Portland Oregon

FairWeatherFisher

Lil-Rokslider
The traffic alone keeps me out of PDX. I try not to go north of Salem.

Eugene isn’t much better than PDX in terms of crime and homelessness, but at least it’s smaller.

Extrapale

WKR
I have to visit Portland for the first time for work in a week or two. I am scared to stay in a hotel (well not physically scared as I'm always armed but just hate seeing sh*t hole cities overrun by bums).

Any recommendations on which part of town to stay in? Have some customers I am taking to dinner.
Outside Multnomah County.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I have to visit Portland for the first time for work in a week or two. I am scared to stay in a hotel (well not physically scared as I'm always armed but just hate seeing sh*t hole cities overrun by bums).

Any recommendations on which part of town to stay in? Have some customers I am taking to dinner.
Outside of Portland, and out of Multnomah county.

Not really sure what area your going too, but as soon as you get south of Johnson creek off interstate 205 it’s pretty good

Anywhere south of downtown portland off I5 is pretty good.

If there’s a certain area you wer thinking of going I could probably recommend good restaurants

duckhuntr

FNG
Portland truly is embarrassing to drive through. In just the 6 years we've lived in PNW its been a drastic decline.

I can't think of another City on this level, but I will say every town through that valley all the way to California is pretty rough. I've taken the family all the way to redwoods twice in last few years and stopping all along the way, the parks are filled with homeless, needles, and areas I don't feel safe getting the kids out at. Yet once you hit California, I don't notice nearly the homeless and disgusting activities in the parks.

We'd like to move to the Oregon Coast, but it does scare me a little of the overall state politics.

Oregon

WKR
And if that sounds harsh, too bad. Multnomah County drives almost all of Oregon’s politics. I’m on the hook politically for their political views and I’ve had a belly full for years.

Let it burn. They earned it.

P
Concur 1000%. Screw that place. I drive through enroute airport or to I-84 eastbound.
Have zero empathy for companies that close down and relocate

Last edited:

MT-Native

FNG
Yeah it’s Sad…I had to travle to Sacramento recently and it’s all the same from what I’m reading here. All these blue city’s are completely wrecked If/when people wake up to what’s going on, it will be too late.

Oregon

WKR
I have 2 kids living in Portland. Chasing the money. Too young to realize $55 an hour in Portland is $25 everywhere else. What I mean, is they live just like a $25 an hour person does in our small home town.
"But Dad, we have restaurants, nightlife, culture, ability to meet new people etc etc. "
Sure, there is that. Combined they have 5 smashed in vehicle windows in past 3 years.
I get it I suppose.
They've been in Portland 8 and 11 years. I live 70 miles away. I've been to one of their houses once, the other zero times. When my youngest daughter told me to remove any spare change and hide anything of value, sealed the deal.
Strangely, I still see them here for their "mini vacations" at least once a month.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I have 2 kids living in Portland. Chasing the money. Too young to realize $55 an hour in Portland is $25 everywhere else. What I mean, is they live just like a $25 an hour person does in our small home town.
"But Dad, we have restaurants, nightlife, culture, ability to meet new people etc etc. "
Sure, there is that. Combined they have 5 smashed in vehicle windows in past 3 years.
I get it I suppose.
They've been in Portland 8 and 11 years. I live 70 miles away. I've been to one of their houses once, the other zero times. When my youngest daughter told me to remove any spare change and hide anything of value, sealed the deal.
Strangely, I still see them here for their "mini vacations" at least once a month.
I have nieces and nephews that say the same exact thing. They've also turned blue as well which sucks. They don't live in Portland but same deal. I guess they just like the city life. 🤷‍♂️ Nice bull by the way.

TripleJ

WKR
I go out of my way to avoid even driving through Portland if I can. I'll drive over the pass down here and up 97 to 84 if I'm headed east. 45 minutes longer is worth my peace of mind most of the time. If I need to fly, I'll fly out of the Eugene airport, even though it's more money. Eugene isn't much better anymore, the whole I-5 corridor has become more and more of a trainwreck in the last decade.

Okhotnik

WKR
It's what happens when you shut down the national mental health system, it catches up to you 30 years later, and then you politcize the results.

Drug addiction, homelessness, violent crime, over crowded prisons, it all goes back to mental health.
its a drug addiction problem, not a mental health problem. Ask any addict that beat his/ her addiction and they'll be honest and state that enabling and making lives more comfortable for addicts is the worst cure for the problem. That's why Washington, Oregon California libs always fail over and over and ruin good safe, thriving cities with their misguided ignorant harmful good intentions legalizing crime, hard drugs and defunding the police

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
its a drug addiction problem, not a mental health problem. Ask any addict that beat his/ her addiction and they'll be honest and state that enabling and making lives more comfortable for addicts is the worst cure for the problem. That's why Washington, Oregon California libs always fail over and over and ruin good safe, thriving cities with their misguided ignorant harmful good intentions legalizing crime, hard drugs and defunding the police
Total BS, if the conservatives hadn't launched the war on drugs in the 80's, we wouldn't be where we are now in this country. Conservatism's Profit Over People propaganda for the last century has destroyed our social programs. At least Portland has the balls to legalize everything to encourage the drug prices are worth nothing, and to lessen cartel influence/big pharma in this country and the world. We will lose a lot of folks the first few years but it will get better. Everything we do in every situation in our lives is based on the health of ones mind.

2531usmc

WKR
Total BS, if the conservatives hadn't launched the war on drugs in the 80's, we wouldn't be where we are now in this country. Conservatism's Profit Over People propaganda for the last century has destroyed our social programs. At least Portland has the balls to legalize everything to encourage the drug prices are worth nothing, and to lessen cartel influence/big pharma in this country and the world. We will lose a lot of folks the first few years but it will get better. Everything we do in every situation in our lives is based on the health of ones mind.
Portland’s carefully thought out plan seems to be working so well…..

Flyjunky

WKR
I think that is a little over the top!

No Go zones in Bend!😂 I would love to know the name of the streets the police say are I safe to enter, please post.

Bend is no where near as crime riden and crappy as portland. Not even comparable.

I just spent 4 days for Mother’s Day weekend was all over Redmond and Bend

Saw maybe 6 homeless people total
I’ve lived in Bend for 25+ years, never heard of “no go” areas around here.

IdahoBeav

WKR

Those are quite the blinders you must be wearing to place blame for the War on Drugs squarely on conservatives. Subsidizing poverty only increased the poverty problem. The same is happening with subsidizing addiction. Policing it is also very expensive and ineffective.

The government always says they can fix problems, but they have a long and expensive history of only making them worse.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Funniest joke I’ve seen on here all day. If you’re serious I feel sorry for you.

Chad717

FNG
Portland’s carefully thought out plan seems to be working so well…..
Explain to me why conservative cities don’t have these problems then? Totally ridiculous answer

Flyjunky

WKR
Like I said above, these things are deliberate and planned. These cities aren't like this from drugs or mental health issues. The mayors and Governors WANT it this way or they would get rid of these losers. They pass laws to encourage this behavior. Portland used to be a beautiful city. I lived near there in the late 90's and we used to take the kids to the zoo and walk around downtown. Now it is a zoo.
This is exactly right! It’s a total scam. It’s no different than the inner cities and the black population. These people vote for dems because they say they care, in turn this raises campaign dollars, yet they never fix anything. Then they come back in 2/4 years saying the same thing for more money and votes…the cycle continues. One of my good friends who lives in a big city back east says the black community is finally waking up to this. All his friends are starting to realize they’re being played, they’re pawns. The politicians in these cities don’t want to fix the problem, too many votes and money at stake. As said elsewhere in this thread, it’s big business.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Do you care to elaborate on this? I'm curious as to the basis for these statements.

IdahoBeav

WKR
This is exactly right! It’s a total scam. It’s no different than the inner cities and the black population. These people vote for dems because they say they care, in turn this raises campaign dollars, yet they never fix anything. Then they come back in 2/4 years saying the same thing for more money and votes…the cycle continues. One of my good friends who lives in a big city back east says the black community is finally waking up to this. All his friends are starting to realize they’re being played, they’re pawns. The politicians in these cities don’t want to fix the problem, too many votes and money at stake. As said elsewhere in this thread, it’s big business.
The "Urban Plantation", the Democrats devised this in the 60s and have been executing it ever since.