

Here is the worst part about Portland. You can't talk about it. If you so much as mention the homeless problem, the infrastructure issues, the criminally misused taxes, or any of the myriad other problems rotting the city, you will be promptly and viciously mobbed by extreme left-wing nutjobs. They are so protective over their sh*t-hole city it almost boggles the mind. How does a city even begin fixing it's issues if they can't even be discussed? But they'd have you believe Portland is some gem of paradise, when it's really more like a bunch of mentally-ill extremists gleefully playing in shit that they mistakenly believe to be gold. To make matters even worse, there's a pervading counter-culture of extreme right-wing nutjobs as well. So there's no middle-ground at all, no common thread of community, it's simply a bunch of people that are so far to one side or the other that it feels as if everyone has lost their minds.

Portland is a truly weird place I'll never return to. And Portland prides itself on that fact.
I will never return either. We did notice trying to navigate around was a bit of a pain since many signs were gone or covered in graffiti. We went to a brewery for lunch and the closest intersection was vacant and full of garbage and passed out crack heads but the parking police were in full force. Mind blowing to see such things in our country.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Elections have consequences. The rapid decay, of a once beautiful city, is shocking.
As a lifelong Oregon resident I see the issues Portland is having, spreading throughout the rest of the state. This is what 40 years of Democrat leadership gets you.

xsn10s

WKR
The city of Portland was the benchmark for what ad is I just stated I don’t know of any other cities in Oregon that are house as bad as Portland.

In your opinion, what other cities in Oregon have a similar really crappy quality of life like Portland?

By quality of life, I would mean homeless people everywhere crimes committed in broad, daylight, routinely, empty buildings graffiti trash all over the place, shootings, other violent, crimes, etc.
Bend is on track to mimic Portland. The Sheriff is going to make changes but the city has issues. One of my friends that lives there says the police have deemed some street as unsafe to enter.

2531usmc

WKR

Who would have guessed this is how civilization ends…..

Tmac

WKR
Portland, along with a number of other cities, is showing you the natural outcome of years of so called “Progressive” policies. It’s a contagious virus spread by voters that infects through the resultant policies. The only cure is tough love policies, which the progressive mind can’t seem to comprehend. Now with dominance at the OR state house, they are trying to implement the same/similar policies state wide.

What's not to love about high taxes (Portland now #2 in the USA), high crime, failed schools, onerous regulations, defunding the police, decriminalized drugs, lots of free stuff, and much more. What could possibly go wrong? Feckless leadership continues to win elections here, and I do not think enough voters will wake up to reverse course.

We are just south of PDX, in a sane town. But we are seriously considering leaving the state.

Bend is on track to mimic Portland. The Sheriff is going to make changes but the city has issues. One of my friends that lives there says the police have deemed some street as unsafe to enter.
I think that is a little over the top!

No Go zones in Bend!😂 I would love to know the name of the streets the police say are I safe to enter, please post.

Bend is no where near as crime riden and crappy as portland. Not even comparable.

I just spent 4 days for Mother’s Day weekend was all over Redmond and Bend

Saw maybe 6 homeless people total